Closed Thread
Page 68 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    We had more rushing yards, more passing yards, more time of possession, and oh yeah.....more points. We beat all the best teams in football that yearin our playoff run.
    We were the deserving champs!
    Cheers. Although mine is a coffee mug at this hour.
    "...gently down the loser stream!!"

--80--

Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    rotten defense ? the defense showing up in the playoffs is what did it.
    they gave up only 14 points to a previously undefeated team that led the league in scoring.
    then along came a helmet "clutch" and then a cornerback stumbled , leaving Plax wide open.
    Eli was a paltry 19 of 34 for 255 yds 2td's and 1 pic. call those MVP stats if you want.....
    compare that to Simms SB MVP stats.
    and don't get me wrong i'll accept that SB42 win
    and proudly take that 'ring' to the pawnshop anyday.....
    but we all know it was stolen jewelry.
    If Simms was our QB In SB's 2008 and 2012, we would have lost both games!
    TC: My ma urged me to get out of this game. When I was a kid, she pleaded with me. And I meant to, you know what I mean? But she died.

Reese: Tough

TC: Now look at me. I'm wet nurse to a last-place, dead-to-the-neck-up ball club, and I'm choking to death!

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I agree not to compare them......except to say that Phil was better.
    Honestly...I was trolling around this thread looking for some humor, but this actually caught my attention.

What struck me was two things:

1) most of us acknowledge that it is impossible to compare two players from two different eras, especially considering the differences in the game itself.

2) rarely does anyone ever make the best "apple to apple" comparison: How did opponents view them?

During his SB runs, Simms was not seen as a elite QB at the time (still not by most), but he was damn sure not seen as the player you were going to try to exploit. He was going to play a solid game, and he wasn't going to make any truly boneheaded plays.

Conservative, tough, accurate, and generally unflappable. And I don't remember any talk of HoF during his career.

Eli's first run could best be described as one in which every team saw him as exploitable. The Bucs flat out said it. The cowboys plan was to pressure Eli, The Pack (and this board) knew he couldn't play well in the cold.

Pressure him, and he will fold eventually.

Last years run? He achieved a status that Simms never did...if you were an opponent, Eli was the last guy on the field you wanted to have that ball-period.

Need a score late in the 4th? Call Eli.
    Need an amazing series? Call Eli.
    Game on the line? Call Eli.

We get the ball back with 2 minutes in 42, we all were full of hope and doubt.
    We get the ball back with 2 minutes to go in 46, we all start celebrating. Chis Collinsworth literally said, "here we go again" after the Pats scored, cause it just seemed like you were not going to stop the guy. Brady actually said he wanted the ball last, because he had seen what Eli could do.

Simms was far more reliable, played in a tougher time, but there was a period of time when Eli achieved a status that Simms never did...one of the most feared players in the league.

And as for his comment? Love the guy and respect his opinion. Really like that he defined it well. Watching Eli now, hard not to agree with him. Elite does not equal erratic.
    Last edited by Delicreep; 11-18-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    "I was disappointed that Eli did not lead his team in that brawl. I'm not saying I would have completely lost respect for him as a leader if I were on the squad but that kind of suspect behavior would definitely have me eyeing him sideways"...elitikistrahan

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    If Simms was our QB In SB's 2008 and 2012, we would have lost both games!
    based on what ?
    how each man actually played in the game ?
    Simms had one of the top performances of all-time.
    Eli had a "helmet clutch" and less than pedestrian stats.

had Simms been there in either 2008 or 2012 it would not have
    come down to "E-LUCKY"

its "fire and ice" vs "deer in the headlites confusion"

and i bet you that this year Parcell's woulda benched his "goober-pyle" asterisk by now.
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

based on what ?
    how each man actually played in the game ?
    Simms had one of the top performances of all-time.
    Eli had a "helmet clutch" and less than pedestrian stats.

had Simms been there in either 2008 or 2012 it would not have
    come down to "E-LUCKY"

its "fire and ice" vs "deer in the headlites confusion"

and i bet you that this year Parcell's woulda benched his "goober-pyle" asterisk by now.
    so why are you such a **** when it comes to Eli??
    just curious
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    so why are you such a **** when it comes to Eli??
    just curious
    i'm not really .....other than Rodgers i can't think of anyone in the game RIGHT NOW , that i'd rather have
    on this team.
    but i like to keep it real....is Eli better than Simms ? hell , i dunno i'd take Simms , others would say Eli ...the debate rages on...

but this 'elite" crap is nonsense. neither one of 'em are/were consistent enough for that.

but to say the Giants would have flat out lost both SB games with Simms is quite a stretch.
    Phil fared very well in big game situations..
    had Phil not been injured we would have crushed Buffalo .
    now , with Eli , it's like those Hostetler games...take away a helmet catch...and a Manningham miracle..

i like 'em both ; a little truth in the perspective is all i ask.
    Last edited by stormblue; 11-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

i'm not really .....other than Rodgers i can't think of anyone in the game RIGHT NOW , that i'd rather have
    on this team.
    but i like to keep it real....is Eli better than Simms ? hell , i dunno i'd take Simms , others would say Eli ...the debate rages on...

but this 'elite" crap is nonsense. neither one of 'em are/were consistent enough for that.

but to say the Giants would have flat out lost both SB games with Simms is quite a stretch.
    now , with Eli , it's like those Hostetler games...take away a helmet catch...and a Manningham miracle..

why was Manningham's catch a miracle?? If it was Brady to Moss everyone would say how awesome of pass and catch it was.
    The helmet catch was a lucky outcome but Eli escaping the pressure was not lucky. Him seeing Tyree down field and throwing it right to him was not lucky.
    You cant take away plays.....if are then take away Simms' plays and then what?? I love Phil Simms. I dont compare the two.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

on this team.

Just when I thought there were no more hilarious posters. This stuff is posting gold!

on this team.

Take away Simms dominant defense...a little truth in perspective, no?

Come on with this nonesene "what if's"

Quote Originally Posted by Kez Simpson View Post
    Take away Simms dominant defense...a little truth in perspective, no?

Come on with this nonesene "what if's"

C'mon man, enough with the cold water; don't ruin it.

Now say it with me: it was just a bunch of lucky plays and the Giants stole SB42.

Doesn't that feel better?

Closed Thread