Closed Thread
Page 119 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1489
    I'll say this much in defense of Eli and that is the fact he is hurt in terms of perception by what I would call overrated defenses during the Giants championship runs. People (as in the general fan) think that the 2007 Giants D was some beast because of how they rattled Brady in the SB but always forget that the Pats D was actually superior or how the 2011 Giants D was ranked in the bottom 5 for pass D even though most people remember them yet again for their playoff success. With a franchise known for it's defense, Eli faces an uphill battle in this regard compared to the likes of Peyton or Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    You bring up some great points but you have to admit that 4000 yd seasons aren't as impressive as they used to be and the guys we are comparing Eli to now (Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc) easily achieve those feats. The TDs in the 4th quarter for the 2011 season is a great individual achievement but how do they compare to multiple regular season MVPs or what about Brees and Brady both breaking Marino's most yards in a single season record?

Road playoff wins is another great achievement but couldn't that be argued to be more of a team accomplishment and perhaps more of a sign of the success Coughlin has on the road in the playoffs?

Eli beating Brady is a tough one. Some people will see it that way but others see the two QBs just playing different defenses. Brady certainly put the Patriots in good enough spots to beat the Giants in both SBs but his defense couldn't hold. It's very debatable.

I'm with Harooni (lol) that Eli could use a regular season MVP to really cement his place in the HoF today. That's just me though.
    This isnt about the reg season stats because those guys win. Still they aren't even blowing him out of the water in that regard either. He was about 60 yards short of throwing for 5,000. Yeah, that happens all the time lol

If you want to argue that perhaps Eli's success is more philosophy then what about guys like Brees, or Rodgers? Goes both ways.

Yeah no crap he didn't play defense against Brady, but if Im looking at Eli's career and I see that he was able to accomplish beating the legendary Bilichick/Brady led team, stomping over AR's squad en route to said SB, then yeah, that is enough for me. You cant do that and not be of the best ever. Eli's legacy will speak for itself. All Fantasy Football aside...
    Last edited by Rusty192; 11-28-2012 at 04:52 PM.

You bring up some great points but you have to admit that 4000 yd seasons aren't as impressive as they used to be and the guys we are comparing Eli to now (Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc) easily achieve those feats. The TDs in the 4th quarter for the 2011 season is a great individual achievement but how do they compare to multiple regular season MVPs or what about Brees and Brady both breaking Marino's most yards in a single season record?
    Single season passing yards is more a testament to Marino then it is for Brees and Brady since they latter two only accomplished this once the receiver rules were in place. If we're being pundits about it. Records are definitely a highlight but again you run into the Montana vs. Marino debate.

Road playoff wins is another great achievement but couldn't that be argued to be more of a team accomplishment and perhaps more of a sign of the success Coughlin has on the road in the playoffs?
    I agree ... road play off wins is a dubious distinction at best as it means you weren't good enough during the regular season to merit a home game. It's a fun talking point on an episode of "The Football Life" but I don't think stands up quite as strong as the more common stats do.

Eli beating Brady is a tough one. Some people will see it that way but others see the two QBs just playing different defenses. Brady certainly put the Patriots in good enough spots to beat the Giants in both SBs but his defense couldn't hold. It's very debatable.
    This I think this is one of Eli's biggest plugs ... both SBs ended with the ball in Brady's hands. Additionally, the 2007 Patriots are widely considered one of the best NFL teams ever.

I'm with Harooni (lol) that Eli could use a regular season MVP to really cement his place in the HoF today. That's just me though.
    I do prize league MVPs over Super Bowl MVPs, however there has never been a 2 time Super Bowl MVP who hasn't made the HoF (which is why I think Eli makes it if Martians kidnapped him today).

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I agree ... road play off wins is a dubious distinction at best as it means you weren't good enough during the regular season to merit a home game. It's a fun talking point on an episode of "The Football Life" but I don't think stands up quite as strong as the more common stats do.
    I dont consider it to be this great stat per se. but it does show tenacity in being able to go into a hostile environment in the playoffs, and come out victorious.

Banned
    I think we can all agree that this is much needed:

Also, be on the lookout for harrycarson, he is not really Harry Carson. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    I dont consider it to be this great stat per se. but it does show tenacity in being able to go into a hostile environment in the playoffs, and come out victorious.
    I agree but I don't think that it would be the point the average football fan would make 20 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I agree but I don't think that it would be the point the average football fan would make 20 years from now.
    eh, who knows.

Eli's legacy will speak for itself. All Fantasy Football aside...
    But will Eli's legacy compare to that of Peyton and Brady? There isn't a question on whether Eli will have a significant legacy but it's about if he will earn the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as those two when you look at the entire resume.

Even though he was close to 5k yards, he was outshadowed by the likes of Brees and Brady. Stafford hit it too but no one will care. Some will even see Rodgers tied with Eli since he didn't play the last game of the regular season. Not that I agree with it but Eli will always face an uphill and unfair battle in this conversation.

single season passing yards is more a testament to Marino then it is for Brees and Brady since they latter two only accomplished this once the receiver rules were in place.
    True to a certain extent. 5,000 is now the new mark everyone is impressed with though I think playoff success should be weighted more in the potential 4 games you can play up to.

I agree ... road play off wins is a dubious distinction at best as it means you weren't good enough during the regular season to merit a home game.
    I see it more like trying to give a QB pitcher or goalie like statistics when american football shouldn't be measured like that. It isn't fair to label that under an Eli achievement when there are 51 other players responsible for those victories, especially when you had a guy like Jacquian Williams who came up huge in the SF game to get the TO in overtime.

This I think this is one of Eli's biggest plugs ... both SBs ended with the ball in Brady's hands. Additionally, the 2007 Patriots are widely considered one of the best NFL teams ever.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Brady have under a minute in both SBs to get his time a TD? How often is that accomplished by an offense?

do prize league MVPs over Super Bowl MVPs, however there has never been a 2 time Super Bowl MVP who hasn't made the HoF (which is why I think Eli makes it if Martians kidnapped him today).
    That first SB MVP is controversial to some. Considering that Patriots team was one of the best offenses in history, some feel that the Dline or Justin Tuck in particular should of been the recipient of the award. Plus, the QB in most occasions is given the game MVP. It will depend on the voter/fan.

But will Eli's legacy compare to that of Peyton and Brady? There isn't a question on whether Eli will have a significant legacy but it's about if he will earn the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as those two when you look at the entire resume.
    He has one more than SB his big bro. Peyton could have had two but will be remembered as choking it away. You can't debate that one. Threw it right to the defender for a death pick six...

And while Tom may be considered better, Eli still beat him in the big one multiple times. So yeah, he very well could be mentioned along with them. The regular season does not dictate how good of a quarterback you are, its the entire deal that does.

He has one more than SB his big bro. Peyton could have had two but will be remembered as choking it away. You can't debate that one. Threw it right to the defender for a death pick six...

And while Tom may be considered better, Eli still beat him in the big one multiple times. So yeah, he very well could be mentioned along with them. The regular season does not dictate how good of a quarterback you are, its the entire deal that does.
    Brady also looked extremely pedestrian against the Jets in the 2010 playoffs. You can make the case that his wins over Denver and Baltimore weren't impressive either.

I'm not sure why we get this perception that Brady, Brees, and Peyton are always good all the time. The regular season? yeah, but what about the playoffs? isn't that what matters the most? I guess it all depends on your perception.
    I thought we had something special!!!