+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New equipment

Veteran
    i dont understand why the NFL doesn't just makes the players sign an agreement not to sue the nfl later and just let them play as is.. god dammit, they're getting paid literally millions of dollars.. that has to come as some risk..

i am a firefighter, people in my line of work get paid just handfuls of thousands of dollars a year.. and guess what.. we sometimes breathe in stuff that won't kill us today, but may kill us 10-15 years later.. if i get sick when I'm 50-60 can I sue my department for that? No.. it's a risk we take to do our job.. those damn players get paid MILLIONS to freaking play a game.. if they get injured (whatever form) shouldn't it be their responsibility..??

you know whats a good way not to have concussions? no't play football.. i can guarantee a mostly concussion free life if you don't play football.. but if you want the glamor and money and life that pro football brings, then suck it up and take the injuries that MAY come and don't come back and sue the league that gave you opportunity to be filthy rich in the first place..

just my dos centavos..

Quote Originally Posted by rEaS View Post
    i dont understand why the NFL doesn't just makes the players sign an agreement not to sue the nfl later and just let them play as is.. god dammit, they're getting paid literally millions of dollars.. that has to come as some risk..

i am a firefighter, people in my line of work get paid just handfuls of thousands of dollars a year.. and guess what.. we sometimes breathe in stuff that won't kill us today, but may kill us 10-15 years later.. if i get sick when I'm 50-60 can I sue my department for that? No.. it's a risk we take to do our job.. those damn players get paid MILLIONS to freaking play a game.. if they get injured (whatever form) shouldn't it be their responsibility..??

you know whats a good way not to have concussions? no't play football.. i can guarantee a mostly concussion free life if you don't play football.. but if you want the glamor and money and life that pro football brings, then suck it up and take the injuries that MAY come and don't come back and sue the league that gave you opportunity to be filthy rich in the first place..

just my dos centavos..
    I don't think anyone would sign such a document and, in reality, I'm not sure they would hold much water if they did. The truth is men enter this profession knowing the risks. If I were the NFL, I might look at drawing up a legal disclaimer that players have to sign which advises them of the consequences of playing in the NFL. But requiring someone to relinquish a right they under law is just not going to fly I don't think.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Unfortunately, football is a violent sport. The players are getting bigger, making the hits more violent. The players are making more money, making it a desirable profession. We, the fans are like the Romans of old, the more violent, the louder we cheer. So where does it all come to? If a player does not hit as hard as he can, he will soon be looking for a new profession. So, who is to blame? The players, the fans or the League? We are all responsible. Will new equipment help? As long as we love our violent sports, people will get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    Unfortunately, football is a violent sport. The players are getting bigger, making the hits more violent. The players are making more money, making it a desirable profession. We, the fans are like the Romans of old, the more violent, the louder we cheer. So where does it all come to? If a player does not hit as hard as he can, he will soon be looking for a new profession. So, who is to blame? The players, the fans or the League? We are all responsible. Will new equipment help? As long as we love our violent sports, people will get hurt.
    That about sums it up
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    I actually agree with Urlacher (or he agrees with me haha):

"If you don't want to play and get concussed, then don't play," Urlacher said. "It's your career, it's your life.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ant-concussion

I've always admired urlacher, he's one of the last remaining old school MLBs in the league.. and he is 100% correct with everything he says.. the nfl is so focused on protecting offensive players they sometimes forget about defensive players.. like offensive players can facemask and throw hands to the face all they want but defensive players can't.. or chop blocks.. etc..

anyways.. don't want a concussion? then don't play..

I realize that we are talking about apples and oranges here, but consider NASCAR. The drivers don't have choices about certain equipment....it has to be worn. The cars are required to be designed a certain way.

And yet, with all the restrictions, you've got guys flying around the track at 200 mph and surviving insane crashes.

I'm not talking about adding some pads....something more radical.......I'm thinking of something along the lines of an exoskeleton.....where a joint (like a knee) can't go in the wrong direction.

Players could get their own custom suits.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I realize that we are talking about apples and oranges here, but consider NASCAR. The drivers don't have choices about certain equipment....it has to be worn. The cars are required to be designed a certain way.

And yet, with all the restrictions, you've got guys flying around the track at 200 mph and surviving insane crashes.

I'm not talking about adding some pads....something more radical.......I'm thinking of something along the lines of an exoskeleton.....where a joint (like a knee) can't go in the wrong direction.

Players could get their own custom suits.
    Concussions are in a class of their own because of the lingering, debilitating effects they have on brain function. You can live a long time with a limp or aches and pains.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    there are companies that have made externally cushioned helmets....but the NFL won't buy in

I overheard a discussion on this topic at a charity event last season...and one of the league reps actually said

"that would steal away the sounds of the game."

I **** you not......the sounds of the game he said

this tells me that these guys are more concerned with what the Sabol family captures than the long term heath of their players
    I remember at least 25 years ago seeing a special on TV about the new "soft" helmets.
    Maybe thats why they never took off....The "sound" of the game.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I remember at least 25 years ago seeing a special on TV about the new "soft" helmets.
    Maybe thats why they never took off....The "sound" of the game.
    I remember that special it was in black and white

I agree on the helmets. Makes no sense to me they can't design a more protective helmet.

+ Reply to Thread