+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New equipment

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Here's some relevant information as to the possible breadth and depth of the pending lawsuits.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...s/Default.aspx
    That's pretty damning evidence.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Speaking from the vantage point of someone who was hit in the eye with a high stick, I have to disagree. I'd never get on the ice again without a helmet and face cage.

I get his point though.

sometimes even the best equipment falls short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v...ture=endscreen

i do agree though, some equiptment may make you feel more invincible. look at the MMA guys, hardly any protection!!
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 11-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    That's pretty damning evidence.
    That will certainly be the position of the former players in their lawsuits.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Don't laugh. I remember Barry Beck (NY Rangers defensman) saying that helmets made hockey a lot more dangerous. He thought players were more more aggressive with helmets.
    Anyone remember Butch Goring?
    Back in '83, as a wee lad collecting hockey cards, I could've sworn his helmet was soft. It looked really wierd, like it was made out of something other

then plastic.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Here is the rub, while Roa is absolutely right, its the brain slapping the inside of the skull when the head suddenly stops that causes the damage (think of hitting your windsheilld in an accident), a soft helmet would certainly be effective.

An inch of crumple zone would make a world of difference, it is comprable the a crumple zone in a vehicle since the head is travelling far more slowly. The problem is this:

To be effective they would have to be replaced any time they have been impacted. Ok, replace them, replacing 22 helmets per play is impractical so this cushion would have to be external or some type of indicator would have to be used. People are up in arms about rules already, there would be even more rules about impact indicators and depleted helmets. There could be another flag needed. Such a big change just would be too difficult to implement, thigh pads are too much to reaqch agreement on..

this will be the in the future, less injuries!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxD...eature=related
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 11-16-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: wrong link

+ Reply to Thread