+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Monday, November 19, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Chris Snee expects a "(ticked) off" Packers'Team Sunday Night

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "
    Chris Snee expects a (ticked) off Packers team to take the field against the Giants Sunday night. The Giants, after all, were the ones to ruin what was supposed to be a Super Bowl run after a 15-1 regular season. Instead, Green Bay was knocked out of the postseason in the divisional round at Lambeau Field.

"Anytime you get knocked out, I mean whenever we get knocked out, I am not happy," he said. "You remember that from the previous years so that's why."

Then there's the idea, at least according to Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, that the Packers lost the game more than the Giants won it.

"Talk is talk, if they want to fire some comments over here, that's fine," Snee said.The guard later added, with a smirk, "Maybe we got lucky."
    Justin Tuck Says Giants Can Be "The Best Team In The League"...

Excerpt: "The Giants returned to work today after their bye week ready to begin a difficult final six-game stretch of their season. Coming off back-to-back losses hasn't affected the confidence of the defending Super Bowl champions, defensive captain Justin Tuck said.

"I think everybody on this team feels that we can be the best team in the league when we’re playing our style of football," Tuck said. "It’s just unfortunate that we haven’t played our style of football the last couple of weeks. We have to find a way to get back to playing that, because it’s going to be needed leading up to these next weeks."

The Giants play the Packers this week, the start of a difficult final slate that includes the Redskins, Saints, Falcons, Ravens and Eagles.

The Giants are 6-4 and still atop the NFC East, though the Cowboys closed the gap to one game with a win against the Browns yesterday. After rattling off four straight wins, the Giants dropped consecutive games against the Steelers and the Browns, but Tuck disagreed that the team lost confidence.

"Not confidence, just maybe a little focus. We lost a little focus," he said, adding: "I think we’ve always been very confident. Sometimes maybe too confident; borderline ****y a little bit. But our confidence will never be -- I don’t think it will ever waver on this team." Read more...

Giants' Kenny Philips Hopes To Play Against Packers

Excerpt: "Safety Kenny Phillips returned to the practice field today and hopes to be ready for this Sunday's game against the Packers. Phillips has been sidelined since spraining his MCL in Week 4 against the Eagles.

Phillips said he felt "pretty good" doing a moderated workload, which included position drills and some running on his own. He expects to do the same tomorrow and then try to practice Wednesday.

Phillips also said three days before the Steelers game he expected to play that weekend, but this time, Phillips said his knee feels "a whole lot better."

"I felt good about Pittsburgh," Phillips said with a laugh, "but I feel better about this week. I didn’t practice yet, but I still feel pretty good."

Phillips said when the injury first happened, he was given a 4 to 6 week time frame to return, and he thought there was no chance he'd be out that long. But as the weeks went by, he was unable to return. He practiced the week of the Steelers game, but right before the game, he said he realized he would hurt the team more than helping if he played.

He had another MRI, which showed that the knee was healing fine, but that he needed a different rehab regimen: rest. The Giants shelved him for the Bengals game and through the bye." Read more...

Justin Tuck Says Giants Can Be "The Best Team In The League"...

Excerpt: "The Giants returned to work today after their bye week ready to begin a difficult final six-game stretch of their season. Coming off back-to-back losses hasn't affected the confidence of the defending Super Bowl champions, defensive captain Justin Tuck said.

"I think everybody on this team feels that we can be the best team in the league when we’re playing our style of football," Tuck said. "It’s just unfortunate that we haven’t played our style of football the last couple of weeks. We have to find a way to get back to playing that, because it’s going to be needed leading up to these next weeks."

The Giants play the Packers this week, the start of a difficult final slate that includes the Redskins, Saints, Falcons, Ravens and Eagles.

The Giants are 6-4 and still atop the NFC East, though the Cowboys closed the gap to one game with a win against the Browns yesterday. After rattling off four straight wins, the Giants dropped consecutive games against the Steelers and the Browns, but Tuck disagreed that the team lost confidence.

"Not confidence, just maybe a little focus. We lost a little focus," he said, adding: "I think we’ve always been very confident. Sometimes maybe too confident; borderline ****y a little bit. But our confidence will never be -- I don’t think it will ever waver on this team." Read more...

##

Giants' Keith Rivers Held Out After Bye Week Car Accident

Excerpt: "Giants linebacker Keith Rivers was not at practice today after being involved in a car accident during the bye week in his native California, coach Tom Coughlin said.

Rivers is back in New Jersey, and the Giants sent him to be examined by the team doctors today." Read more...

Eli Manning Says His Arm Has "A Little More Pop" After BYE Week

\http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "There was some extra "pop" in his throwing arm today, but Eli Manning insisted that it's the expected product of having almost a week off and not that he had a tired arm prior to the bye as the Giants offense morphed from juggernaut to anemic over the course of a month."I didn't think there was anything to it,"

Manning said today of the speculation that his arm was tired. "I still, in practices, thought I was throwing the ball well. I felt no fatigue. Obviously, sometimes during the course of the season you may not realize it, but today (my) arm felt good. (I) threw some deep ones and didn’t have to struggle to get it out there. It was just coming out well."

Speculation became rampant that Manning's arm was fatigued as he registered four straight games with passer ratings below 80. He hasn't thrown a touchdown since Week 7 against Washington when he hit Victor Cruz for the game-winning 77-yard touchdown pass. Since then he has four interceptions without a score.

Manning spent his bye week like he said he would last week: away from football as much as possible. The quarterback went down to Mississippi to spend time with his family, including his wife and children who left New Jersey two weeks ago after Sandy." Read more...

Giants' Kenny Phillips Returns To Practice, Hixon, Williams Held Out

Excerpt: "The Giants, minus three players, were back on the practice field this morning following their bye week.Wide receiver Domenik Hixon (ankle) and linebacker Jacquian Williams (knee) were out with the team, but were not practicing during the portion open to the media.

Hixon, who sprained his ankle against the Bengals last week, was on a bike for a few minutes before walking over to watch teammates practice. Williams did some running on the side with a trainer. The second-year linebacker has not played since injuring his PCL against the 49ers in Week 6. Last Monday, he said he hoped to return to practice this week.

The lone absence -- at least while the media was out there -- was Keith Rivers. The linebacker was inactive against the Bengals due to a calf injury and has played in just five games this season and injured his calf against the Cowboys in Week 8.

Besides those three, the rest of the team was participating in some capacity. That includes safety Kenny Phillips (knee), running back Ahmad Bradshaw (foot) and wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot)." Read more...

Giants Defense Aims To Cut Down On Big Plays Allowed

Excerpt: "When Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell talks about the breakdowns that frustrate him, he is not short on examples.

The most recent: A.J. Green’s 56-yard touchdown catch that set the tone for the Giants’ 31-13 loss at Cincinnati last Sunday. Fewell had a call that could have stopped the play, just the Bengals’ fifth from scrimmage that afternoon.

But safety Stevie Brown, assigned to play over the top, saw No. 2 receiver Brandon Tate block and bit on the run fake, letting his coverage responsibility go. Cornerback Corey Webster released Green like he was assigned to do, but Fewell was disappointed the veteran did not react to Brown being out of position and continue with Green rather than pulling up and being a bystander as the wide-open receiver made the catch.

“Two mistakes on one play,” Fewell said.

And too many of such mistakes so far this season. Big plays have been an Achilles’ heel for the Giants defense. Entering their Week 11 bye, the Giants had given up 39 pass plays of 20 yards or more, third-most in the league, and eight pass plays of 40 yards or more, tied for second-most in the league." Read more...

Cowboys Edge Browns, 23 - 20, In Overtime; Now One Game Behind Giants In NFC East

Excerpt: "The Giants' lead in the NFC East is down to one game.

Idle this week, the Giants were almost the beneficiaries of an upset in Dallas as the Browns jumped out to an 13-0 lead against the Cowboys and held a 20-17 advantage with 1:07 remaining, but couldn't hold on." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Practice Notes: Not Quite Perfect Attendance In First Post-Bye Practice

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...t-bye-practice

Excerpt: "The good news: Ahmad Bradshaw and Hakeem Nicks were on the field.

The bad news? Several Giants were not.

In the Giants' first practice after the bye, a handful of players were still missing in action. Linebacker Keith Rivers (calf) was nowhere to be found, a strange absence for a guy who seemed on the verge of playing against his old team, the CIncinnati Bengals, two weeks ago. Meanwhile, LB Jacquian Williams (knee) still was not practicing with the team, doing drills by himself." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST

Williams, Rivers Not Back Yet After Giants; BYE

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...X7eSbdCu5uTmeI

Excerpt: "The bye week usually helps those with aches and pains heal up but it is not a cure-all, as evidenced by a few Giants players still sitting out on Monday as the team re-assembled for practice for the first time in a week.
    Linebacker Jacquian Williams has missed the past four games dealing with a knee injury and he was not participating in the early stages of practice. It was never a sure-thing that Williams would be able to return for Sunday’s game against the Packers and the likelihood is he will miss another game." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS.COM

Hakeem Nicks Feeling Good After BYE Week

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...0-14695f865307

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks
    has been bothered by foot and knee injuries much of the season and has not scored a touchdown since Sept. 16 vs. Tampa Bay. He rested during the bye week and said he feels better than he has at any point during the season.

“I’m feeling good and ready to get after it,” Nicks said. “My bursting wasn’t there the way I felt like it should have been due to some injuries, but I’m feeling pretty good now and that time off helped me get my body right and most of all my mind right for this stretch and I’m just ready to get it going.”

Nicks said he is focusing on gaining more yardage after catching the ball.

“When I self-scout for myself, I feel like I need to start doing that some more,” he said. “I think maybe earlier in the season, it hindered me a little bit because I couldn’t really catch and burst right away due to the knee and the foot or just not trusting it to make a solid plant on it at full speed. I think this time off and with this schedule we have I’m ready to get after it.”
    Read more...

Giants Get Ready For Final Stretch

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...e-dd11168cd7fb

Excerpt: "A year ago, the Giants’ mantra was “finish.” They wanted to finish drives, games and the season as well as possible, a goal they ultimately realized when they won Super Bowl XLVI.

This might be a good time to resurrect that refrain. The Giants today returned to work looking forward to a final six-game stretch that got much more difficult while they rested on their bye.

While they spent a weekend without a game to play, the 6-4 Giants saw their lead in the NFC East cut to a single game when Dallas rallied from a 13-0 deficit to defeat Cleveland in overtime. The Cowboys improved to 5-5 and could move within a half-game of the Giants when they host Washington on Thursday.

The Giants return to action Sunday night at home against the Green Bay Packers, who yesterday won their fifth consecutive game, 24-20, in Detroit. Indeed, each of the Giants’ next five opponents celebrated victories on Sunday – Green Bay, Washington, New Orleans, Atlanta and Baltimore. Those teams are a combined 33-17 (.660). The Giants will end their season at home against Philadelphia, which is currently 3-7 but has defeated the Giants in eight of their last nine meetings.

“It’s about how you finish,” wide receiver Hakeem Nicks said. “We put emphasis on that. Finish the deal and we’ve just got to finish.”

No team has a more difficult final six weeks than the Giants, who look forward to meeting that challenge head on.

“That’s what it’s all about,” coach Tom Coughlin said today. “You’ve got it to this point. It’s certainly in our hands, in our own control. We have a one-game lead in the division. We play some very good football teams down the stretch here, but that’s what it is. It’s a stretch. We’re excited about that part of it. We look forward to it; one game at a time.”
    Read more...

Giants' Eli Manning Looks Sharp In Practice

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...9-66c2c0561528

"Before the bye, Eli Manning denied rumors that his arm was tired. Today, he was among a chorus of Giants who said he threw the ball well.

“Usually after the bye, you kind of have a little more pep in your step and the arm is a little bit more live,” Manning said.

“He’s good,” Cruz said. “He looked sharp. We were out there completing the football. We were on the same page; everybody was running good routes, lots of positive things. I’m excited to go out there on Sunday and put it on the field.”

In response to a question, Coughlin also said Manning was “sharp.”

Manning said he was not annoyed about media reports that said his arm was tired.

“I didn’t think there was anything to it,” Manning said. “In practices, I thought I was throwing the ball well. I felt no fatigue. Obviously, sometimes during the course of the season you may not realize it. But today the arm felt good. I threw some deep ones and didn’t have to struggle to get it out there. It was just coming out well.”

*The New York Giants and New York Cares will host their fifteenth annual Coat Drive this Sunday. Giants Fans are encouraged to donate their gently worn coats by bringing them to either of the Fed Ex trucks parked in front of the MetLife and Verizon Gates prior to the game, or to New York Cares volunteers who will be at every entrance gate. New York Cares is a non-profit organization that helps warm thousands of men, women and children by providing winter coats to homeless shelters, community organizations, centers for battered women, and agencies serving senior citizens across the metropolitan area. Donations are more appreciated than ever before."

GIANTS 101

Giants' Rueben Randle Still Adjusting To Complex Offensive System

http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/18/...ensive-system/

Excerpt: "It's no real secret that offensive rookies frequently struggle to adapt to theNew York Giants' offensive system, and that often stems from the simplicity they're used to in college. It has been the case with not only rookie running back David Wilson, but also wide receiver Rueben Randle. And slightly beyond the mid-way point of his first season with Big Blue, Randle admits that he's still learning and adjusting to what is an extremely intricate system.

"Adjustment-wise, [things are very] complex, especially in this offense," Randle told Giants.com. "I was used to a lot of simplified things [in college], just having a little route and maybe convert it to something else. But here you have three or four routes on one play. So I’m just adjusting to that, getting my mind focused on a lot of different things." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

SITE LINK

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE

ESPN

Giants Ready To Welcome Phillips Back

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-phillips-back

Excerpt: "At times, Kenny Phillips can be the comic book superhero. Just as easily, he can be the sidekick.

Just ask Giants safeties coach David Merritt.

"You don't have to have all Batmans. You got to have some Robins. And the thing about Kenny is he's one of those guys that he can be a Batman, but at the same time, Kenny's a very good Robin," Merritt said last Monday. "That guy who doesn't have to be in the media all the time.

"He's a tremendous talent we do miss."

The Giants are hoping to have their strong safety back after the bye as they embark on their final six games of the regular season. Phillips has missed the team's last six games with a MCL sprain he suffered against the Eagles. During his absence, the team has received strong play from backup Stevie Brown.

"We miss Kenny, because (he's) a guy that has played well for us and he has been consistent for us over the years," Merritt said. "To be able to find out about Stevie Brown with these past five or six games, that has been a breath of fresh air."

Phillips suffered his injury against the Eagles on Sept. 30, but it appeared he would be able to return before the team's bye. He practiced all week leading up to the game against Pittsburgh on Nov. 4, even saying he would be playing, but instead was inactive. The team held him out of the following weekend's loss to Cincinnati, as he wasn't ready to play yet.

While Brown has played well filling in, not having Phillips has affected the team in how it has matched up against tight ends. Cowboys tight end Jason Witten had 18 catches for 167 yards against the Giants on Oct. 28. Cincinnati's Jermaine Gresham caught a touchdown." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

NFC East Spin Cycle: Cowboys, Redskins Win To Set Up Thanksgiving Showdown

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-win-to-set-up

Excerpt: "While the Giants rested on bye, the Cowboys and Redskins — the only two other East teams with a remote chance of catching them — both won. It sets up an interesting Thanksgiving Day battle of Robert Griffin III and the Redskins at Dallas against the shaky Cowboys, who finally are back to .500." Read more...

Giants Hope Phillips' Return Can Stop Bleeding

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-stop-bleeding

Excerpt: "It’s not that the Giants haven’t appreciated everything Stevie Brown has done inKenny Phillips’ absence. It’s just that the defense hasn’t been right without Phillips.

He’s expected to return to the lineup after the bye in Week 12, and the Giants believe having him on the field the final six games of the season could be exactly what their struggling defense needs. Plus, given the success the Giants have had previously with Phillips, Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant on the field, there’s no reason to think the Giants’ “Big Nickel” package can’t be revived in a new form with Grant gone and Brown taking his place." Read more...

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Andy Reid: I Was Trying To Win The Game When McCoy Got Hurt

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/18/andy-reid-i-was-trying-to-win-game-when-mccoy-got-hurt/related/

Eagles' Players Sensing The End For Andy Reid

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...d/Default.aspx
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-19-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

well here we go. Back to getting ready for a game. These guys better get their **** together. Its a 6 game season and they need to win 4.
    Gonna be a tough 6 weeks.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    well here we go. Back to getting ready for a game. These guys better get their **** together. Its a 6 game season and they need to win 4.
    We will prevail!! Bank on it, Buckaroo
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We will prevail!! Bank on it, Buckaroo
    ok Mr. Optimistic....
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

ok Mr. Optimistic....
    There is enough negativity here, I'm just tired of it all, I do think we will beat the Packers though

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    There is enough negativity here, I'm just tired of it all, I do think we will beat the Packers though
    While I have added to that negativity here and there I always have hope. The only team I see as a def loss is the Saints. Seems like they do everything so fast on offense that the Giants heads are just spinning.....
    What the Giants "can do" and what they "will do" is up for grabs right now...

While I have added to that negativity here and there I always have hope. The only team I see as a def loss is the Saints. Seems like they do everything so fast on offense that the Giants heads are just spinning.....
    No argument there, but with Phillips back I am hoping the secondary can tighten things up a little and give the Used To Be Fearsome Foursome some extra time to get to Rogers

AND, we have a pretty good turnoveer ratio that may work to our advantage against Brees
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Not playing in the dome should help.

I don't see us losing to the Saints, not at home. Things will tighten up, starting sunday nite. We should beat Green Bay, will be a tight game, with Eli more than likely doing it in the 4th quarter again.

This bye came at the right time. These next 6 games should be a repeat of last year's 4.
    I miss Red Hook!

No better matchup than the Packers for sure. We've been in so many of these before and I think we can pull a "W" this weekend.
    Sportswrath.com for football talk and giants talk