Closed Thread
Page 143 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1489
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I think he was a touch off base ... especially if you consider that Eli is going to most likely play at least another five years. Even at pedestrian numbers that will put his stats among the best of all time.

He came off sounding a bit like sour grapes ... especially with the timing of beating Simms TD record.

Ok, at least that's a measuring stick. Would you consider Rich Gannon a great QB? He won a league MVP. I'd call him a good QB who had one great season in a long career. How about Roger Staubach? I'd say (and have said) he was a great QB and he never won a league MVP. Or Troy Aikman? or Jim Kelly?

10-15 yard passes. The reason it was his best pass was because he could hit people in stride (no mean feat).

BP went on to New England, Jets and the Cowboys and had prolific passing teams.
    If Phil had a history of taking shots at Eli I might believe what some of you are suggesting, but Phil has always spoken highly of Eli so I'm not inclined to think it's personal. Even years ago when Eli was struggling with his consistency, Phil always propped him up. I think the answer is pretty simple. Phil was asked the question when Eli was in a funk. That's the only reason why I believe he said that. Let's face it, it's not like we are talking about Dan Marino's record. I'm pretty sure Phil knew his record/s would be broken someday.

When I mentioned the MVP, I was talking about that on top of what he's done. Not just one MVP award. Whether we agree that Eli is elite, we probably all agree that he's pretty damn good.

As for Parcells, I have to give him credit for evolving with the game, although, early on I thought he was a terrible offensive coach. Many times I felt we won in spite of Bill's coaching decisions.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905 Get well, get back #80

i guess ill start with "eli has the highest % completion on passes 20 yds or more, as well as the most passes traveled 20 yds in the air or more over the last what, 3 seasons?"
    the fact he is able to be so competitive with other qbs passer completion, qb rating when he's making so many more difficult throws a year, to me, means he is one helluva passer.
    peyton manning throws the ugliest ducks ive ever seen...guess what, they all are on target. is he not "a great passer"? eli doesnt always have the prettiest ball, he also rarely has the time to set his feet and plant into the throw with how quickly he consistently gets rid of the ball. he's able to make those passes 20 yds or more with more success than other qbs while often having to throw off his back foot...eli's saving grace imo is his ability as a passer. he makes stick throws in situations other qbs simply cannot ie the sb pass to MM...

All QBs wether great, elite, thebest of the best, or whatever have quirks so to speak. Eli's happens to be boneheaded playes here and there and some inconsistency. Ok....so what. Look at that the overall picture thus far and the results....not too bad right?....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    As for Parcells, I have to give him credit for evolving with the game, although, early on I thought he was a terrible offensive coach. Many times I felt we won in spite of Bill's coaching decisions.
    Ohhh gotta disagree there big guy.

As for Simms comments, I believe they were more attention driven then anything. Simms is an analyst/commentator and he needs talking point material as much as anyone. But yeah I think part of it was maliciously driven. Phil has never struck me as the overly evolved type.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Simms can always be your favorite Giant but he doesnt need to be the best. One of my fave Giants is Rodney Hampton and he's not the best running back they have had....
    Ever since last season I haven't said Phil was the best. But what I've always said and still believe is that Phil threw the ball much better than Eli does. Eli's accuracy has definitely improved but after this latest slump he's shown that he still hasn't out grown his bad habits. Who knows, maybe he never will.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905 Get well, get back #80

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    "eli isnt a great passer"...i dont even know how to begin with that one...
    Before you do, let me tell you something Eli was saying about his big brother. Someone had asked Eli how Peyton was doing and Eli respond that he "continues to make progress" and that you can see by his throws (that he's throwing tighter spirals - his words) as the season has progressed.

Now let's be honest, Eli has thrown and continues to throw a lot of wobbly ducks. No doubt he has improved, especially with his accuracy, but he just doesn't throw a great pass. And of course we all know that has stopped him from being a two-time SB MVP. So don't get your panties in a bunch over it. Everything is relative. It's just football talk.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    All QBs wether great, elite, thebest of the best, or whatever have quirks so to speak. Eli's happens to be boneheaded playes here and there and some inconsistency. Ok....so what. Look at that the overall picture thus far and the results....not too bad right?....
    Not bad at all. Now this might be dumb on my part, but I would not trade Eli straight up for any quarterback in the league right now.

Other guys might be a little better, but I'm perfectly happy with Eli.

Ever since last season I haven't said Phil was the best. But what I've always said and still believe is that Phil threw the ball much better than Eli does. Eli's accuracy has definitely improved but after this latest slump he's shown that he still hasn't out grown his bad habits. Who knows, maybe he never will.
    Phil threw a nice ball the spiral wise then Eli for sure. I guess he was more accurate but I cant really say that for sure. I have seen Eli hit many a tight window. As you said....Eli isnt out growing anything.....IMO its the way he is....
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Not bad at all. Now this might be dumb on my part, but I would not trade Eli straight up for any quarterback in the league right now.

agreed....he works in this system.....

That pretty much sums up my feelings on Eli and why I consider him elite.

I would have traded Simms for Montana in a heartbeat.