Closed Thread
Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1489

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

  1. #1351
    All-Pro Eliscruzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warwick NY
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    did anyone see skip and rob parker debate when simms said this? i didnt know but apparently skip and phil are good friends. skips a big fan of simms on and off the field. i was shocked when skip and rob parker of all people maintained of course eli is elite. a few bad games dont erase all that hes done and what his true level of play is. skip said that knowing simms as well as he does, that simms made this comment bc his ego was hurt knowing eli was about to pass him on the td list and that he is a better qb than simms. he said simms is ultra competitive and that it stings him a little knowing theres a better qb in giants history than him, and thats where his comment was coming from.
    i couldnt believe it, the king of knee jerk responses was giving us insight into simms comment. especially couldnt believe that rob parker and skip were so adamant in declarng eli elite when they were some of his harshest critics. i suggest youtubing the clip, very interesting and accurate
    Simms didn't even congratulate him either which I thought was weird. Tory Holt was making fun of him the whole time on inside the NFL saying that Eli broke his record. Also Collinsworth was making fun of Phil saying that now he is the expert of elite qbs. My point is that you could see that Simms was pissed and this might hold true maybe Simms is just bitter. I know I would be bitter.

  2. #1352
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,951
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    Exactly Kruunch. It is hillarious how folks bring up stats to bash Eli Manning and then dismiss stats when it supports him.

    There is no way that Roger Staubach was better than Eli Manning. Heck, Jim Kelly was a better QB than Roger Staubach.
    As I said earlier I am an army of 1.

    Fortunately my opponents are unarmed.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #1353
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well then what the hell are you talking about? You have to know how great he was. Because I've never met anyone who watched Roger Staubach play that didn't think he was an all time great.
    I never said Staubach wasn't great .. I just said Eli was better. He mirrored or surpassed all of Staubach's accomplishments with the exception of SB appearances and Staubach had a MUCH better team around him (on both sides of the ball).

    I think what you're reacting to (and the basis of your whole disillusionment) is the fact that Staubach always *looked* heroic, even when he was very pedestrian (and he had plenty of those games in his career) and conversely, Eli looks like a jerky little kid who got his dog kicked.

    But take that out and match up accomplishments ... and Eli is the superior QB in my mind. Most especially when you consider that he'll play for another 5-8 years (longevity being a big part of legacy).

  4. #1354
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jimi Hendrix Sept 18, 1970 RIP
    Posts
    25,714
    whether you saw some of the past greats is one thing but in the last 30 years all you've seen of the past greats are high light reels. No bad stuff, slumps, picks, fumbles, etc. However you get to see that from the current QBs on a week to week basis. You see it all....the good the bad and the ugly.
    Eli has his ungly moments and maybe more then some current great QBs but his results overall are what matters.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  5. #1355
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    All we Giants fans could do in the 70's was watch other QB's for other teams, and see who kills us the most. Staubach murdered us. On the rare occasion of our getting ahead he would easily bring his team back and beat us.
    I don't think I ever saw a better 2 minute QB.
    This a an example of perception being greater than reality. I remember Staubach and the Cowboys Killing the Giants for over a decade. Staubauch was the ALL Pro QB of a perennial playoff team and the Giants were in the middle of a deep dark abyss. So I think that adds to the perception of Staubach because you saw him against mostly inferior competition. Now you gotten to watch EVERY Eli snap and able to overanalyze every bit of minutae. The same way you view Simms through rose colored glasses because he was your favorite player. Look at least admit seeing Staubach and Simms play during your teens, 20's and 30s is different than seeing Eli in your 40s and 50s (I'm asuuming you are in your early 50's). You are going to have a different perception of players from back then because you were in a different part of your life.

  6. #1356
    Veteran Rusty192's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chad
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    whether you saw some of the past greats is one thing but in the last 30 years all you've seen of the past greats are high light reels. No bad stuff, slumps, picks, fumbles, etc. However you get to see that from the current QBs on a week to week basis. You see it all....the good the bad and the ugly.
    Eli has his ungly moments and maybe more then some current great QBs but his results overall are what matters.....
    Agreed 100% GT. Extremely well said.

  7. #1357
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jimi Hendrix Sept 18, 1970 RIP
    Posts
    25,714
    Quote Originally Posted by yatitle View Post
    This a an example of perception being greater than reality. I remember Staubach and the Cowboys Killing the Giants for over a decade. Staubauch was the ALL Pro QB of a perennial playoff team and the Giants were in the middle of a deep dark abyss. So I think that adds to the perception of Staubach because you saw him against mostly inferior competition. Now you gotten to watch EVERY Eli snap and able to overanalyze every bit of minutae. The same way you view Simms through rose colored glasses because he was your favorite player. Look at least admit seeing Staubach and Simms play during your teens, 20's and 30s is different than seeing Eli in your 40s and 50s (I'm asuuming you are in your early 50's). You are going to have a different perception of players from back then because you were in a different part of your life.
    I said somehting very similar in my post right before yours. I think that has alot to do with it.......
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  8. #1358
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jimi Hendrix Sept 18, 1970 RIP
    Posts
    25,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Agreed 100% GT. Extremely well said.
    thanks...I remeber thinking Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, etc were unbelievable because I was like 12 years old.....Not that they werent but it def skewed my perception.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  9. #1359
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thanks...I remeber thinking Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, etc were unbelievable because I was like 12 years old.....Not that they werent but it def skewed my perception.
    We made every QB look like an all-time great in the 70s

  10. #1360
    Bench Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    As I said earlier I am an army of 1.

    Fortunately my opponents are unarmed.
    I believe you are the unarmed one, you consistently fail to prove your point. You have your opinion, I respect that, and I wouldn't try to prove that you should like Manning more than Simms, that is a preference, but when you try to convince others that Eli is an average to above average qb and you fail to address any facts brought up by your opposition, you really make a very weak argument.

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts