+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Monday, November 12, 2012 The Morning After

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Tom Coughlin Sees Signs Of Improvement In Eli Manning

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "But while coach Tom Coughlin is searching for answers to get his offense and his team back on track, he said he saw encouraging signs from Manning Sunday despite the 31-13 loss to the Bengals.

"There were signs that he’s improving," Coughlin said today. "He’s getting back to -- back on track. There were some signs there that were good yesterday. And we’ve just got to build on it."

What were those signs?

"I thought he threw the ball better and many times yesterday, he zinged it in there," Coughlin said. "Had the ball down the seam to Victor that should have been a touchdown."

That deep pass would have been a 38-yard touchdown, but Victor Cruz dropped the ball near the goal line as a defender came in to break it up. Manning's arm looked just fine on that play, despite a recent theory floated by NFL Films' Greg Cosell and ESPN's Ron Jaworski that he has a tired arm.

Coughlin acknowledged that, in the past few weeks, Manning has overall looked different "in some situations." He threw two interceptions on back-to-back drives while under so much pressure his jersey was being pulled, each setting up a Bengals touchdown and putting the game pretty much out of reach for the Giants.

"Oh, that was terrible," Coughlin said. "And he’d be the first one to tell you that. That was so foolish to try to make a play there. The one guy’s got his shirt and just go down, take care of the ball, let us have another snap. Just take care of the football. I know he's always trying to make a play, and he has done things under those circumstances in the past that have worked out, but the percentages were just not with you when that happens." Read more...

##

Ahmad Bradshaw's Fumble At Key Time Proves Costly To Giants

Excerpt: "Just when the Giants’ running game was showing signs of life, Ahmad Bradshaw fumbled the ball and the momentum in a 31-13 loss to the Bengals Sunday.

The Giants took advantage of a short field on their second drive of the third quarter, advancing from their own 47-yard line to the Bengals’ 16 on four ground plays. Bradshaw ran the latter three.

Alarm Bell Sounding After Giants' 31 13 Loss To Bengals

Excerpt: "The Giants left Paul Brown Stadium Sunday afternoon hounded by this question: “Are they concerned?”

Concerned that Sunday’s 31-13 loss to the Bengals is the start of a familiar November slide? Concerned this team won’t be as resilient as last year’s? Concerned about Eli Manning?

The last query is the most curious of all, since the Giants quarterback has rarely been a concern since his first Super Bowl MVP title. But right now, Manning is the face of the slumping Giants offense, not having thrown a touchdown pass in three straight games for the first time since his rookie season.

“I still believe that Eli will bounce back, and he will play the way that he has played, at a championship level,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “I certainly don’t quite understand where we are and why.”

The Giants will search for those answers during their bye week, now a 6-4 team after back-to-back losses. Coughlin said flatly there was nothing he was pleased with in Sunday’s game, a loss defensive end Justin Tuck said he was “shocked” by. Things went awry quickly, with the Giants in a 14-0 deficit less than five minutes into the game.

A miscommunication in the Giants secondary gave A.J. Green one of those “holes” in the defense he spoke about last week, and the Bengals receiver scored a 56-yard touchdown.

After a Giants three-and-out, a 68-yard punt return set up Andy Dalton’s 11-yard touchdown pass to receiver Andrew Hawkins." Read more...

Giants' Eli Manning Says He Doesn't Have A Tired Arm

Excerpt: "Eli Manning and the Giants offense have been in a lull the past few weeks. In today's 31-13 loss to the Bengals, Manning did not throw a touchdown pass for the third straight week -- just the second time that's happened in his career, the other when he was a rookie.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell and ESPN's Ron Jaworski floated this possible explanation for the recent slump: Manning has a tired arm, evidenced by the fact that he has missed throws he normally makes.

Manning said today that is not the case.

"I don’t think so," he said. "I feel like I’m making the throws, and I don’t feel like it’s tired." Read more...

Giants Fall Flat in 31 - 13 Blow Out Loss To Bengals Heading Into BYE Week

Excerpt: "A.J. Green was being generous.

Earlier in the week, Green said the Giants defense, specifically the back end, had "a lot of holes" in it. Today, the Bengals found plenty of holes there and elsewhere.

Green and the Bengals jumped out to a quick 7-0 on his 56-yard touchdown reception on the fifth play of the game. Minutes later they added another score to make it 14-0 and didn't look back in their 31-13 win at Paul Brown Stadium as the Giants' offense continued its recent plunge into ineptitude.

The Giants have now lost two in a row and are 6-4. The Bengals snapped a four-game losing streak and are now 4-5.

Eli Manning went 29-of-46 for 215 yards and two interceptions. He also lost a fumble. He was held without a touchdown for the third straight game, and though poor decision-making and an inability to make plays falls on him, he didn't get much help around him.

The offensive line struggled in front of him, surrendering four sacks after surrendering four over the previous six games." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Eli Manning Hardly Playing Like Twp Time Super Bowl MVP As Giants' Second Half Collapse In Full Swing

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1200533

Excerpt: "In the Super Bowl a few years ago, Eli Manning worked himself free from the Patriots pulling and stretching his jersey, created a new pocket and put everything into a throw that miraculously stuck to David Tyree’s helmet and set up the winning touchdown.

Then Manning won another Super Bowl this past February and he was the symbol of all that was right with the Giants. But now, he’s in such a deep and mystifying five-game slump — he rejected reports that he has a tired arm — that when he gets his jersey pulled, his passes get picked off and lead to debilitating touchdowns against a bad team.

GIANTS MAULED IN CINCINNATI BY BENGALS

That happened twice Sunday against the Bengals three throws apart in the third quarter, setting up two easy touchdowns that resulted in the Super Bowl champs getting blown out.Manning now represents all that’s wrong with the free-falling Giants: He can’t make a play. He can’t even throw the ball away

.PHOTOS: GIANTS COME UP SMALL, MAULED BY BENGALS

He’s gone three straight games without throwing a touchdown pass — the only other time that happened was 2004, his rookie year.

The Giants are two games into their annual second-half collapse after their usual 6-2 start and head into their bye week trying to fight self-doubt overtaking the locker room.

“I don’t know how to explain it, I don’t know what is going on,” said Victor Cruz, who dropped a wide-open 38-yard TD pass when the Giants were down 25 points. “I don’t know what is wrong.”

The Giants were disgracefully bad in losing, 31-13, to the Bengals, a team that had lost four in a row. “I told the team we got into this mess together and we’re going to have to find a way to get out of it,” Tom Coughlin said." Read more...
    Cruz Drops TD As Giants Drop Game

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ants-drop-game

Excerpt: "
    For a moment, Victor Cruz gave the Giants a glimmer of hope. And then, he let it slip through his hands.

Cruz saw few openings in Sunday’s 31-13 loss to the Bengals in Cincinnati, but on the opening play of the fourth quarter, he finally found a seam. With the Giants trailing, 31-6, Eli Manning’s favorite target lined up in the slot on first-and-10 from the Bengals 38 and darted upfield, getting past the Bengals safeties for the first time all afternoon.Manning lofted a perfect throw to Cruz a few yards outside the end zone, but Cruz bobbled the catch away.

“It was just a long pass,” Cruz said. “I took my eye off it at the last minute. And as soon as I got my hand on it, they reached in there and broke it up. I should have come down with it.”

That was the worst moment in another forgettable performance for Cruz. He began the season by scoring TDs in five of his first seven games, but he’s now failed to a score a TD in three straight outings. On Sunday, he managed just three catches for 26 yards.

Manning also looked for Cruz a season-low four times.“We can’t put a finger on it,” Cruz said of the Giants’ offensive struggles. “But we’ve just got to understand that there’s more games to be played.“Everything’s not going to go our way all the time,” he added. “We understand that. And we just have to be able to fight through adversity and keep moving forward.” Read more...

Bengals' AJ Green Exploits The Holes In The Giants' Defense

Excerpt: "Turns out, A.J. Green was right about those holes in the Giants’ defense.

The wide receiver caught seven passes for 85 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals’ 31-13 victory over the Giants at Paul Brown Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Green praised the Giants’ defensive front four in a radio interview with WFAN earlier this week but also said the team had “a lot of holes in their defense.” Once the comment reached the Giants, free safety Antrel Rolle said he’d respond with his play.

But Green’s skills did most of the talking during the game, starting with a 56-yard catch for a touchdown on the Bengals’ opening drive.

“Watching them on film, we always knew that A.J. was (quarterback Andy Dalton’s) primary target,” Rolle said. “We let them get out to a good start with a busted coverage and pretty much from that point on, it was just a lopsided game no matter how you look at it. It wasn’t A.J. Green that beat us. It was their entire team that beat us.”

Green was targeted on the Bengals’ first five pass plays and reeled in three catches for 70 yards on the opening drive alone." Read more...

Giants' Cruz Says Slump Will Pass

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1200473

Excerpt: "For a moment Victor Cruz gave the Giants a glimmer of hope. And then, he let it slip through his hands.

Cruz saw few openings in Sunday’s 31-13 loss to the Bengals, but on the opening play of the fourth quarter, he finally found a seam. With the Giants trailing, 31-6, Cruz lined up in the slot on first-and-10 from the Bengals 38 and darted upfield, getting past the Bengals safeties for the first time all afternoon.

Eli Manning lofted a perfect throw to Cruz a few yards outside the end zone, but Cruz bobbled and dropped the pass.

“It was just a long pass,” Cruz said. “I took my eye off it at the last minute. And as soon as I got my hand on it, they reached in there and broke it up. I should have come down with it.”

That was the worst moment in another forgettable performance for Cruz.He began the season by scoring TDs in five of his first seven games, but he’s now failed to a score a TD in three straight outings. On Sunday, he managed just three catches for 26 yards.

Manning also looked for Cruz a season-low four times.

“We can’t put a finger on it,” Cruz said of the Giants’ offensive struggles. “But we’ve just got to understand that there’s more games to be played.

“Everything’s not going to go our way all the time,” he added. “We understand that. And we just have to be able to fight through adversity and keep moving forward.” Read more...

Big Blue Bust In Cincinnati

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1200309

Excerpt: "The holes weren't just in the defense. They were everywhere.The Giants were supposed to arrive at Paul Brown Stadium angry and focused on Sunday, prepared to thrash the lowly Bengals and erase any talk of their yearly second-half swoon.

Instead, the defending Super Bowl champs fell apart in a performance that had few positives, getting blown out, 31-13.

Eli Manning's slump continued with two awful third-quarter interceptions, the offense didn't score a single meaningful touchdown, and the defense was full of all the "holes" that Bengals wideout A.J. Green had claimed it had.

Manning was at the core of the Giants' struggles during a third quarter that turned a winnable game into nightmare. The Giants trailed, 17-6, coming out of halftime, but three of their five third-quarter possessions ended in turnovers.

The worst came with 7:22 left in the period first-and-10 from the Giants 18, Manning was flushed from the pocket by DT Geno Atkins, and he scrambled right. He tried to find Ramses Barden, but his pass was
    deflected, and it landed in the arms of Bengals lineman Pat Sims.

Three plays later, Andy Dalton hit TE Jermaine Gresham for a 10-yard TD grab.
    " Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST

Opening Drive Sets Tone For Torching

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...1aJOlICnk4zajM

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin had surveyed all the stats and then the weather, deciding that if the Giants won the opening toss, they would defer and elect to kick off to the Bengals to start the game. His decision seemed logical, but it would have devastating results, providing the impetus for one of the worst performances by a football team under his watch.

“I really wanted the ball in the second half,” Coughlin said after the Bengals crushed the Giants 31-13 yesterday at Paul Brown Stadium. “There’s quite a differential between the number of points we had scored in the second half (128) and the number of points they had scored in the second half (84). I also wanted the wind.”

By the time the second half began — with the Giants going three-and-out — the game was essentially over. The Bengals held a 17-6 lead and more confidence and momentum than a team that had lost four straight games could have ever imagined.

This debacle started with the opening drive, when the Bengals needed just five plays to cover 79 yards for a 7-0 lead. The touchdown came on a 56-yard pass from quarterback Andy Dalton to wide receiver A.J. Green, who inexplicably was turned loose by a Giants secondary that looked in preseason form. Cornerback Corey Webster, the nearest Giant, called it a “busted coverage.” Safety Stevie Brown went toward the line of scrimmage as Green ran past Webster." Read more...

Elite QB Nowhere To Be Seen

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...mmY1zDBvdKk5cK

Excerpt: "Eli Manning has dramatically and inexplicably stopped playing like an elite quarterback. And on days when he becomes an E-liability, he doesn’t carry the Giants on his shoulders, he drags them down into the sinkhole of yet another second-half swoon.

Manning refutes media speculation he has a tired arm, but apparently he has grown tired of throwing touchdown passes, because he didn’t throw one against the Cowboys, didn’t throw one against the Steelers, didn’t throw one yesterday against the Bengals, if for no other reason than Victor Cruz dropped what should have been a 38-yard touchdown. Manning hadn’t gone three games without a touchdown pass since his rookie season.

“Same exact person, nothing’s really changed,” Cruz said after Bengals 31, Giants 13.

Except for the fact Manning is not the same exact quarterback. He threw two ghastly interceptions yesterday, and lost one fumble. It means that during his three-game slump, he has thrown four picks and lost two fumbles. His QB rating the last two games: 41.1, 56.

Everyone around the Giants expects Manning to bounce back — I do as well, given his resume and pedigree — but in the meantime, everyone is bewitched, bothered and bewildered, and no one more than the quarterback.

The Giants abandoned the running game early (6-for-16 rushing at intermission), and Manning, hounded in the pocket (four sacks), could not play small ball against a defense that suffocated his vertical game and had no reason to fear the play-action game." Read more...

Nothing Doing For Cruz

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...GRZ3eLgjPsnpSK

Excerpt: "The Giants got Hakeem Nicks going yesterday. But they couldn’t say the same about Victor Cruz.

Cruz was a non-factor for the third straight game, an alarming development for the big-play receiver. Cruz made just three catches for 26 yards in the Bengals’ 31-13 beating of his Giants, and also dropped what should have been a 38-yard touchdown pass.

Since delivering the game-winning 77-yard score against the Redskins in Week 7, Cruz’s production has disappeared. He caught just two passes for 23 yards against the Cowboys in Week 8, improved to five catches for 67 yards against the Steelers last week, then did little yesterday.

Cruz was not even targeted yesterday for the first 27:14 of the game. Finally, with 2:46 to go in the first half, he caught an 8-yard pass from Eli Manning on the first ball thrown his way.

What was going on?

“Couldn’t tell you,” Cruz said, denying he was frustrated. “I’ve just got to keep plugging away. I understand that I’m going to get my opportunities whenever they come and just keep playing football.” Read more...

Manning & Co. Swooning Again As They Tumble Into BYE Week

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...lXd4bh5GwnPjjO

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin said he’s not going to adjust his bye-week schedule, which has the Giants at their facility today and then off the rest of the week. He probably should have reminded his players to show up yesterday for work, though.

The schedule said the Giants were on the road to play the Bengals, but the Giants seemed to be elsewhere.

“For whatever reason, our head wasn’t in it, as a team,’’ said safety Antrel Rolle. “You can’t put a performance like that on film.’’

The sad performance is on film, and no one can erase the continuing Eli Manning descent, the disappearance of Victor Cruz and the high-octane passing game, the lack of touchdowns, the new wrinkle of shoddy pass protection, the defensive indifference to making plays in the secondary, the lack of pressure up front and the breakdowns in the special teams coverage.

Did we miss anything?

“We found a way to hit every light on the board, offense, defense, special teams,’’ Justin Tuck said. “You pick it.’’It all added up to a shockingly thorough beat-down at the hands of the Bengals, who had prepped for this rout by losing their previous four games. They didn’t lose this one, racing to a 14-0 lead barely five minutes in, coasting to a 31-6 lead and handing the sagging Giants a 31-13 loss at not-close-to-full Paul Brown Stadium.

I told the team we certainly got into this mess together and we’ve got to find a way to get out of it together,’’ a subdued Coughlin said." Read more...

Bradshaw: Run Left Out Of Gameplan

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...M8WBDjtNcMAsMM

Excerpt: "The Giants didn’t do a whole lot of running the ball in yesterday’s 31-13 loss to the Bengals, which is what happens when a team falls behind 14-0 very early and the deficit continues to grow.

When they did run it, they gave it to Andre Brown (seven carries) nearly as much as they gave it to Ahmad Bradshaw (10).

Bradshaw didn’t seem to see the wisdom of that ball dispersal.

Asked if he thought this were a case of the coaching staff deliberately limiting his attempts to keep the strain off his always-tender foot, Bradshaw said, “Yeah, I think so. Holding me back isn’t going to help. I got a bone bruise, rest isn’t going to help no bone.’’

Brown actually started this game.

The Giants came out in a no-huddle look and Brown caught a 5-yard pass on the first play and stayed on the field the entire series, which lasted only three plays.

“We just had a package in Andre, we wanted to start the game in no-huddle and there was no time for me to get back in,’’ Bradshaw said. “It’s nothing.’’

Clearly, Bradshaw wasn’t pleased with his workload, which wasn’t much at all.

“I don’t know what the plan was,’’ he said. “Just trying to keep together, do the right things.’’ Read more...

Eli Awful Against Bengals As Giants Drop Second Straight

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...RJNjwLKosZhEdM

Excerpt: "s much as they wanted to avoid it, the New York Giants are starting to look like the team that won the Super Bowl last season.

No, not the one holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end. The one that almost didn’t make it to the playoffs at all.

The Giants played their worst all-around game on Sunday, losing to the Cincinnati Bengals 31-13. Andy Dalton threw a career-high four touchdown passes — each to a different receiver — and the Cincinnati Bengals ended their four-game losing streak with a lopsided win.

“I just told the team that we certainly got into this mess together, and we’ve got to find a way to get out of it together,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “I don’t have anything I can really say I was pleased with.”

The Giants are starting to feel a little familiar pressure.

Last year, they opened the season 6-2, lost four in a row and made the playoffs by winning three of their last four, a strong closing push that made the difference. They opened 6-2 again this season, but head into their bye week with back-to-back losses and a lot of issues, especially on offense.

Eli Manning had another subpar game, failing to live up his family legacy of beating the Bengals. Older brother Peyton improved to 8-0 against Cincinnati on the same field a week earlier, leading Denver to a 31-23 win.

This one was surprisingly lopsided as the Giants hurt themselves with bad passes, broken coverages, a dropped touchdown pass and penalties in front of a less-than-capacity crowd of 56,614. Manning threw a pair of interceptions in the third quarter that led to touchdowns." Read more...

Giants' Blitz

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...ixihhKiipUBNLP

Excerpt: "HERO

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton sliced up the Giants and easily outplayed Eli Manning, firing a career-high four touchdown passes to four different receivers — A.J. Green, Andrew Hawkins, Jermaine Gresham and Mohamed Sanu. Dalton completed 21 of 30 throws and wasn’t sacked. Terrific performance.

UNSUNG HERO

Cincinnati’s defense flummoxed Manning and the Giants, holding them to six points until garbage time. The unit picked off Manning twice, forced two fumbles, racked up four sacks, held Victor Cruz to 26 yards and demolished the Giants’ offensive line.

ZERO

Everything Giants-related is a pretty strong candidate. Manning was efficient in the first half (15-for-20) but threw two picks in the second half and managed to produce just 13 points. The Giants’ defense got zero pressure on Dalton, and the offensive line was mauled by the Bengals. So, take your pick." Read more...

Giants' Report Card

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...kfVdiez3HP23XK

Excerpt: "OFFENSE

This is now serious. Eli Manning is no longer in a slump. It’s a full-fledged plummet. Threw 46 times, longest completion for only 16 yards, two interceptions, one lost fumble, no TDs yet again. This time, protection (four sacks) a big issue. Hakeem Nicks (9-75) more in swing of things, but Victor Cruz (3-26) not and also dropped sure-fire TD. One big, fat mess. F

DEFENSE

Blown coverage in first couple of minutes led to painfully easy 56-yard TD for A.J. Green, who was correct about holes in this defense. Andy Dalton turned into right-handed Boomer Esiason with career-high four TD passes and not sacked or breathed on all day. Run-stopping was fine and field position was lousy, but no forced turnovers and no plays made on back end. D

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Giants' Notes: What's Ailing Eli?

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17..._Manning_.html

Excerpt: "It's not a "tired arm," Eli Manning insisted, refuting a report to the contrary.

But what is wrong exactly with the two-time Super Bowl MVP, considering his continued struggles?

In his first six games, Manning threw 11 touchdowns with five interceptions.

Over his last four, including back-to-back losses, he has one TD with six INTs.

His poor play was evident throughout Sunday, but most glaring in the third quarter when the Bengals scored a pair of touchdowns to put the game away.

With Cincinnati DT Geno Atkins pressuring him, Manning tried to get rid of the ball and threw interceptions. Both resulted in Andy Dalton touchdown passes that broke the game wide open.

"If my arm were tired, I would tell the coaches and we would adjust," Manning said. "I don't feel like we are overthrowing by any means, and the ball is still coming out fine, so I don't see anything into it."

WR Hakeem Nicks (nine catches, 75 yards) defended Manning.

"You can't single one person out — it's a team," Nicks said. "We've got to make plays, step up in the passing game for him. The O-line got to do their part, the defense got to do their part as well as special teams.

"This is not a situation where you can single one guy out."

An early hole

In sizing up the Giants' defense – and the secondary in particular – Bengals WR A.J. Green said he saw a lot of holes that could be exploited.
    Well, it didn't take long for Green to find one.The Giants won the coin toss, but deferred possession to the second half, giving the Bengals the ball to start. Five plays later, Green was racing across the goal line after a busted coverage allowed him to score from 56 yards out.Just like that, the Bengals were on top.Instead of setting the tone for themselves, the Giants provided a team that had lost four in a row a major boost."We just can't give them that kind of momentum to start the game," said MLB Chase Blackburn, who returned to the starting lineup after missing the previous game against the Steelers with a hamstring injury." Read more...

Giants' Replay vs. Bengals

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...__Bengals.html

Excerpt: "Turning point

It was a flashback to Eli Manning of the past and Bengals DT Pat Sims’ interception was as ugly as they come. The Giants trailed, 17-6, midway through the third quarter, a comeback still within reach, but Bengals DT Geno Atkins slipped past Kevin Boothe and rushed Manning, grabbing a hold of his jersey. Instead of taking the sack, Manning flung the ball into the air and Sims pulled it down. The Bengals scored a touchdown and took a 24-6 lead three plays later.

Star of the game

An "aw shucks" quarterback stole the show Sunday, but it wasn’t the two-time Super Bowl MVP. Andy Dalton completed 21 of 30 passes for 199 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions, slicing through the Giants’ secondary while finding seven different receivers. Four different players caught touchdown passes, including former Rutgers standout Mohamed Sanu." Read more...

Dalton's 4 TDs Lead Bengals Over Giants, 31 - 13

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Gi...als_31-13.html

Excerpt: "The slump continues for Eli Manning as does the lackluster play for the Giants, who did nothing to put to rest any talk of another second-half swoon.

The Bengals dominated from start to finish in Sunday’s 31-13 triumph, sending the reigning Super Bowl champions into their bye week following one of the most stunning and embarrassing performances they have had in quite some time.

Manning and the offense sputtered, with the two-time Super Bowl MVP at times reverting back to the mistake-prone quarterback many doubted would ever become elite.

Manning threw two inexplicable interceptions and the Giants turned the ball over four times as Cincinnati (4-5) snapped a four-game losing streak." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS.COM

GIANTS 101

Second-Half Swoon In Full Effect As Giants Get Dominated By Bengals, 31 - 13

http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/11/...bengals-31-13/

Excerpt: "
    The New York Giants refused to say they were in an offensive slump. Quarterback Eli Manning said he was determined to turn things around. After an embarrassing showing against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, two things are blatantly obvious: they are and he didn't.

With a chance to go into the bye week at 7-3 and with a firm grasp on the NFC East, the Giants once again laid an egg. They were demolished at the hands of the Bengals, falling 31-13 to a team that was 3-5 coming into the game. The right side of the offensive line played terrible, the defensive line got no pressure on Andy Dalton, A.J. Green exploited all of the holes in the secondary and missed tackles were again an issue.

It was a catastrophic failure across the board for a team that head coach Tom Coughlin called "soft" earlier this week." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Bengals 31, Giants 13: Giants Embarrassed By Cincinnati

http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs...s-updates-more

Excerpt: "The New York Giants are now in full-blown November implosion mode. The Giants (6-4) were awful Sunday in a lopsided 31-13 loss to the 4-5 Cincinnati Bengals, a game in which the Giants were never competitive.

The Giants have now lost both of their games this month, and six straight November contests overall. They still lead the NFC East, but they are threatening to make the division competitive despite the obvious inadequacies of the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles, playing each other today with records of 3-5.

Why did the Giants lose on Sunday? The reasons are obvious, and plentiful.

There was another awful start to a game, falling behind 14-0 only 4:01 into the game?

There was another horrible breakdown by the secondary, allowing a 56-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green on Cincinnati's first possession.

There was awful special teams play for the second straight week. The Giants allowed a 68-yard punt return that set up a Cincinnati touchdown.

There were four Giants' turnovers, three by quarterback Eli Manning." Read more...

SITE LINK

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

Giants Limp Into Bye Week With 31 - 13 Loss To Bengals

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5494

Excerpt: "The New York Giants, looking to get back on track after last week’s poor effort, put forth an equally poor showing as the Cincinnati Bengals gashed the struggling Giants to the tune of 31-13.

With the loss, the Giants’ second in a row, they drop to 6-4. It is the third straight year that the Giants have been 6-4 after 10 games played and after starting 6-2 in the first eight games of the season.

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, who came into the game ranked 32nd in the league in third down pass conversions, led his team to a 46% conversion rate while also throwing an interception for the first time this season. His two first quarter touchdown passes, which included a 56-yarder to receiver A.J. Green and an 11 yarder to A. Hawkins, put the Bengals up 14-0 and firmly in control of the game.

The Giants, who didn’t score a touchdown until 2:46 left in the game when running back Andre Brown punched it in on a two-yard run, have now gone 12 quarters without a passing touchdown. Their last such score was Eli Manning’s 77-yard strike to receiver Victor Cruz in the fourth quarter of the team’s 27-23 win against Washington on Oct. 21.

Manning has since gone 99 attempts without a touchdown pass, the longest streak of his career since his rookie season.

While most of the final numbers between the two teams were relatively even, the Giants did have four big turnovers – two fumbles and two interceptions. The Bengals managed to convert both interceptions into 14 points.

The Giants also had a litany of other miscues that hurt their chances, including a huge dropped pass by receiver Victor Cruz in the fourth quarter which ad he caught, would have gone for a touchdown.

The Giants also were one of three on their red zone attempts, and had issues on special teams, giving up 108 return yards.

Meanwhile Manning finished with sub par numbers for the second week in a row, completing 29 of 46 passes for 215 yards and two interceptions for a 56.0 [passer rating, slightly better than his 41.1 showing the previous week.

Manning, who was sacked four times, was constantly under duress, and the Bengals hit him eight times and broke up seven of his pass attempts. The Giants’ quarterback has thrown one touchdown and six interceptions in his last five games after starting the season with 11 touchdowns and five interception." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE

ESPN

Erratic Eli Putting On A Tired Show

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...iants-struggle

Excerpt: "Eli Manning tried to dismiss the first excuse offered for the New York Giants' power outage.

"No, I don't think so," the quarterback said, when asked about a ProFootballTalk.com report that a tired right arm has led to his recent struggles. "I feel like I'm making the throws, and I don't feel like it's tired."

"If my arm were tired, I would tell the coaches, and we would shut down some throws or throw a little bit less," he later added. "I don't feel like we're overthrowing. I feel like when I'm making throws, the ball is coming out well."

Whatever it might be, something is definitely wrong with Manning and the Giants' offense. On Sunday in Cincinnati, the Giants went into bye mode one week too early as they were embarrassed, 31-13, by the Bengals.Manning cracked 200 yards for the first time in three games, with 215 yards, but he threw two crushing third-quarter interceptions deep in his own territory.For the third straight game, Manning failed to throw for a touchdown. The last time that happened was during the second, third and fourth starts of his career, back in 2004.We've seen the two-time Super Bowl MVP throw bad interceptions in the past, but not as Elite Eli."I still believe that Eli will bounce back and will play the way that he has played at a championship level," Tom Coughlin said of Manning, who has just one touchdown in his last 18 quarters. "I certainly don't quite understand where we are and why."When asked if there is anything physically wrong with Manning, Coughlin said "no.""I've asked him how he feels," Coughlin said. "And he responds he feels good." Read more...

Tyler Sash, Domenik Hixon Out With Injured Ankles

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...injured-ankles

Excerpt: "The New York Giants lost wide receiver Domenik Hixon and backup safetyTyler Sash during Sunday's 31-13 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals due to injuries.

Hixon suffered an ankle injury on a catch. After having his left ankle re-taped, the receiver headed to the locker room for further examination before being ruled out.According to the Fox telecast, X-rays on Hixon's ankle were negative." Read more...

What's Wrong With Eli Manning

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...th-eli-manning

Excerpt: "What is behind New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning's recent struggles?

Manning's numbers the last three games are far from what they were in the early part of the season, when the Giants were rolling.

Manning says he doesn't have a tired arm, but there are some indicators that suggest that was a reasonable question to ask.

Let's take a closer look.

Manning went 4-for-11 for 52 yards and an interception on throws longer than 10 yards down the field in Sunday's loss at Cincinnati.

That's continued a trend in which his numbers have sharply declined on throws of that nature.

The chart on the right shows the rather drastic difference.

In that span, Manning is 2-for-11 targeting Victor Cruz on those 10-yard-plus passes for 44 yards and no touchdowns in the last three games. In the first seven games, Cruz caught 13 of the 22 throws on which he was targeted for 335 yards and three touchdowns.

Manning's average pass traveled only 7.4 yards downfield, his lowest average throwing distance this season." Read more...

Cruz Taken Out Of Gameplan

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-the-game-plan

Excerpt: "Victor Cruz didn’t get many chances to catch passes Sunday against the Bengals, and the best opportunity he had, he dropped.

That kind of summed up the day for the Giants in their 31-13 loss at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cruz had just three catches for 26 yards against a Cincinnati defense designed to take him out of New York’s plans. A perfectly thrown seam pass by Eli Manning on the first play of the fourth quarter should have been a 38-yard touchdown but instead the ball bounced off Cruz's hands and to the turf.

“It was just a long pass, I took my eye off it at the last minute and as soon as I get my hand on it, they reached in there and broke it up but I should have come down with it,” said Cruz.

Cruz caught the last touchdown pass thrown by Manning, the 77-yarder with 1:13 left in the fourth quarter against Washington that proved to be the deciding points in a 27-23 victory on Oct. 21.

Denver had 123 yards after the catch against Cincinnati last week in a 31-23 victory led by Peyton Manning. The Broncos didn’t attempt a lot of deep passes but were able to beat Cincinnati with crossing patterns underneath that turned into big gains.

The Giants appeared to attempt the same strategy but managed just 45 yards after catch on Eli Manning's 29 completions.

“Everything was similar from last week’s offense to this week’s offense,” said Cincinnati middle linebacker Rey Maualuga. “We knew that Victor Cruz was such a big part of their offense and is a great weapon. Most of our plays were based on doubling him and making sure where he aligned on every play. We wanted to execute him out of the game plan and then stop the run and I think we did a good job.” Read more...

Running GFame Struggles Against Bengals

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...gainst-bengals

Excerpt: "Running back Andre Brown got his first start Sunday since Week 3 but, like everything else the Giants attempted, it did little to spur the offense.

The final rushing numbers: 20 carries for 129 yards and the only New York touchdown of the day came mostly in the fourth quarter when they trailed by 25 points. Brown rushed for 65 yards on seven carries, including a 29-yard gain that led to his 2-yard rushing score with 2:46 remaining. He had rushed for 113 yards and two touchdowns at Carolina in his only previous start.

Ahmad Bradshaw had 10 carries for 57 yards but fumbled at the Cincinnati 27 after he had picked up a first down on an 11-yard rush on a toss sweep play to the left. The Giants trailed 17-6 at the time but the fumble was the first of three straight turnovers by New York.

“I was just fighting for more yards,” said Bradshaw. “I was able to break a couple of tackles. I had two guys and I tried to get around them.”

Cornerbacks Leon Hall and Adam Jones were those two guys. Hall was tackling Bradshaw when Jones came in and stripped the ball free. Defensive end Carlos Dunlap recovered for the Bengals. " Read more...

Dalton, Green Exploit Holes In Defense

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ens-holes-on-d

Excerpt: "Five plays into Sunday’s loss against the Bengals, the Giants trailed 7-0 because they had given up another long touchdown pass.

A.J. Green’s 56-yard touchdown reception down the right sideline was an easy pitch-and-catch session for him and quarterback Andy Dalton. The Giants knew coming into the game who Dalton’s No. 1 target was, yet there was Green all alone behind cornerback Corey Webster with no safety help in sight. Webster thought he was getting help over the top. He was mistaken.

“We gave him one off a busted coverage, 56 yards,” said Webster. “[You] can’t do that. You’re playing against a good team already and a good receiver already so you don’t want to give him anything. You want him to earn it. Good receiver but we can’t give him nothing.”

It was the ninth time this season the Giants had allowed a touchdown pass of 26 yards or more this season. According to ESPN Stats & Information, it was the 11th play of 30 yards or more the Giants have given up between the numbers and the sideline. Green now has seven catches this season of 30 or more yards, six of which have come outside of the numbers.

The secondary’s rough day was compounded by the defensive line’s disappearance. The Giants didn’t sack Dalton and were credited with just one quarterback hit. Dalton had all kinds of time to look for receivers and complete 21 of 30 passes for an efficient 199 yards and the first four-touchdown game of his career.
    Dalton had thrown at least one interception in his first eight games this season, a stat the Giants have thrived on this season, but not Sunday.

“We got to see what we can do correctly,” said defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. “We can’t be on a losing streak. It doesn’t feel good at all. We got to come back and come harder.” Read more...

Rapid Reaction: Bengals 31, Giants 13

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...s-31-giants-13

Excerpt: "The New York Giants are officially on their bye week now, but their offense went into bye week mode a long time ago. The champs were smashed by the Bengals 31-13.

What it means: The Giants are 6-4, but they have some serious issues to correct. The offense has vanished and couldn't do much of anything against a team that had lost four straight games.

Eli Manning
    is in a full-blown slump, throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble on Sunday. Any time Manning tries to go deep, the quarterback and his receiver just seem to be on the wrong page. The running game has no bite. The offensive line, which had been so good for much of the season, has protection breakdowns. Other times, Manning holds on to the ball too long. And third downs have become a major issue.

The defense continues to surrender big plays, and the special teams were spotty again as the Giants dropped to 0-6 all time at Cincinnati.

The Giants' coaching staff has a lot of work to do during the bye week. Perhaps the break will be good for the players to get away from this stinking mess.

Struggles continue: The Giants' offense is deteriorating.

Manning completed 15 of 20 passes in the first half but for only 107 yards. Manning, who was sacked twice in the first half, tried to jump-start the offense with short passes toHakeem Nicks, who had seven receptions for 63 yards by halftime –- the most catches he has had since Week 2, when he had 10 receptions for 199 yards and a touchdown against Tampa Bay.

But it got worse in the third quarter. The Giants had a three-and-out, Ahmad Bradshawthen fumbled, and on the ensuing possession, Manning tried to make something happen with Geno Atkins hanging on him. But his pass was deflected by Michael Johnson, and Pat Sims picked off the pass at the Giants' 12 to set up another Bengals touchdown. That put the Bengals up 24-6 midway through the third. " Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

NFC East Spin Cycle: Cowboys Closing The Game With Giants

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-the-game-with

Excerpt: "Should the Giants be concerned? They're now only 1.5 games up in the East after their second straight loss and the Cowboys' comeback win in Philly. The Eagles fell to 3-6 and Michael Vick was hurt, dropping them to a new level of desperation. The Redskins were on bye. Here's a look at what happened in the division in Week 10:

What we learned:
    The Giants’ lead in the East has dwindled to a game and a half despite no other division team sitting above .500. With a second straight loss following four straight victories, the Giants fell to 6-4 and sounded some alarm bells in the process. It’s a formula the Giants have patented — hot, cold, hot at the right time — in their championship seasons, so a November swoon isn’t always something to fret over. But really, some ugly trends that have developed (a struggling passing game, spotty rushing and critical breakdowns on “D”) go back prior to the two losses.

What’s in store next:
    The bye comes at a good time, as this is a team that looks like it could use some recharging. Eli Manning reportedly has a “tired arm” that will earn some rest; his mechanics, and even footwork, have looked off the past few weeks. A defense that has been gashed in myriad ways will spend some time healing, but also looking at game tape to try to diagnose what’s been going wrong. Zero sacks Sunday and a handful of blown coverages in allowing four TD passes — inexcusable numbers for this group. After the bye, there is no rest, at least as things appear now. Every remaining game is either a division contest or against a team in the playoff hunt, three at home and three away.

What the heck?
    What’s up with Eli? Yes, it’s the second week in a row we’ve asked that in this very space. And yes, it was not that long ago — 2010 to be exact — that Manning was mired in a slump that lasted most of a season. But coming off a championship season and a strong start in 2012, we are just not accustomed to this. It has been three straight games without a TD pass now, although to be fair, Victor Cruz dropped an easy one, perhaps dreaming too early about salsa. Manning’s two INTs Sunday also led directly to 14 Bengals points, but also in his defense, the protection was lousy. After being sacked only seven times in eight games, Manning has gone down six times in the past two contests, including four Sunday. He was also hit four other times, and those two picks came on throws on which he was hit. “He was under duress a lot today,” head coach Tom Coughlin said. Dave Diehl started a second straight game and was bad again Sunday. His sack allowed near the end of the first half was a rally killer after the Giants had good field position at the Cincinnati 14." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Reid's Exit Likely, But Not Yet A Certainty

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ainty/related/
    Reid: Vick Has A "Pretty Significant" Concussion

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ssion/related/

A Look At The Keys To Victory For The Cowboys In Their Game Against The Eagles

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...e-eagles.html/

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-12-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks Roanoke, that game was hard to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks Roanoke, that game was hard to watch!
    It still smarts, but we have to regroup and move on
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke!

im stunned to say the least!

thanks Ro...
    must be tough gathering articles after such a worthless effort by this team....
    Ashamed and embarassed,,,,
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke! im stunned to say the least!
    This one will hurt for a while

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks Ro... must be tough gathering articles after such a worthless effort by this team.... Ashamed and embarassed,,,,
    It is, sometimes I just want to quit when there is so much bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It is, sometimes I just want to quit when there is so much bad news.
    maybe being old is good......
    you'll forget by this afternoon anyway..
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Thanks for posting RF...I know as a fan these are hard pills to swallow

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    maybe being old is good...... you'll forget by this afternoon anyway..
    WE LOST?