+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Giants' David Wilson Still Needs To Gain Coaches' Trust

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Wilson's season got off to a rough start when he fumbled on his second career carry and was subsequently put in Tom Coughlin's doghouse. He has a total of 18 carries for 89 yards – 40 of which came on his lone touchdown run of the season. He was in on just two offensive plays Sunday against the Bengals, though Coughlin today said the team planned on playing him more but the game situation dictated otherwise.

Giants coaches rave about Wilson's explosive running ability; they've seen what he can do at practice and on Sundays during kickoff returns. But that isn't the issue. The problem remains the other aspects of becoming an NFL running back and gaining the coaches' trust.

"He’s got to be able to do all other things besides just running the ball," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "It’s not just running the ball when you’re a running back in the National Football League. It’s about catching passes, it’s about blocking, it’s about being able to protect the quarterback. All those things are taken into consideration when you determine whether a guy gets playing time or not."

Wilson, Gilbride explained, wasn't asked to do much else other than run in his three years at Virginia Tech. On the contrary, Doug Martin, taken one spot before David Wilson in April's draft, ran a pro-style offense at Boise State and has contributed immediately for the Buccaneers. He currently ranks first in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage at 128.7 per game and tied for fourth in rushing with 862 yards." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

Quote Originally Posted by The Notorious B.I.G BLUE View Post
    How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

Did you read the article? Gilbride explains why Martin starts and Wilson doesn't
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.
    He's not "mothballed" he's returning kicks. They had more snaps drawn up for him but we sucked so bad on Sunday they had to abandon it.

What has David Diehl done to earn the coaches' trust?

2 questions that are killing me:

1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.

When was the last time he had a kickoff return that looked like it could break for a TD? The 9ers game? Seems to me like he's getting coached right out of what he instinctively does.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post

1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.
    Who really knows? I don't think they are disappointed in Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post

In my opinion,

1) Yes
    2) Yes he would have gotten more playing than D. Wilson, but he'd still be behind AB in depth.