Closed Thread
Page 53 of 149 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1489

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

  1. #521
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    I think he's even said as much - that he tries to wait to the last possible second and it was sometimes at the sacrifice of some fundamentals. How people are translating that into fear, I don't know - I cant make that connection.
    Me neither. I've never seen fear in Eli's eyes. Frustration is the one I see the most when he's hit hard and doesn't complete the pass. Once in a while anger at a receiver going to the wrong spot. It's at times like that, when Eli gets frustrated, and/or angry, that he looks like a whiney brat... which I know makes some people dislike him. It's just the way his face will always look. But, he's quite the opposite of whiney, or afraid. Just a level headed, gooney looking guy who enjoys the competition. Accorsi knew exactly what Eli's temperment was like... easy Eli.

  2. #522
    Quote Originally Posted by eml View Post
    This may be the thread that goes into the guinness book of records. I sat in those stands watching Mr. Simms and he was often inconsistent and I watched Parcells go redder in the face than TC when Simms got to the sidelines. I've heard Simms before make those kind of comments about his former team. He won the 86 SB and Hostetler won the playoffs and SB in '90. Guess who helped Simms stay in games. Yes Taylor and the rest of the 'lights out' defense. Carl Banks does commentary as well and tells it like it is but he provides excellent insight on why the play didn't devolpe and how it could have worked. I never heard him say anything like Simms does.
    No? Mr Banks can be BRUTAL doing his commentary, it's never without good reason though.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

  3. #523
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,975
    Quote Originally Posted by eml View Post
    This may be the thread that goes into the guinness book of records. I sat in those stands watching Mr. Simms and he was often inconsistent and I watched Parcells go redder in the face than TC when Simms got to the sidelines. I've heard Simms before make those kind of comments about his former team. He won the 86 SB and Hostetler won the playoffs and SB in '90. Guess who helped Simms stay in games. Yes Taylor and the rest of the 'lights out' defense. Carl Banks does commentary as well and tells it like it is but he provides excellent insight on why the play didn't devolpe and how it could have worked. I never heard him say anything like Simms does.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think our offense with Eli has ever been ranked higher in a season in the NFL than our offense with Phil.

    Funny how our memory works.

  4. #524
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    114
    If Eli had Simm's defensive team he would have the ball back enough to far exceed any offense that Simms ran.

  5. #525
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,359
    Quote Originally Posted by eml View Post
    If Eli had Simm's defensive team he would have the ball back enough to far exceed any offense that Simms ran.
    What color is the sky in your world?
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by eml View Post
    If Eli had Simm's defensive team he would have the ball back enough to far exceed any offense that Simms ran.
    Actually, I feel that if Simms played in today's NFL and had his receivers being able to run free, he would be pretty effective. Phil Simms had a receiving corps that was pretty average.The game today is way easier for a quarterback. I understand with you and agree with you to an extent, but it goes both ways.

  7. #527
    Veteran Rat_bastich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Actually, I feel that if Simms played in today's NFL and had his receivers being able to run free, he would be pretty effective. Phil Simms had a receiving corps that was pretty average.The game today is way easier for a quarterback. I understand with you and agree with you to an extent, but it goes both ways.
    All of Simm's receivers are by what today's standards would be possession receivers. They caught the ball but usually didn't do a whole lot with it afterwards. They were not YAC guys for sure. I agree with you.

  8. #528
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    I see some trying to paint Simms as though he would go to the sidelines and chew on some glass... to me Simms was a great Giants QB... to others he's their hero and they shine a light on him brighter than the light they chastise Eli worshiper's for.

    Reese called him skittish around this time of year in 2007..and it was in reference to his play at that particular time. As everyone knows he wasnt playing this best football..and thats what he was commenting on...he wasnt branding him and he refused to talk about it further because he saw how the media put such a magnified negative spin on what he said. You cant really blame the media for it though, but he sure as hell hasnt called him skittish since... its funny how thats some sort of "ace up the sleeve" to pull out as though it means something.

    Please share Simms' comments - not being sarcastic, truly interested.
    During the 2007 season, Eli Manning had a shoulder injury and they wanted him to sit 3-4 games to rest it and he refused.

  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    Me neither. I've never seen fear in Eli's eyes. Frustration is the one I see the most when he's hit hard and doesn't complete the pass. Once in a while anger at a receiver going to the wrong spot. It's at times like that, when Eli gets frustrated, and/or angry, that he looks like a whiney brat... which I know makes some people dislike him. It's just the way his face will always look. But, he's quite the opposite of whiney, or afraid. Just a level headed, gooney looking guy who enjoys the competition. Accorsi knew exactly what Eli's temperment was like... easy Eli.
    EA stated that there were 2 things that seperated Eli Manning from the rest of the QBs in the draft and that is the size of his left testicle and the size of his right testicle. EA knew Eli Manning is fearless on the football field and EA sticking to his guns and making the deal for Eli Manning is still paying dividends.
    Last edited by BuffyBlueII; 11-16-2012 at 03:07 AM.

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    What color is the sky in your world?
    The sky is Carolina Blue. That is how we know that God is a TarHeel.

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts