+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shaky Run For Giants' Wilson

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...yxKYbjjOBFAY9H

Excerpt: "Coach Tom Coughlin said the Giants wanted to use Wilson more in Sunday’s game at Cincinnati, but the early deficit into which they fell altered that plan. The Giants are ready to use Wilson to run, noting his explosiveness and the need for big plays in a slumping offense, but they have qualms about Wilson’s ability as a receiver, and more importantly, a pass protector.

Running backs coach Jerald Ingram said the predictability in Wilson’s usage has limited his time on the field.

“We can’t just throw David in a run and have everyone in the stands say ‘Oh, watch David right now.’ Everybody can figure that out,” Ingram said. “David has to learn you can’t be just a runner. You have to be a complete running back. He’s in no different situation than when Brandon [Jacobs] was a rookie. Tiki [Barber] wasn’t going to let him on the field unless he knew how to protect the quarterback. It was all protection.”

Though Wilson has struggled to see the field on offense, the 21-year-old’s 37 kick returns and 939 yards lead the NFL. His speed is evident on each return, his potential is palpable. Wilson said he is “past due” to return a kick for a touchdown.

Although Wilson is likely to make his biggest impact on special teams this season, Ingram served a reminder that Bradshaw, a rookie who was seldom used in the first-half of 2007, became the change-of-pace runner needed to help the Giants win a title months later.

“It’s making him hungrier, just like it made Ahmad hungrier during that playoff stretch,” Ingram said. “It was a difference-maker when Ahmad was a rookie for him to come out there, especially in the second half of the season when you got a fresh guy. We’re still there. There’s a lot of football left.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Promising. Hopefully Wilson is able to take full advantage when he gets a decent opportunity.

So he's still has issues pass protecting, is what i gather from this?

thats such BS because from the 3rd quarter on the Giants HAD 0 URGRENCY and kept runinng the ball with no hurry up at all. They could have easily put him in. They turned that game into a live practice session IMO. Don't what the deal is
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thats such BS because from the 3rd quarter on the Giants HAD 0 URGRENCY and kept runinng the ball with no hurry up at all. They could have easily put him in. They turned that game into a live practice session IMO. Don't what the deal is
    Stubborn....love this quote.....“We can’t just throw David in a run and have everyone in the stands say ‘Oh, watch David right now.’ Everybody can figure that out,”

Uhhhhh....play action then

That's exactly how the Giants used Jacobs...they just stuck him in there for a run and everyone in the world knew he was getting the ball.

Maybe I'm wrong....but I can't remember any play actions with Jacobs in the game. Espcially at the goal line....everyone would just put all their guys on the line of scrimmage and that would be a perfect time to slip the TE out...at least it would have kept people more honest.

With Bradshaw likely out for some amount of time, I'm thinking that all the tests may lead to him being shut down, I think Wilson will see time as the change of pace back and Brown will be featured. I actually liked some of the names they brought in to be like the third guy if Bradshaw is out...

I hope he can get "well-rounded" enough to help us soon. Whatever we're doing isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Promising. Hopefully Wilson is able to take full advantage when he gets a decent opportunity.
    That's all it will take
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    With Bradshaw likely out for some amount of time, I'm thinking that all the tests may lead to him being shut down, I think Wilson will see time as the change of pace back and Brown will be featured. I actually liked some of the names they brought in to be like the third guy if Bradshaw is out...
    I hope it's Martinek

So another article saying Wilson sucks at blocking. surprise surprise....F Off Ingram!!!

A sliver of hope at the end of RF's post: “It’s making him hungrier, just like it made Ahmad hungrier during that playoff stretch,” Ingram said. “It was a difference-maker when Ahmad was a rookie for him to come out there, especially in the second half of the season when you got a fresh guy. We’re still there. There’s a lot of football left.”

I'm so used to being pissed off at these coaches that I can no longer give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Although I do hope this is somehow part of their 'masterplan' and will be using Wilson a lott during the late season and into the playoffs (hopefully).