Closed Thread
Page 69 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    C'mon man, enough with the cold water; don't ruin it.

Now say it with me: it was just a bunch of lucky plays and the Giants stole SB42.

Doesn't that feel better?
    That's what my buddy, a Patriots fan, says to this day.

I guess if you say something enough it will become true, like that "Secret" book/movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kez Simpson View Post
    That's what my buddy, a Patriots fan, says to this day.
    How's that working out for him? He feel much better does he?

I didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Honestly...I was trolling around this thread looking for some humor, but this actually caught my attention.

What struck me was two things:

1) most of us acknowledge that it is impossible to compare two players from two different eras, especially considering the differences in the game itself.

2) rarely does anyone ever make the best "apple to apple" comparison: How did opponents view them?

During his SB runs, Simms was not seen as a elite QB at the time (still not by most), but he was damn sure not seen as the player you were going to try to exploit. He was going to play a solid game, and he wasn't going to make any truly boneheaded plays.

Conservative, tough, accurate, and generally unflappable. And I don't remember any talk of HoF during his career.

Eli's first run could best be described as one in which every team saw him as exploitable. The Bucs flat out said it. The cowboys plan was to pressure Eli, The Pack (and this board) knew he couldn't play well in the cold.

Pressure him, and he will fold eventually.

Last years run? He achieved a status that Simms never did...if you were an opponent, Eli was the last guy on the field you wanted to have that ball-period.

Need a score late in the 4th? Call Eli.
    Need an amazing series? Call Eli.
    Game on the line? Call Eli.

We get the ball back with 2 minutes in 42, we all were full of hope and doubt.
    We get the ball back with 2 minutes to go in 46, we all start celebrating. Chis Collinsworth literally said, "here we go again" after the Pats scored, cause it just seemed like you were not going to stop the guy. Brady actually said he wanted the ball last, because he had seen what Eli could do.

Simms was far more reliable, played in a tougher time, but there was a period of time when Eli achieved a status that Simms never did...one of the most feared players in the league.

And as for his comment? Love the guy and respect his opinion. Really like that he defined it well. Watching Eli now, hard not to agree with him. Elite does not equal erratic.
    Another great post.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    so why are you such a **** when it comes to Eli??
    just curious
    Have you ever questioned bj why he's such a prick to Phil? The guy is probably in his 60's or 70's but acts like a friggin school boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Nonsense.
    We were the better team on that field in SB 42.
    And the "stumbling CB" came from a great move by Plax that they knew they were vulnerable to from film study and waited until the right time to use it.
    i totally agree on the better team aspect ....read what i said ....i was defending the stellar effort by our defense
    (which is what really won the game)
    a defense that was being unjustly maligned by the poster... and also pointing out that offensively we were pretty much lackluster.

comparing Eli's MVP performance to Phil's is just....
    there isn't even a comparison to be made.
    Last edited by stormblue; 11-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Honestly, he is right. He has been a mess for the last 4 games. Out of the elite QB's in the NFL, how many of those guys have had 4 game slumps like this? I like Elli as our QB, but I have to agree with Simms on this one.
    Me Too. Eli is a really good QB, but great is held up for a small select few. And in this league there are only four. Rodgers, Brady, Breeze and P Manning. Then there is Eli in his own class and then all of the other QBs in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    Stolen jewelry for Super Bowl 42 now...... Hey want don't we just say the pats "gave it to us" now?What a luxury you have as a fan to have a throw away Lombardi trophy - ridiculous.
    don't put words in my mouth.
    you obviously do not understand my analogy.
    they didn't give us nothing....we took it.
    the pawn shop analogy meant that it is still worth just as much , not really take it to the pawn shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Just when I thought there were no more hilarious posters. This stuff is posting gold!
    real gold ..save it up for a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    why was Manningham's catch a miracle?? If it was Brady to Moss everyone would say how awesome of pass and catch it was.
    The helmet catch was a lucky outcome but Eli escaping the pressure was not lucky. Him seeing Tyree down field and throwing it right to him was not lucky.
    You cant take away plays.....if are then take away Simms' plays and then what?? I love Phil Simms. I dont compare the two.
    take away any 2 entire scoring drives....and Phil still wins.
    take away one first down.....and Eli loses.

anyways all you smug-asterisks jumpin' on board here to pummel me need to keep in mind
    that i jumped in here to defend our defense....that really won the game.
    stop making me compare Eli and Phil....it wasn't my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    We had more rushing yards, more passing yards, more time of possession, and oh yeah.....more points. We beat all the best teams in football that yearin our playoff run.
    We were the deserving champs!
    and what would be the over-all concept here....Eli tore up NE with 17 monster points ?
    or might it be that our defense shut down a record breaking offensive juggernaut and held them to just 14 points.
    a team effort indeed , but who were the real heroes ?

you folks decide which was the greater accomplishment.