Closed Thread
Page 45 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Both those points are pure fantasy. Phil loved Wellington Mara until the day he died. I'm sure he was angry after being released by George Young, but he loved Mr. Mara.
    Secondly, Parcells stuck the Giants by quitting after the draft of 1991 where the only option the Giants had was to hire from inside, which was Ray Handley. It was Parcells who quit....and stuck the team in the process. Like they were going to fire a HC who just won his 2nd SB.
    I have to agree with you on this one. Phil Simms always spoke fondly of Mr. Mara. I do think that Phil can be a schmuck sometimes but he will always be a NY Giant legend. Phil was a very special talent with a laser canon arm that under a different HC would have probably thrown for 50,000+ yards. He was a tough SOB that was a real character too. Like Joe Namath, what he brought to the game went far beyond stats.

Tuna screwed us and he purposely did it. As smart as the guy is, he was always a spoiled brat with an enormous ego. I still think that it was Bill Bellichek that was the real genius on those NY Giants teams and judging by his success since then, it looks like I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Not true. In the touchdown to Cruz against the Redskins, Eli got drilled the second he released the ball. He knew he was going to get killed, stayed in the pocket, and threw it downfield to hit Cruz in stride for the game winner.
    You can't use just one example. And right now Eli is not that same QB. Eli started throwing off his back foot with feigned pressure on him early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    You can't use just one example. And right now Eli is not that same QB. Eli started throwing off his back foot with feigned pressure on him early this year.
    There isn't just one example of this. There are many more. We've all seen them. You made it sound like Eli is always scared to take a hit instead of biting the bullet and making a play, and Phil was so great because he wasn't.

Banned
    I disagree for two reasons. While we had a strong group in the Surburbanites and a great RB in Joe Morris, we were weak at WR. If you watched the Giants back then you know how Phil sat back there waiting and waiting for guys to get open without any regard for the pounding he was about to take. Eli is not that type of QB. I see Eli struggling with the pressure and quite possibly going into the 'chuck and duck' mode instead giving the WR the extra time needed.

The other thing is that Parcells always looked to run out the clock the moment we got a lead, so Phil had to adapt to that and become a game manager. That meant: run, run, pass. Every player ay any position feels better when they can get into a rhythm. Parcells' strategy did not allow that for Phil, so many times he ended up throwing on average about 20 times a game - all when everyone and his mother knew he had to throw. No way do I see Eli being successful in that environment.

First off Eli is still struggling with Gilbride's system so I'm not sure you should even speculate about this.

But anyway, things are so different now. For instance, there was no such thing as a QB coach for most of Phil's career. They just didn't study film and pay attention to every detail the way they do now.

The other thing when talking about the Giants system is you are failing to acknowledge Parcells' "interference" with Ron Erhardt's game plan. Ron and Phil rarely got to run their offense because of Bill Parcells insistence on running the ball the moment they got a lead, whereas Tom for the most part allows Kevin and Eli to throw whenever they want.

And you know what they say about opinions - they are just like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
    The system Eli Manning is playing in is not QB friendly at all. I really think that another OC would make a world of difference. Now, I am not saying that KGs system is bad but it one that you don’t need when you have a QB as talented as Eli. Perhaps with a decent O line, it is a better system but unfotunately Eli has never had a very good O line. Eli Manning has made the most out of a very flawed system. I don’t think Phil would have taken to it.

Eli ducking and chucking? I have no idea how you are seeing this. Eli may try to force passes and throw picks more than he should but the man hangs in the pocket. Phil Simms also handeled pocket pressure well but he just wasn’t as durable as Eli.

Our play calling when we have the lead is shaky at best. We often get too conservative and it has cost us dearly. The miracle at meadowlands 2 was a prime example of going from what worked to being too conservative. However, if we had a good O line and a good RB like Tuna had then we may be more successful running when we have the lead.

Eli Manning would have thrived if he had played for Bill Parcells on that team. Eli Manning is an old school tough SOB and Parcells would have loved him. He would have treated a lot like he did Drew Bledsoe when he drafted him.

My opinion is right and yours is wrong, regardless of what it smells like.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    The system Eli Manning is playing in is not QB friendly at all. I really think that another OC would make a world of difference. Now, I am not saying that KGs system is bad but it one that you don’t need when you have a QB as talented as Eli. Perhaps with a decent O line, it is a better system but unfotunately Eli has never had a very good O line. Eli Manning has made the most out of a very flawed system. I don’t think Phil would have taken to it.

Eli ducking and chucking? I have no idea how you are seeing this. Eli may try to force passes and throw picks more than he should but the man hangs in the pocket. Phil Simms also handeled pocket pressure well but he just wasn’t as durable as Eli.

Our play calling when we have the lead is shaky at best. We often get too conservative and it has cost us dearly. The miracle at meadowlands 2 was a prime example of going from what worked to being too conservative. However, if we had a good O line and a good RB like Tuna had then we may be more successful running when we have the lead.

Eli Manning would have thrived if he had played for Bill Parcells on that team. Eli Manning is an old school tough SOB and Parcells would have loved him. He would have treated a lot like he did Drew Bledsoe when he drafted him.

My opinion is right and yours is wrong, regardless of what it smells like.

Yours is opinion.. Mine is fact.

There isn't just one example of this. There are many more. We've all seen them. You made it sound like Eli is always scared to take a hit instead of biting the bullet and making a play, and Phil was so great because he wasn't.
    Eli has a decent feel for pressure and is very good at maneuvering just enough to get off a pass, but no, I wouldn't say Eli is anywhere near Phil in being fearless in the face of pressure. Eli protects his body and Phil didn't.

Banned
    Yours is opinion.. Mine is fact.
    Lol....hehehehehehe.......me right you wrong.......

Banned
    Eli has a decent feel for pressure and is very good at maneuvering just enough to get off a pass, but no, I wouldn't say Eli is anywhere near Phil in being fearless in the face of pressure. Eli protects his body and Phil didn't.
    Obviously you didn’t watch the NFC Championship Game against San Francisco 49ers. Also, Phil Simms had a better offensive line than Eli Manning does.

If this is about who's the tougher QB its not tipped in Phil's favor as much as you'd like to admit. Eli maneuvers around in the pocket and does have a feel for pressure, I don't care, the dudes 3rd all-time in the league for consecutive starts. You can't do that and not be tough in this league. The notion that Phil was so much more resilient than Manning is false. The dude takes plenty of hits. Many other QB's would have crumbled in the NFCCG. Which means no SB.

Banned
    If this is about who's the tougher QB its not tipped in Phil's favor as much as you'd like to admit. Eli maneuvers around in the pocket and does have a feel for pressure, I don't care, the dudes 3rd all-time in the league for consecutive starts. You can't do that and not be tough in this league. The notion that Phil was so much more resilient than Manning is false. The dude takes plenty of hits. Many other QB's would have crumbled in the NFCCG. Which means no SB.
    Rusty, I completely agree with you on this. I have no idea how folks just expect it to be a statement of fact that Phil Simms was tougher than Eli Manning is. I watched Phil play and i have obviously watched Eli play and there is no doubt that Eli Manning has taken the harder hits. Phil was tough but not as tough as Eli Manning.

Closed Thread