Closed Thread
Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1489

Thread: Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

Its official. Brees is no longer elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I have DirectI understand perfectly that Eli is human and makes mistakes just like any other quarterback. What I'm pointing out are passing issues that are atypical of a great QB.

As for Simms career, if you're calling me insane, what do you call Wellington Mara (who's lived his entire life on the football field) and the Giants organization for retiring his jersey? Sorry, but every player and coach that played with him and against him has very high regards for him as a player. I trust these guys and my own eyes over a bunch of clueless fans that would cheer a guy when he's hurt.

I used argue with a couple of guys (prior to 86) about Simms. They would blame him for all our struggles, telling me he was a bum and that he'd NEVER win the big game. Well, after he got done killing it in the big game, they reluctantly had to shut up. The only fans that could have possibly wanted Phil gone after 86 had to be similar fans to these two guys. Someone who thought they knew what they were talking about but didn't.
    Retired numbers are no indication of a player's "greatness", just the ownership's regard for the player. Totally separate issue.

I love Phil, the team he played for and what he did for us however his numbers were pedestrian at best and he was never a great thrower (wildly inaccurate past 15 yards). He was known for liking to throw long all day long and had to be reigned in because he couldn't complete those. Conversely, his best throw was the seam pass which we exploited when we could. Many say that he played in a conservative run oriented offense ... I say we ran a conservative run oriented offense BECAUSE of Phil's limitations.

Conversely we currently run an aggressive pass oriented offense (and the most prolific offense in Giants history I might add) BECAUSE Eli is that kind of QB. If you want to say that Brees or Rodgers is better or that Eli isn't elite, then that's your opinion and you have every right to it.

However you seem to have a bad case of rose colored glasses which apparently change to bright green when viewing other lawns.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 11-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dline83 View Post
    I think one of the things that we are all kind of skipping over is that becoming great/elite/whatever you want to call it, is a progression. Simms had great games and bad games, Eli has had great games and bad games, all the great qbs have great games and bad games. I agree to say Eli is one of the best qbs to ever play the game is premature, it really is impossible to judge that until we have a complete body of work to look at. To say he is on his way, in my opinion, is a fair statement, but again, that's my opinion, not everyone has to agree with that. I think to say the passing issues are atypical of a great qb is a bit misleading, yes Eli sometimes can be off target, but so can everyone, Bree's did many of the things last night that you mentioned about Eli, throwing a bullet pass on a check down to the rb, one hopping an open wr, ect. As for myself being biased, you might be correct about that, but I have no problem pointing out faults in Eli, I just think that the positive far out ways the negative.
    So then Phil saying Eli isn't elite right now makes sense and no one should have blown his comments out of proportion.

That's what I've been saying all along.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

All-Pro
    Phil Simms is my all-time favorite Giant which automatically makes Eli my second favorite QB.

We obviously agree more than we disagree but I will say that I don't get down on Eli (or any other player) for pressing, but I do get down on Eli when he miscues on an easy play.
    Simms can always be your favorite Giant but he doesnt need to be the best. One of my fave Giants is Rodney Hampton and he's not the best running back they have had....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Retired numbers are no indication of a player's "greatness", just the ownership's regard for the player. Totally separate issue.

I love Phil, the team he played for and what he did for us however his numbers were pedestrian at best and he was never a great thrower (wildly inaccurate past 15 yards). He was known for liking to throw long all day long and had to be reigned in because he couldn't complete those. Conversely, his best throw was the seam pass which we exploited when we could. Many say that he played in a conservative run oriented offense ... I say we ran a conservative run oriented offense BECAUSE of Phil's limitations.

Conversely we currently run an aggressive pass oriented offense (and the most prolific offense in Giants history I might add) BECAUSE Eli is that kind of QB. If you want to say that Brees or Rodgers is better or that Eli isn't elite, then that's your opinion and you have every right to it.

However you seem to have a bad case of rose colored glasses which apparently change to bright green when viewing other lawns.
    Eli is on my lawn so I don't see it that way. I'm simply giving my opinion on both QB's. But my main point in all of this is that I don't think Phil was off base in his comments.

I would think playing at level which earns you a league MVP award puts you in the elite category. Eli (IMO) has had one great complete season in his 8 year career. He's had a lot of great moments so don't get me wrong, including of course the unfathomable ending in 2007. Eli is a special QB for sure, but he's not a great passer. Obviously that doesn't matter when it comes to getting the job done, but it does matter (I believe) when we're considering where he ranks at his position.

We must agree to disagree on Phil's career because I just don't see as you call it. Frst you're stating that Phil was "wildly inaccurate past 15 yards," and then you go on to say "his best throw was the seam pass." Weren't all those seam passes over 15 yards?

Next, BP used to infuriate Ron Earhart for cutting the balls out of his offensive game plan. Bill's strategy was to get a 7 pt. lead and then try and run out the clock. We used to throw only when we had to. If you think playing QB for Parcells (at that time) was conducive for a QB's success, there's not much I can say. Only that Bill Walsh wanted Simms for his offense. And Bill Walsh knew a thing or two about quarterbacks and offenses.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

Eli is on my lawn so I don't see it that way. I'm simply giving my opinion on both QB's. But my main point in all of this is that I don't think Phil was off base in his comments.
    I think he was a touch off base ... especially if you consider that Eli is going to most likely play at least another five years. Even at pedestrian numbers that will put his stats among the best of all time.

He came off sounding a bit like sour grapes ... especially with the timing of beating Simms TD record.

I would think playing at level which earns you a league MVP award puts you in the elite category. Eli (IMO) has had one great complete season in his 8 year career. He's had a lot of great moments so don't get me wrong, including of course the unfathomable ending in 2007. Eli is a special QB for sure, but he's not a great passer. Obviously that doesn't matter when it comes to getting the job done, but it does matter (I believe) when we're considering where he ranks at his position.
    Ok, at least that's a measuring stick. Would you consider Rich Gannon a great QB? He won a league MVP. I'd call him a good QB who had one great season in a long career. How about Roger Staubach? I'd say (and have said) he was a great QB and he never won a league MVP. Or Troy Aikman? or Jim Kelly?

We must agree to disagree on Phil's career because I just don't see as you call it. Frst you're stating that Phil was "wildly inaccurate past 15 yards," and then you go on to say "his best throw was the seam pass." Weren't all those seam passes over 15 yards?
    10-15 yard passes. The reason it was his best pass was because he could hit people in stride (no mean feat).

Next, BP used to infuriate Ron Earhart for cutting the balls out of his offensive game plan. Bill's strategy was to get a 7 pt. lead and then try and run out the clock. We used to throw only when we had to. If you think playing QB for Parcells (at that time) was conducive for a QB's success, there's not much I can say. Only that Bill Walsh wanted Simms for his offense. And Bill Walsh knew a thing or two about quarterbacks and offenses.
    BP went on to New England, Jets and the Cowboys and had prolific passing teams.

Veteran
    Simms most "accurate" years were the last 2 years of his career. Don't think it is far fetched to believe the same might be true for Eli.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SimmPh00.htm

Bench Player
    So then Phil saying Eli isn't elite right now makes sense and no one should have blown his comments out of proportion.

That's what I've been saying all along.
    Like I've been saying, that is his opinion, I never made a comment about Simms saying Eli was elite, all of my arguments were started because Morehead State said that Simms was just a better football player then Manning and then shifted into my argument that Manning is one of the greats of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Are you serious with this?
    Get well, get back #80

"eli isnt a great passer"...i dont even know how to begin with that one...

Closed Thread