+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' TE Bennett Says He Has To Do More

Giants' TE Bennett Says He Has To Do More

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...OleDpDOMW9eDaI

Excerpt: "
    Martellus Bennett is surrounded by reporters, answering question after question about the poor play of Eli Manning, with little changing but the adjectives phrased to the Giants tight end.

Bennett isn’t asked about his dropped pass or the touchdown he would have had, had he kept both feet in bounds, in Sunday’s 31-13 loss at Cincinnati. But he knows he bears responsibility for the questions that have risen about his quarterback and reminded everyone that Manning isn’t the only one under-performing.

“If he makes a throw, he’s having a tough game, you can’t drop it,” Bennett said this week. “Sometimes we have to make plays for him. It’s not just on him. It’s on everybody. It starts with me. I got to make more plays for him and do different things for him to make things easier for him. I just got to get better for him.”

The season couldn’t have started better for the first-year starter, after four seasons in Dallas. Bennett had three touchdowns and 185 yards in the first three games, but has 226 yards and no touchdowns in the past seven.

With Hakeem Nicks playing at less than 100 percent and no consistent third wide-receiver threat having emerged, tight ends coach Michael Pope said he thinks teams have made a concerted effort to limit Bennett’s impact.

“He’s not less of a target than he has been,” Pope said. “After that first month, people started playing him with much tighter coverage, battering him as he’s coming off the line of scrimmage and made his job harder. He has to play a lot harder against that type of coverage. It’s the player’s and the coaching staff’s responsibility to do whatever we can to try and continue to keep him as a weapon.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...OleDpDOMW9eDaI

Excerpt: "
    Martellus Bennett is surrounded by reporters, answering question after question about the poor play of Eli Manning, with little changing but the adjectives phrased to the Giants tight end.

Bennett isn’t asked about his dropped pass or the touchdown he would have had, had he kept both feet in bounds, in Sunday’s 31-13 loss at Cincinnati. But he knows he bears responsibility for the questions that have risen about his quarterback and reminded everyone that Manning isn’t the only one under-performing.

“If he makes a throw, he’s having a tough game, you can’t drop it,” Bennett said this week. “Sometimes we have to make plays for him. It’s not just on him. It’s on everybody. It starts with me. I got to make more plays for him and do different things for him to make things easier for him. I just got to get better for him.”

The season couldn’t have started better for the first-year starter, after four seasons in Dallas. Bennett had three touchdowns and 185 yards in the first three games, but has 226 yards and no touchdowns in the past seven.

With Hakeem Nicks playing at less than 100 percent and no consistent third wide-receiver threat having emerged, tight ends coach Michael Pope said he thinks teams have made a concerted effort to limit Bennett’s impact.

“He’s not less of a target than he has been,” Pope said. “After that first month, people started playing him with much tighter coverage, battering him as he’s coming off the line of scrimmage and made his job harder. He has to play a lot harder against that type of coverage. It’s the player’s and the coaching staff’s responsibility to do whatever we can to try and continue to keep him as a weapon.” Read more...
    The WR's should be taking advantage of the attention Bennett gets but they dont

Nice to see Bennett owning up to his mistakes. He's already becoming a true Giant in his short time here...

All-Pro
    I like this guy but I still think he lacks focus. I think its an actually issue for him.
    Cool that he recognizes his short comings though
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

We need him to pick it up, too many drops in the Bengals game!

The entire passing game sucks
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Bennett is not a big time te. Yet I believe he is more of a traditional te though so the Giants should use him as that. How they should use him? Well he should block more than he catches then come off of some of those blocks. This should get him open more. The backs need to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Bennett is not a big time te. Yet I believe he is more of a traditional te though so the Giants should use him as that. How they should use him? Well he should block more than he catches then come off of some of those blocks. This should get him open more. The backs need to do the same thing.
    You want the backs running as many routes as the tight end?

# 80

I appreciate Bennett's comments. Eli has been playing poorly but the receivers haven't been helping him either whether it's getting open or when he does throw u a good pass u catch it.

It's going to be difficult for him to do more with a bum knee and a anemic offense.

+ Reply to Thread