+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Y.A. Tittle

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I don't even think Y.A Tittle (the poster on here) would agree with that assessment.
    I would say Eli and YA were the 2 best Giant QBs....throw Simms in the mix as well of course

all tough SOBs

all great arms

but YA called all of his own plays and the velocity on his ball was something I had not seen from any QB after him until I saw Dan Fouts and John Elway

I swear when YA threw that ball you could almost hear it whistling past you

Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    YA only played here for 3 years.his career was SF49ers for 10 years.

that's like calling Joe Montana the greatest KC Chief QB of all time.
    did Joe Montana bring the Chiefs to 3 straight Superbowls.......nope

YA had this team in 3 straight Championships and is absolutely in the argument as not only one of the best NY Giant QBs.....but one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen

he was completing over 60% of his passes and throwing for over 3000 yds and 30 plus TDs in the days when you could mug receivers

also in 14 game seasons
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 11-17-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    I dont think football is dietary issue........Butkus was and still would be the best MLBer........Jim Brown the best RB........and on and on
    You probably never saw those "stiffs" play

Could the present day Heat beat the 68 Knicks??? NO way......not even close
    I think the only way to compare different players from different eras is to compare each player to their respective level of competition.

For example, Babe Ruth had more home runs by himself than entire teams. If a player with his talent was put into the big leagues today, and had the benefit of modern equipment and training, he'd still be awesome.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

its not my point......you think because track and field and swiming records fall that team sports also improve

quite the contrary.........the league had many less teams by half back in Jim Browns day...and the NBA in Walt Fraziers day.....the talent today is in fact diluted.

Great athletes "The Elite" come into this world every so often..........nothing to do with 5 hour energy drinks and Nautilis machines. Going back 20 years Magic, Bird and Michael Jordan dominated the NBA then........they would dominate it now

I feel sorry for any young NFL fans who did not get to see Jim Brown and **** Butkus play.......remember these guys did not even lift weights........they were naturaly god given superior.....place them now in their prime and they would annihilate the NFL. Those guys never even got hurt.....never sat out a game. Today's over musculed, barbell bred primadonna's get hurt putting on their shoes.

Their has been much discussion of late as to why modern athletes are always in the hospital and training rooms........the un-natural strength programs are likely the cause

Lawrence Taylor never lifted a barbell.......nor did Homer Jones or Bob Hayes. Jack Stroud is universally regarded as he strongest Giants player ever. I met the guy as a young waiter......he had so much muscule on his back he looked like a side of beef
    Last edited by BParcells777; 11-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    did Joe Montana bring the Chiefs to 3 straight Superbowls.......nope

YA had this team in 3 straight Championships and is absolutely in the argument as not only one of the best NY Giant QBs.....but one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen

he was completing over 60% of his passes and throwing for over 3000 yds and 30 plus TDs in the days when you could mug receivers

also in 14 game seasons
    you got to see him play correct? how wouldyou compare him to ELi and Simms..if you had to?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    its not my point......you think because track and field and swiming records fall that team sports also improve

quite the contrary.........the league had many less teams by half back in Jim Browns day...and the NBA in Walt Fraziers day.....the talent today is in fact diluted.

Great athletes "The Elite" come into this world every so often..........nothing to do with 5 hour energy drinks and Nautilis machines. Going back 20 years Magic, Bird and Michael Jordan dominated the NBA then........they would dominate it now

I feel sorry for any young NFL fans who did not get to see Jim Brown and **** Butkus play.......remember these guys did not even lift weights........they were naturaly god given superior.....place them now in their prime and they would annihilate the NFL. Those guys never even got hurt.....never sat out a game. Today's over musculed, barbell bred primadonna's get hurt putting on their shoes.

Their has been much discussion of late as to why modern athletes are always in the hospital and training rooms........the un-natural strength programs are likely the cause

Lawrence Taylor never lifted a barbell.......nor did Homer Jones or Bob Hayes. Jack Stroud is universally regarded as he strongest Giants player ever. I met the guy as a young waiter......he had so much muscule on his back he looked like a side of beef
    I hear you and I can actually agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by alentown pa View Post
    you got to see him play correct? how wouldyou compare him to ELi and Simms..if you had to?
    correct......and many many times

all three are very different ....but have some similarities

all 3 share great arms, great poise, a nice ability to read defenses, and my favorite quality..... standing tall in the pocket until the very last second to get th throw off

YA was very mobile as a 49er....but by the time he got to the Giants he was pretty statuesque

Simms would probably be the most mobile of the 3 as Giants....which isn't saying a whole lot....

it's really hard to compare them as players as far as the whole.."who was better"...argument

different styles of offenses in different eras

but as far as a pure arm standing still with no one rushing the passer...I would have to go YA

everything else is subjective

Eli will own the numbers....but all 3 were/are fantastic players

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I don't even think Y.A Tittle (the poster on here) would agree with that assessment.
    Except you'd be wrong lol

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    correct......and many many times

all three are very different ....but have some similarities

all 3 share great arms, great poise, a nice ability to read defenses, and my favorite quality..... standing tall in the pocket until the very last second to get th throw off

YA was very mobile as a 49er....but by the time he got to the Giants he was pretty statuesque

Simms would probably be the most mobile of the 3 as Giants....which isn't saying a whole lot....

it's really hard to compare them as players as far as the whole.."who was better"...argument

different styles of offenses in different eras

but as far as a pure arm standing still with no one rushing the passer...I would have to go YA

everything else is subjective

Eli will own the numbers....but all 3 were/are fantastic players
    good stuff..lol about simms being the most mobile, he prbly was...I wish I could have seen YA play..from what ive seen Eli is the best.

Banned
    I'm curious to know where does poor Kerry Collins rank amongst Giants QB's? I mean the man did somewhat help pull us up from the depths of mediocrity. I'll remember that 41-0 beatdown of the Vikes forever. Lots of good memories with those Giants... some heartbreakers too but that comes with the territory.