Closed Thread
Page 15 of 149 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    ill tell you eli wouldnt have gotten more than 15 starts with Parcells he would have benched him. Parcells was a tough cookie. You didnt get that long to prove yourself back then.
    Guess you didn't get one of my qualifying statements. Maybe Eli would never have struggled in such a simple offensive scheme while having an all time great defense to cover his ***. Keep in mind Phil had a career avg mid 50% completion percentage. Point is there is no way to tell and it could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    And it didn't go well.
    Bill would go up to Phil before practice and tell him that he was going to abuse him all day and that he needed to take it to set an example for the rest of the team.
    Phil was a special guy.
    Cowboys had a great 07 season until they met us in the playoffs. And you dont think Tom is hard or can be just as hard on players? Thats baloney.

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    How quickly we forget many horrid games by our own Phil Simms.
    ll qb's have bad games, but iv never seen a QB so up and down as eli. When phil was on he was steady the whole game. not horrid and then great at the end. im going through tums like no bodys business.

Jesus are you guys seriously going to argue who is the better Giants quarterback??? They both are great, but the fact remains Eli still has a lot left to do and will continue putting up numbers and who knows possibly win another SB and will go down as the Giants best quarterback like it or not. There is nothing wrong with Simms being second at all. The game was different when Phil played but in his prime years he always had an elite defense where Eli's has a diminishing defense. You can make these arguements all day but WHO CARES they both brought the lombardi's to NY and for that I am greatful.

I knew this thread was going to turn into Eli Manning vs Phil Simms.

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Cowboys had a great 07 season until they met us in the playoffs. And you dont think Tom is hard or can be just as hard on players. Thats baloney.
    he can be but he also can be very stubborn will keep guys in over and over till they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Phil won a lot of games and had a great defense..no doubt.
    But his passing stats were held way down by RE's system. He was an absolute pure passer. I saw an interview with Joe Montana just a few years ago and he went to a QB camp with Phil and he talked about how shocked he was to see how great Phil still threw the ball. that would have been past 50.

Phil could spin the ball like few QB's. And no one stood in the pocket and took hits to allow receivers to break open like Phil.
    I agree and stated as so on the first page. My point is no one knows what each would do in reverse roles: Eli in simple system and great D; Phil in complex system with good by erratic D. Arm strength and variables the like do not always correlate to winning i.e. Jeff george

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Cowboys had a great 07 season until they met us in the playoffs. And you dont think Tom is hard or can be just as hard on players? Thats baloney.
    That was Wade Phillips. We never faced Parcells in the playoffs.

And Tom coddles Eli. He knows Eli is a tad "delicate".
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    What were his stats in that Flipper Anderson walk off game? LOL
    I am still traumatized by that game. The fact that you would bring it up makes you hateful and mean.

And that PI call on Mark Collins was bull****!
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    Phil was a Qb that had many games start to finish solid. He didnt start off cold and get hot for the 4th qtr. imagine a QB that was steady all game long. imagine that. imagine a QB that could sustain drives during the first half and allow his Defense to get some rest.
    Erratic is Eli's greatest flaw and it seems to have influenced the team itself over his tenure. That is my biggest gripe with him, but for all of that, he's brought us two SBs and mostly on his shoulders. Phil doesn't win his SB without that quality of defense and he surely wouldn't win 25 without that D and BIll B. running that atypical 2 man down scheme.

Closed Thread