Closed Thread
Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1489
  1. #511
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    29,271
    Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Just as good as a JPP for Richard Seymour deal
    Who wouldn't do that!

  2. #512
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    You seem hell bent on stating that Simms was a braver and tougher QB than Eli. Agree to disagree lol.
    Okay. But all I was saying is that Phil didn't worry about getting hit after a pass, while Eli does. Nothing wrong with that, and I did praise Eli because he's never missed a game.

    And I'm not questioning Eli's toughness. He may not look tough but he obviously is tough.

  3. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Okay. But all I was saying is that Phil didn't worry about getting hit after a pass, while Eli does. Nothing wrong with that, and I did praise Eli because he's never missed a game.

    And I'm not questioning Eli's toughness. He may not look tough but he obviously is tough.

    ehhhh.... im sure if you were to ask Simms himself he would say of course he was worried about getting hit. Simms was no he-man.

    Blanket statements that Eli "worries" about anything are really just speculation.

    Now Dave Brown, THAT was a qb worried about getting hit.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ruttiger711; 11-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

  4. #514
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,894
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I have a good memory too and our offensive line back then was a heck more stout than it is now.

    We not winning if David Carr starts. David Carrs job is to look good for the cameras while he holds the clip board. I like David Carr but I think we can do better at backup. Perhaps Coach Coughlin just wanted to give him a safe spot to recover from the hits he took while QB of Texans. Heck, judging from the Carolina Panthers game that he came in to do mop up duty for, the guy still has some serious PTSD.

    Not gonna argue that Plaxico made some brilliant catches and we saw how quickly our offense derailed when he Cheddar Bobbed himself. However, Mark Bavarro with his great hands and ability to gain YAC was a great security blanket for PhiL Simms.

    Phil said what he said and he thinks it to be true. I don’t agree with him but I really don’t care either.

    I think Eli Manning is a better QB than Phil Simms was but that doesn’t mean I am not a Phil Simms fan. Phil was an awesome NY Giant and will always be remembered with love and fondness by me. The guy was and still can be a cranky schmuck at times but so what. I think he has often in his mind played the what if game like a lot of us fans have. I am sure that he thinks if he had been on a different team with a different coach that he would have had way better stats. I am sure that getting hurt the year we beat Buffalo Bills in SuperBowl XXV still hurts because that would have been an awesome statistical as well as winning season for him and in my opinion it would have been his ticket to Canton.
    ,
    I have to admit, what I saw of Carr this year was not pretty. But a couple years ago he looked pretty good. Looked like he had a good arm while he has his issues dealing with pressure.

    I think you are spot on with your assessment that I put in bold. Phil knew Bill Walsh was interested in him and the feeling was mutual. But I don't think Phil has any regrets about his career. His 86 Super Bowl performance catapulted his career in a sense that the result was that everyone acknowledged him as a legitimate high level QB. Remember, there were many fans who felt Phil could never win the big game. Not only did he prove them wrong with that game, he made them look like complete idiots.

    The second Super Bowl definitely hurt. He has said that he felt like an outsider because he wasn't in there helping the team. He felt like like more of a distraction. But I think now he has grown to appreciate that second ring and the roll he played in that season. No doubt in my mind he'd be a shoe-in for Canton had he been the winning QB in the game.

  5. #515
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    ehhhh.... im sure if you were to ask Simms himself he would say of course he was worried about getting hit. Simms was no he-man.

    Blanket statements that Eli "worries" about anything are really just speculation.

    Now Dave Brown, THAT was a qb worried about getting hit.

    I try not to talk out my *** much.

    I've read one of Phil's books where he discussed what it's like getting hit as a football player. So I stand by my comments.

    I didn't say Eli openly worries about getting hit. He tries to avoid getting hit more so than Phil did. But I've watched Eli (this year) throw off his back foot when he had no immediate danger. It was apparent that he was reacting to pressure that didn't truly exist. Think it was against the Cowboys...

    But if you think I'm off base then let me ask you this: why did our GM call him skittish just a few years ago?

  6. #516
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I try not to talk out my *** much.

    I've read one of Phil's books where he discussed what it's like getting hit as a football player. So I stand by my comments.

    I didn't say Eli openly worries about getting hit. He tries to avoid getting hit more so than Phil did. But I've watched Eli (this year) throw off his back foot when he had no immediate danger. It was apparent that he was reacting to pressure that didn't truly exist. Think it was against the Cowboys...

    But if you think I'm off base then let me ask you this: why did our GM call him skittish just a few years ago?
    I see some trying to paint Simms as though he would go to the sidelines and chew on some glass... to me Simms was a great Giants QB... to others he's their hero and they shine a light on him brighter than the light they chastise Eli worshiper's for.

    Reese called him skittish around this time of year in 2007..and it was in reference to his play at that particular time. As everyone knows he wasnt playing this best football..and thats what he was commenting on...he wasnt branding him and he refused to talk about it further because he saw how the media put such a magnified negative spin on what he said. You cant really blame the media for it though, but he sure as hell hasnt called him skittish since... its funny how thats some sort of "ace up the sleeve" to pull out as though it means something.

    Please share Simms' comments - not being sarcastic, truly interested.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

  7. #517
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    I see some trying to paint Simms as though he would go to the sidelines and chew on some glass... to me Simms was a great Giants QB... to others he's their hero and they shine a light on him brighter than the light they chastise Eli worshiper's for.

    Reese called him skittish around this time of year in 2007..and it was in reference to his play at that particular time. As everyone knows he wasnt playing this best football..and thats what he was commenting on...he wasnt branding him and he refused to talk about it further because he saw how the media put such a magnified negative spin on what he said. You cant really blame the media for it though, but he sure as hell hasnt called him skittish since... its funny how thats some sort of "ace up the sleeve" to pull out as though it means something.

    Please share Simms' comments - not being sarcastic, truly interested.
    I think it means that our line needed to do a better job of protecting Eli. Looking at Eli's career vs Phil's injury-riddled career, you can surely make a case for the way Eli plays the game. Some may perceive him as not being tough while others realize that in the long run, he's very smart.

    The thing I recall about Phil's comments was that as a player you get this 'tough-guy' mentality in which you get a charge out of withstanding those hits. As the season progresses you become desensitized to it as your body actually gets used to the abuse. Of course looking back on it now, Phil has said that he has wondered how his career might have been different had he played the way Eli plays.

  8. #518
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I think it means that our line needed to do a better job of protecting Eli. Looking at Eli's career vs Phil's injury-riddled career, you can surely make a case for the way Eli plays the game. Some may perceive him as not being tough while others realize that in the long run, he's very smart.

    The thing I recall about Phil's comments was that as a player you get this 'tough-guy' mentality in which you get a charge out of withstanding those hits. As the season progresses you become desensitized to it as your body actually gets used to the abuse. Of course looking back on it now, Phil has said that he has wondered how his career might have been different had he played the way Eli plays.
    Exactly, Ro. Eli definitely tries to play smart... minimize the chances of taking an unnecessary hit.
    Phil never took a step back. He defied hits, knowingly stepping into big hits many times every game, just to complete a pass with the best follow through. Eli starts moving his weight backwards, often throwing off of the wrong foot, as he minimizes the hit. I don't for one second think Eli is afraid... he's simply trying to minimize his body... his consecutive games played is testimony to that. Phil was often injured.

  9. #519
    Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    Exactly, Ro. Eli definitely tries to play smart... minimize the chances of taking an unnecessary hit. Phil never took a step back. He defied hits, knowingly stepping into big hits many times every game, just to complete a pass with the best follow through. Eli starts moving his weight backwards, often throwing off of the wrong foot, as he minimizes the hit. I don't for one second think Eli is afraid... he's simply trying to minimize his body... his consecutive games played is testimony to that. Phil was often injured.
    I think he's even said as much - that he tries to wait to the last possible second and it was sometimes at the sacrifice of some fundamentals. How people are translating that into fear, I don't know - I cant make that connection.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

  10. #520
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    114
    This may be the thread that goes into the guinness book of records. I sat in those stands watching Mr. Simms and he was often inconsistent and I watched Parcells go redder in the face than TC when Simms got to the sidelines. I've heard Simms before make those kind of comments about his former team. He won the 86 SB and Hostetler won the playoffs and SB in '90. Guess who helped Simms stay in games. Yes Taylor and the rest of the 'lights out' defense. Carl Banks does commentary as well and tells it like it is but he provides excellent insight on why the play didn't devolpe and how it could have worked. I never heard him say anything like Simms does.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts