+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fewell's 2010 Defence was Ranked 7th in the League

Why such the big drop off?

It's the same system as last year...the only difference is the personnel in the system

Lets look at the stats:

310.8 total yards/game Rank: 7th
    209.5 passing yards/game Rank: 9th
    101.2 rushing yards/game Rank:8th

385.1 total yards/game Rank: 29th
    passing yards/game Rank: 29th
    127.6 rushing yards/game Rank: 22nd

Main differences in personnel from 2010 to this season:

1.No Goff at MLB
    2.No T2
    3.Rolle playing more CB than Safety
    4.No Cofield at DT

Now i'm not giving Fewell a pass by any means, but imo not having those 4 key players on the field/playing natural position is the reason why our defense is so poor this year. Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Fewell's 2010 Defence was Ranked 7th in the League

He has certainly been a lot less aggressive which has been very irritated. I mean his gameplans for Vick and Brady were fantastic and we played great those games, but pretty much all of the other ones have been super conservative and have simply not worked. I don't know why he changed it so much. Other teams don't change that much when injuries happen to their players, they just expect the next guy up to execute. Which makes a hell of a lot more sense than blowing things up and making everyone do something different. He's been extremely incompetent this year with scheming and playcalling more often than not.

Anybody watching MNF? Why can't our goddamn teams tackle like this? I sometimes really don't get it. It's probably the most important fundamental on defense.

Bench Player

Excellent post to give us some perspective on Fewell. Our D has been horrendous, but I dare say any team that has to field a bunch of rookies at positions where communication is vital will suffer. Our roster severely limits what Fewell can do (blitz and blown up for big plays, don't blitz and get picked apart).

Give the guy a real shot with a real roster before crucifying him. Even if he's not an elite coordinator, his past history suggests that he is nowhere near as bad as our current season might indicate.

also had a healthy Tuck and healthy Osi all season...

and I dont underestimate the loss of depth guys like Bruce Johnson, Witherspoon, Coe, and our first round pick for most of the season

[quote user="YATittle1962"]also had a healthy Tuck and healthy Osi all season...

and I dont underestimate the loss of depth guys like Bruce Johnson, Witherspoon, Coe, and our first round pick for most of the season[/quote]

Yep, Osi and Tuck combined for 23 Sacks and 16 FF last year...we are missing that rush big time even with JPP

Plus last year KP wasnt 100% recovered from his surgery and Kiwi only played 3 games and we still got it done defensively

Just goes to show how vital the pass rush is in determining the success of our D and this year we just dont have it

If you add JPP sacks in we are down only 4 sacks from last years total from them 3. I feel we are doing more 3 man rush this year. Last year our front 4 played so good it hid Fewells bad play calling. Read and react is not the defense we should be running with these lbs. Read and react you want more experienced lb. Plus I'm not a fan of read and react defense anyway. I like to make the offense react to what I'm doing.

[quote user="YATittle1962"]also had a healthy Tuck and healthy Osi all season...

and I dont underestimate the loss of depth guys like Bruce Johnson, Witherspoon, Coe, and our first round pick for most of the season[/quote]

and Goff. He was pretty good against the run and got guys lined up. His drops were also looking pretty good in preseason.
    Manning is king of the comebacks, having engineered 24 fourth-quarter comebacks and 28 game-winning drives, including two in the final minutes of Super Bowls XLVI and XLII. Moreover, his quarterback rating rises to 94.2 in "late-and-close" games. With numerous comebacks, eight postseason victories and a pair of Super Bowl MVPs under his belt, few have been better with the game on the line.

It's not 2010...

[quote user="GiantFanatic55"]Why such the big drop off?

It's the same system as last year...the only difference is the personnel in the system

Lets look at the stats:

310.8 total yards/game********* Rank: 7th
    209.5 passing yards/game* ** Rank: 9th
    101.2 rushing yards/game*** * Rank:*8th

385.1 total yards/game***** *** Rank: 29th
    passing yards/game**** Rank: 29th
    127.6 rushing yards/game***** Rank: 22nd

1.No Goff at MLB
    2.No T2
    4.No Cofield at DT

Now i'm not giving Fewell a pass by any means, but imo not having those 4 key players on the field/playing natural position is the reason why our defense is so poor this year. Thoughts? Opinions?
    [/quote]

Dude we played FOUR teams last year with a winning record (in 5 games).

Of those 5, games against teams with winning records we gave up 151 points. That's over 30 points a game.

And the only reason it's not more is because we beat Chicago 17-3 (of the "We couldn't figure out our offensive line and gave up 10 sacks that game" Chicacgo).

Fewell sucked last year too ... and he was HANDED a cake schedule.

Or did we forget that utter catastrophe of an Eagles game already (either of them)?
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

[quote user="GiantFanatic55"]Why such the big drop off?

Lets look at the stats:

310.8 total yards/game Rank: 7th
    209.5 passing yards/game Rank: 9th
    101.2 rushing yards/game Rank:8th

385.1 total yards/game Rank: 29th
    passing yards/game Rank: 29th
    127.6 rushing yards/game Rank: 22nd

1.No Goff at MLB
    2.No T2
    4.No Cofield at DT

[/quote]

im going to rework this for you:

1. No 12 strip sacks from Osi to cover up a ton
    2. No T2
    3. Tuck not being 100%
    4. Rolle playing out of position
    5. No Goff

Fear the name, appreciate the game