+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New equipment

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The concussion issue will not be solved with "equipment." What causes concussions is the unnatural movement of the brain WITHIN the skull. I can't see any external piece of equipment that would, of itself, prevent that.
    Make helmets out of that material they used in Time Cop, remember when his car went into the fountain, it filled with foam? lol

So hitting your head on the ground, would basically be impactless lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111438/

“I never try to be something I'm not,”

Eli Manning

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    And that is what this is all about.

All these new rules and huge fines for guys doing what used to be considered good football.
    They see a boatload of liability down the road. This is all an attempt to mitigate that.
    Fear of incurred cost has been and probably will continue to be the only force that drives workplace safety. Take it from a guy who works construction in the south, if there are no consequences safety wont even be considered.

Ends and means notwithstanding, this is a good thing, at least for those who play this game we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I wonder about NFL equipment.....we've got materials out there that can literrally stop a bullet, and yet we can't develop equipment that can protect against blowing out knees and concussions, etc.

Maybe the best solution is a radically redesigned, mandatory equipment.
    Players use the same material that stop bullets, kevlar. Some use it in their chest pads and helmets as well. The brain still bounces off the skull when hit with enough force no matter whats protecting your head.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The concussion issue will not be solved with "equipment." What causes concussions is the unnatural movement of the brain WITHIN the skull. I can't see any external piece of equipment that would, of itself, prevent that.
    Exactly. The studies currently in place for concussions, are more for aftercare than preventative care.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fourth&forever View Post
    You don't see many knee braces being worn because the players choose not to wear them.
    Making them mandatory would probably be opposed by the union. Same for other equipment.
    A few years back I researched knee braces, talked to Ortho friends and there is (was) little to support that knee braces prevent injury. i bought one anyway..a very expensive one. He blew his ACL on 1st day of practice his senior year. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    Exactly. The studies currently in place for concussions, are more for aftercare than preventative care.
    I think the only realistic answer may be creating a threshold on the number of concussions a player can sustain is a given period of time and/or over the span of a career. Workplace safety IS driven by economics because juries award really bizarre sums of money for accidents. Employers have no option other than to establish safety rules with consequences for employees who don't adhere to the rules.

The NFL has HUGE pockets and as these lawsuits start to come to settlement they may have to re-examine how the game is played.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    are these equipment made in china?

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Players use the same material that stop bullets, kevlar. Some use it in their chest pads and helmets as well. The brain still bounces off the skull when hit with enough force no matter whats protecting your head.
    That's the dilemma
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Yeah the only thing the helmet is really doing is preventing external damage and lessening the internal damage a smidge..

“I never try to be something I'm not,”

Eli Manning

Veteran
    I noticed that the nfl equipment in the old days were HUGE, can someone explain why it got smaller? is it because of better materials?

+ Reply to Thread