Closed Thread
Page 148 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1489

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

When I think of any football player, be it QB or some other position, the word "elite" never comes to my mind. That includes Eli. To me, Eli is the very successful QB for the NFL team I've rooted for my whole life - and my "home boy" to boot. But I always seem to react when someone tries to state as fact that he is not elite. I would never start a conversation or thread to convince anyone that Eli is an "elite" QB, but I do argue the case that there is no solid ground for saying that he isn't.

Not that anyone, except me, is interested in all that.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dline83 View Post
    Bree's has had a few games just in this season where he has made bad throws, and bad decisions. He made a throw to the rb that was a bullet and was dropped and he was way shot of an open wr when he had a clean pocket to throw from. I've made multiple posts pointing this out...

Before the game Rodney Harrison said he thought Eli was the best qb in the game. Tom Coughlin has said Eli is elite, and almost every player when asked about Manning says complimentary things.

I just don't understand some of the things you state. Why do you view Eli as the lowest pure passer of the greats in the last 30 years, once again it seems like your making kind of a reach there, and either way he is still playing, what would you have said about Simms after 8 seasons?
    Phil Simms has said the Eli and Coughlin are destined for the HOF.

On the final drive in the Super Bowl Manning was 6 of 7 for 74 yards, pretty big game and pretty accurate passing.

Simms is also the guy that said Luck would not be able to make big NFL type throws and said he would quit if Mallet wasn't taken in the first round...he went in the 3rd...

Dan Fouts said after Simms comments that "you can't spell elite without Eli", this is a quote for him:

“You can’t spell elite without Eli,” Fouts said. “The pressure situations that Eli has thrived in over his short career, in my mind, make him an elite quarterback, because that is when you’re judged. How well do you do when the pressure is on, when you’ve got to win the game?

“And all you have to do is look back at his two Super Bowl wins and the way he beat the Patriots. I have to give him a nod and say Eli is elite.”

Simms had also called other qb not elite, like Marino...he is making me confused....

“‘Elite,' it's a new word in the football vocabulary. It really is,” he continued. “It's this new thing. I don't remember hearing it 25-30 years ago. With the way it's talked about now, Dan Marino was not elite, Warren Moon was never elite, Dan Fouts was not elite. Even though they went to the Hall of Fame, they're not elite.

Apparently I'm not the only one confused...from USA today:

"So, by that logic, is Manning still a Hall of Famer in Simms' mind?

Seriously, Phil Simms, what are you even saying?"

Here is a comment from Aikman:

"It's easy to say, 'Yeah he won, but ...'" former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman, who has three titles, said. "When you win a second Super Bowl or multiple Super Bowls, it eliminates a lot of those buts. It puts you in the conversation of the all-time greats and in the conversation for the Hall of Fame."

Not unbiased, but this is from Diehl:

"He's evolved into an unbelievable player," Diehl said. "His knowledge and grasp of the offense, the way he handles things, that's just from a football standpoint, let alone his leadership."

Diehl told a story about how, early in Manning's career, people outside of the Giants' organization would get flustered at Manning's unflappable, even emotionless, demeanor. He was one direction -- down the middle -- whether the Giants won or they lost, whether he played well or like a dog.

"People said, 'Oh he's so calm under pressure,' then something doesn't go right and he's the same way, and it's, 'Oh my God, how come he doesn't show emotion?'" Diehl said.

"It's just been unbelievable to see the way he's improved, the grasp of the offense, the audibles, the sacks, the recognition of blitzes, but most importantly the leadership," Diehl added. "He's stepped up tremendously for this football team and our offense. When the game is on the line, he wants the ball in his hands. It's just been awesome."

Jacoby Jones said:

"Number one? Best player in the NFL?" Jones said. "You know what, I'm going to give hats off to Eli Manning."

Michael,Boley:

Giants linebacker Michael Boley: "We have the best quarterback in the league. It's never over."

Josh Wilson:

"Right now, (Manning) is (the best late-game quarterback in the league)," Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson said. "He won this one."

Davon House:

"That's what kind of separates a good secondary and a great secondary," second-year cornerback Davon House said. "How do you play against the best guys in the league?"

Rob Ryan:

“He does a great job. He’s got an unbelievable touch. He will stand in there in the face of a damn hurricane and throw the ball. He’s really tough. We’re looking forward to this challenge. We’ve played some great quarterbacks during the year and this guy is no exception. He’s really playing well. He’s in that elite group for sure.”

I would say that's a pretty good sampling...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Rodney Harrison in the beginning of the year said Eli Manning was the best quarterback.
    he said again last week too....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

...........as I said about 40 pages ago, this thread has some amazing legs given the fact that it is more or less a retread topic.
    Go Blue!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    he said again last week too....
    Oh, I missed that.

Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    ...........as I said about 40 pages ago, this thread has some amazing legs given the fact that it is more or less a retread topic.
    Go Blue!!
    no doubt...many things have been said over and over....
    itsf fun to read. Several pages back I called it the HOUSEWIVES OF THE GIANTS MESSAGE BOARDS.....HOGMB......LOL
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Spiderman is a definitely an Elite Superhero......

Quote Originally Posted by Dline83 View Post
    Phil Simms has said the Eli and Coughlin are destined for the HOF.

On the final drive in the Super Bowl Manning was 6 of 7 for 74 yards, pretty big game and pretty accurate passing.

Simms is also the guy that said Luck would not be able to make big NFL type throws and said he would quit if Mallet wasn't taken in the first round...he went in the 3rd...

Dan Fouts said after Simms comments that "you can't spell elite without Eli", this is a quote for him:

“You can’t spell elite without Eli,” Fouts said. “The pressure situations that Eli has thrived in over his short career, in my mind, make him an elite quarterback, because that is when you’re judged. How well do you do when the pressure is on, when you’ve got to win the game?

“And all you have to do is look back at his two Super Bowl wins and the way he beat the Patriots. I have to give him a nod and say Eli is elite.”

Simms had also called other qb not elite, like Marino...he is making me confused....

“‘Elite,' it's a new word in the football vocabulary. It really is,” he continued. “It's this new thing. I don't remember hearing it 25-30 years ago. With the way it's talked about now, Dan Marino was not elite, Warren Moon was never elite, Dan Fouts was not elite. Even though they went to the Hall of Fame, they're not elite.

Apparently I'm not the only one confused...from USA today:

"So, by that logic, is Manning still a Hall of Famer in Simms' mind?

Seriously, Phil Simms, what are you even saying?"

Here is a comment from Aikman:

"It's easy to say, 'Yeah he won, but ...'" former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman, who has three titles, said. "When you win a second Super Bowl or multiple Super Bowls, it eliminates a lot of those buts. It puts you in the conversation of the all-time greats and in the conversation for the Hall of Fame."

Not unbiased, but this is from Diehl:

"He's evolved into an unbelievable player," Diehl said. "His knowledge and grasp of the offense, the way he handles things, that's just from a football standpoint, let alone his leadership."

Diehl told a story about how, early in Manning's career, people outside of the Giants' organization would get flustered at Manning's unflappable, even emotionless, demeanor. He was one direction -- down the middle -- whether the Giants won or they lost, whether he played well or like a dog.

"People said, 'Oh he's so calm under pressure,' then something doesn't go right and he's the same way, and it's, 'Oh my God, how come he doesn't show emotion?'" Diehl said.

"It's just been unbelievable to see the way he's improved, the grasp of the offense, the audibles, the sacks, the recognition of blitzes, but most importantly the leadership," Diehl added. "He's stepped up tremendously for this football team and our offense. When the game is on the line, he wants the ball in his hands. It's just been awesome."

Jacoby Jones said:

"Number one? Best player in the NFL?" Jones said. "You know what, I'm going to give hats off to Eli Manning."

Michael,Boley:

Giants linebacker Michael Boley: "We have the best quarterback in the league. It's never over."

Josh Wilson:

"Right now, (Manning) is (the best late-game quarterback in the league)," Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson said. "He won this one."

Davon House:

"That's what kind of separates a good secondary and a great secondary," second-year cornerback Davon House said. "How do you play against the best guys in the league?"

Rob Ryan:

“He does a great job. He’s got an unbelievable touch. He will stand in there in the face of a damn hurricane and throw the ball. He’s really tough. We’re looking forward to this challenge. We’ve played some great quarterbacks during the year and this guy is no exception. He’s really playing well. He’s in that elite group for sure.”

I would say that's a pretty good sampling...
    did u write this urself? thats a damn good write up if u did. i think its a little unfair to simms, but its answered some of the questions here...

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post

Closed Thread