+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: your're favorite non superbowl/championship giants season?

its gotta be 1981
    we only went 9-7 but we beat Dallas at home in overtime the very last game of the season to win a wild card berth.
    then beat the freakin' Eagles in the wild card game. then SF knocked us out.

but that was the first sniff of the post-season in 18 years.......it was soooo nice after being bottom feeders for 2 decades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mbY3IHqrs
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Although I hated how it ended.
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I can't ignore the pummelling we took in the Super Bowl and I'm not a Fassel fan so I'll pass on that one. My choice would be 1985 because we could feel that we were on the brink of something big. That was the year that my wife uttered a classic line which I'll share here. We are in Chicago for a playoff game with the wind blowing a gale and our punter Sean Landeta totally whiffs on a punt. Not a shank mind you but a whiff, something I had never seen before nor since. My wife, not a huge sports fan, turns to me and says "that doesn't happen often does it?"
    Agree, jomo. That game against Chicago hurt because we knew we were becoming contenders. Between the Landeta whiff, and Rob Carpenter's unforced fumble on what would have been a big gain into Bears territory, we messed it up.
    But, we finished that last game in '85 and I absolutely knew that '86 was gonna be our year. The biggest bummer about '86 for me was that Carpenter wasn't on the team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    its gotta be 1981
    we only went 9-7 but we beat Dallas at home in overtime the very last game of the season to win a wild card berth.
    then beat the freakin' Eagles in the wild card game. then SF knocked us out.

but that was the first sniff of the post-season in 18 years.......it was soooo nice after being bottom feeders for 2 decades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mbY3IHqrs
    Completely agree. 1981 was a turning point in the fate of our beloved team.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alentown pa View Post
    mine was the 1997 season..Fassel's first year, picked last by everyone we went 10-5-1 and should have beat Minnesota in the playoffs...Loved Charles Way, Armstead had a big year and we won with Danny Kannel at quarterback.
    2000 SB year
    Yeah....we lost the SB but at least we looked damned good getting there! I can remember John Madden's comment (when we were embarrassing the Vikings) like it was yesterday........

Madden:"THE VIKINGS LOOK LIKE THEY DON'T WANT ANY PART OF THIS!"

Another team I liked was the 89 team, the flipper year and the worst PI call of all time imo...IMO the 89 was better than the 90 team, thought OJ was great that year, Simms was great...the 88 season and the 89 season is where I learned as a kid to hate the eagles, they like now always got the best of us then.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I understand that the 81 team was a turning point but why did they struggle so much in 82 and 83? 1984 was the really the start of it imo...I was too young at the time to watch them in 82 and 83, why didnt they build of the 81 season, injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by alentown pa View Post
    I understand that the 81 team was a turning point but why did they struggle so much in 82 and 83? 1984 was the really the start of it imo...I was too young at the time to watch them in 82 and 83, why didnt they build of the 81 season, injuries?
    82 was a strike season. There were only 9 games and we lost in a tie breaker to make the playoffs. 83 was a nightmare with Parcells first year. Really it was Parcells horrific decision to start Brunner out of fear of change. Phil outplayed Brunner in the pre season by a mile. Then when he finally put Phil in vs.Philly, Phil got his finger caught in Carl Hairstons facemask on a follow through, dislocated it and was out for the season. But in 84 we made the playoffs and beat the Rams in a playoff game. Phil threw for 4000 yards with no WR's. 85 we were a great team that lost a bunch of close games (still learning to win) In 86 we took essentially the same team as 85 to 14-2 and total domination of the league.
    But it was 81 that broke the ice. 81 was LT's first year. Its when we broke the long nightmare of no playoffs.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 11-20-2012 at 07:04 PM.

I misunderstood the question....i thought it was specifically ABOUT the year we went to the SB but didn't win it.
    Now that I understand the question...I have to agree 1000% with 1981.
    All my favorite Giants were just beginning what would become their amazing careers man...how could it not be!
    As we all sat in our living rooms on Sundays in 1981.... eating our pasta, chips, beer, whatever your sunday football meal was...we were about to be taken on a hell of a ride through that decade and we didn't even know it!
    Man...what I wouldn't give to be able to snap my fingers, and be back there on one of those Sundays... for just an hour....!!!
    Last edited by bigblue58; 11-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.

82 was a strike season. There were only 9 games and we lost in a tie breaker to make the playoffs. 83 was a nightmare with Parcells first year. Really it was Parcells horrific decision to start Brunner out of fear of change. Phil outplayed Brunner in the pre season by a mile. Then when he finally put Phil in vs.Philly, Phil got his finger caught in Carl Hairstons facemask on a follow throw, dislocated it and was out for the season. But in 84 we made the playoffs and beat the Rams in a playoff game. Phil threw for 4000 yards with no WR's. 85 we were a great team that lost a bunch of close games (still learning to win) In 86 we took essentially the same team as 85 to 14-2 and total domination of the league.
    But it was 81 that broke the ice. 81 was LT's first year. Its when we broke the long nightmare of no playoffs.
    For Giants fans my age who never saw a Giants playoff game, it was special.

+ Reply to Thread