+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Victor Cruz getting ripped on facebook again....

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Ok. So what should he do? What actions could he take to make amends? Should he lock himself in a room and watch film for 5 straight days?

Not being the least bit sarcastic or facetious. I'd really like to hear your solution.

These guys are trained to have short memories. You can't dwell on the mistakes or the bad games, because you'll never be able to get past them, and it'll carry over to the next one. Thats what I see Vic doing, and thats what I was taught when I played ball years ago. Forget it, and move on.
    I may be missing your point or you may be attaching me to others' comments. Of course there is no way for him to put the tooth paste back in the tube. .............and maybe the reaction is a bit much (I haven't read any of it). However, it is very useful for him to hear from the fans about how they feel. He "poked the bear" and he should know what happens when you do that. My comments were focused on the use of social media by untrained and not so worldly users. Frankly, all of his popularity flows from football so my recommendation would be that during the season, he stick solely to that. In the off season, he can reveal his more nuanced side.

It is also concerning to me that within 24 hours of a devastating loss where he did virtually nothing that he was OK with going off message. Most people, whether the loss was in sports or with family or business, would be involved in introspection and analysis figuring out how to get the ship straightened out.........but he's doing that through hats?

Lastly, at the risk of being redundant it is really all about "appearances" and he appeared totally out of touch with the the people who pay his salary.He could have asked his buddies about choices in hats. Social media puts everything on steroids (bad referece there) and this reaction by fans (remember i said I haven't read it) is certainly an expected outgrowth of an inappropriate comment given what happened less than 24 hours earlier.

This brings me back to my starting point. The result of this speaks for itself. His choices in what to talk about were flawed to say the least. He needs to hire someone who has better judgement along those lines or he should simply stick to football during the season (which IMO would be best).

Lastly, there is a part of me that feels this is a good learning experience for VC. I really like him and think he'll learn from this going forward.
    No one remembers who came in second.

He should call Steve Smith and ask for advice on what to do.

Smith was all but run out of..well town("The Internet") after his announcement to Philly.

His facebook contained some of the most hateful and vulgar language you will ever see on that site.

Lets just say in less than 24 hours his FB was removed. Cruz should learn a thing or two from that. Social Media can be a big tool, but when you piss off your audience, its useless.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I have to agree with Jomo's posts. He pretty much said it all. I don't have a facebook or twitter page. I don't think anyone really gives a crap about my day to day life, other than my family and friends. I like to actually talk to them. All that aside, was there more to this? I mean those comments seemed pretty tame to me. Remember "fan" is short for fanatic. Fans seem to be more invested emotionally to teams than players. Its just the way it is. I think Victor found that out and will take it into account in the future. If you put yourself out there you have to take the bad with the good. Those people have just as much right to post as the butt kissers.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    I have to agree with Jomo's posts. He pretty much said it all. I don't have a facebook or twitter page. I don't think anyone really gives a crap about my day to day life, other than my family and friends. I like to actually talk to them. All that aside, was there more to this? I mean those comments seemed pretty tame to me. Remember "fan" is short for fanatic. Fans seem to be more invested emotionally to teams than players. Its just the way it is. I think Victor found that out and will take it into account in the future. If you put yourself out there you have to take the bad with the good. Those people have just as much right to post as the butt kissers.
    There have been some comments that were pretty shameful. Fortunately not many people crossed the line.
    For me I have no problem with fans ripping into a player, or criticizing them via social media, but I find it absolutely despicable when they go too far and start threatening players, using racial slurs, etc, etc. The Steve Smith fiasco was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on the internet. Truly awful some of the things people said to him.

His career is short and needs to play better than come out with the wich hat I should wear etc. He is getting a lot of money to perform or may get it so he needs to play better. But there is a but though. We don't know how hard he is working to get back on top so we can't judge him.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    There have been some comments that were pretty shameful. Fortunately not many people crossed the line.
    For me I have no problem with fans ripping into a player, or criticizing them via social media, but I find it absolutely despicable when they go too far and start threatening players, using racial slurs, etc, etc. The Steve Smith fiasco was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on the internet. Truly awful some of the things people said to him.
    That's probably why Die-Hard was so fired up in defense of Cruz. I didn't read the remarks on Facebook. Of course there are limits on how to express displeasure with a player's ill timed remarks on Facebook and from your description, some people crossed that line.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Again, a lot of you are taking the whole thing too seriously, to the point where it's quite disturbing.

He knows he's been playing badly lately. He knows the team has lost 2 in a row. He knows the fans are probably upset

So he has a Facebook account in order to connect with the fans. Yes, he should expect good AND bad things on there, and I can all but guarantee that he does. However, it still doesn't mean that going bat **** crazy on the guy for asking about a hat after a loss is ok, and that he deserves to be lambasted because you dont have the tact to know when you've gone too far. Like Harooni said earlier, I think a lot of you guys want to see a video of him bashing his head against the wall, instead of moving on with his life and working on getting his game back on track. He doesn't owe any single one of us a single thing, so get off his back, will ya? I'm quite sure that playing badly isn't part of his master plan.
    I said earlier that fans want him to be just as upset as they are. Asking what hat he should wear on facebook and finding out hes working with Jayz after a horrible loss gives off a feeling that hes not as concerned as we are. Reminds me of Romo going to Mexico during the playoffs. He turned down dancing with the stars last year cause he wanted to focus on football. What has changed? The sb ring on his finger? Id like him to focus on football during the season and save all the fb and Jayz crap for the off season. I think thats what most fans want as well.
    Last edited by dezzzR; 11-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread