+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Y.A. Tittle

hey , you love the guy....thus the avatar.

i can respect that.

and i'm not gonna change my mind ,

so i'll just STFU and let you be.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    hey , you love the guy....thus the avatar.

i can respect that.

and i'm not gonna change my mind ,

so i'll just STFU and let you be.
    I respect your opinion my man

but if you saw the man play you would understand my stance more I assure you

my love for the player is not strictly romantic nostalgia .......I love him because he was one hell of a QB who brought an electric excitement into this city for years

when YA was in the game you always felt like you had a chance to win

very similar to Eli today

i can honestly say that Simms is the only Giants QB i ever saw play live.
    and it was actually in the Astrodome....he ripped them a new ice-hole.
    also 11 is the only signed jersey in my collection.
    i could very well be biased in my assessments.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    I respect your opinion my man

but if you saw the man play you would understand my stance more I assure you

my love for the player is not strictly romantic nostalgia .......I love him because he was one hell of a QB who brought an electric excitement into this city for years

when YA was in the game you always felt like you had a chance to win

very similar to Eli today
    He broke the touchdown passing record one season if I remember right! Also the pass receivers could be hit and blocked until the ball was in the air. I wonder how many QB's today would have half the numbers with those rules?
    Giants fan since '58

Banned
    All that said and done, I'm not sure today's game has better entertainment value than YA's era. The frequency and severity of today's injuries--the trend will kill the game. It's simple physics. Velocity x mass = force. Today a 250# guy can run like a sprinter. The collision impact is producing concussions at an alarming rate. It will be like watching movies without stars. Personally I question how far you can go with rules to protect players, Given that I don't see players giving up speed, and it doesn't look like they have equipment solutions, but conceivably you could introduce weight limits. Sound crazy. Go watch a Bud Wilkinson Oklahoma line block. They averaged about 185 pounds. Go watch any 330 pound NFL team block today. Compared to Wilkinson's teams, todays players just kind of get in each other's way.

Banned
    Hey Stormblue... How did that all work? Was that when Don Heinrich, the #3 QB would play the first guarter and Chuckin Charlie or YA would play the rest of the game. But you are absolutely right. YA Tittle going vertical to Del Shofner was a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerNYG View Post
    I'm curious to know where does poor Kerry Collins rank amongst Giants QB's? I mean the man did somewhat help pull us up from the depths of mediocrity. I'll remember that 41-0 beatdown of the Vikes forever. Lots of good memories with those Giants... some heartbreakers too but that comes with the territory.
    I agree with YA's assessment that YA, Eli, and Phil were 3 very great QB's, and why bother comparing or setting a rank.
    Beyond them you must put Charlie Conerly as a close 2nd to those 3.
    Then, I think you'd have to put Tarkenton...
    Then, Collins.
    So, I have Collins rated 6th

As far as Simms mobility... no question he was the fastest and most mobile between he, YA, and Eli... but he was a statue in the pocket and rarely looked to run. YA was actually surprisingly mobile in vid clips I've seen of him palying with the 49ers in his early years.

Quote Originally Posted by cva14 View Post
    Hey Stormblue... How did that all work? Was that when Don Heinrich, the #3 QB would play the first guarter and Chuckin Charlie or YA would play the rest of the game. But you are absolutely right. YA Tittle going vertical to Del Shofner was a thing of beauty.
    Heinrich was never a teammate of YA

and yeah for some reason Jim Lee Howell loved for Heinrich to start the game then put Charlie in ......not sure anyone ever understood why.... including the players and other coaches

during Tittles first season with the Giants Conerly would often come in if YA was struggling

and yes YA to Shofner was quite a sight

+ Reply to Thread