+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let KP walk

Veteran

Let KP walk

No i don't hate Kenny Phillips - no i am not freaking out or panicking like a lot of people on the boards. This is about long term .Kenny will want a modest but nice contract and with Brown and hill showing promise as young underpaid backups. I don't see the reason for paying a vet who covers the deep end nicely but who does little to NO ballhawking at all (8 picks in entire career) adn has a degenerative knee issue.

The giants are giving up deep balls at an alarming rate and hopefully kenny coming back can help out but Brown has also shown great ball skills. Hill has been an asset on specials and in the slot and one day may take over for Rolle. Rolle and Brown are gamblers and will give up a deep ball but will also cause turnovers - while kenny is safer and helps the front side get to the Qb he rarely makes big plays and his knee is a long term issue.

Again - I realize Kenny has value - if anything I'd offer a small contract with incentives but not a big long term deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    No i don't hate Kenny Phillips - no i am not freaking out or panicking like a lot of people on the boards. This is about long term .Kenny will want a modest but nice contract and with Brown and hill showing promise as young underpaid backups. I don't see the reason for paying a vet who covers the deep end nicely but who does little to NO ballhawking at all (8 picks in entire career) adn has a degenerative knee issue.

The giants are giving up deep balls at an alarming rate and hopefully kenny coming back can help out but Brown has also shown great ball skills. Hill has been an asset on specials and in the slot and one day may take over for Rolle. Rolle and Brown are gamblers and will give up a deep ball but will also cause turnovers - while kenny is safer and helps the front side get to the Qb he rarely makes big plays and his knee is a long term issue.

Again - I realize Kenny has value - if anything I'd offer a small contract with incentives but not a big long term deal at all.
    I hear you and agree that these are the types of decisions JR needs to have an open mind on. We need to fill our roster and have limited funds to do that. Everything has to be on the table. Like you, I like KP alot.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I can see KP walking, with the production we are getting from Stevie Brown. The mistakes he is making are mental mistakes which will correct in time. His ball hawk skills are crazy good though. I could see Rolle and Brown starting next year to save this team money. Now only if Rolle and Webster would take a paycut..

Veteran
    JOMO these are just the types of decisions he has made in the past as you said. Mario is a nice receiver but not worth 7 mill. KP is a nice player but they will put a price on him too and with a degenerative knee issue and nice backups who have been good starters i cant see it being high. In my opinion the only no brainers are jpp, nicks and cruz - some would even argue with those - but to me they are the three who can almost write their contracts.

I think if HIll can show he belongs rolle to may soon be on the hotseat. Rolle is a very good playmaker and tackler but will get beat on bad angles. no player is perfect but at that price he may be in a little trouble too. Canty has been a nice DT but his price is also very high - but are there players to replace him? Probably not yet - austin hasnt flashed - kuhn is done - and bernard is old - its really just the linval show.

No doubt wilson is here to replace ab and will very soon.

Let him walk into the field of play . There is where we need him right now. Next year ? I'm not that far ahead at this moment bro.

Veteran
    Agreed G-men - right now is the most important thing. I think KP can help on the back end and we will need him in center field against Packers. And to cover Jermichael. Just some food for thought though.

It depends on how much he is looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    Agreed G-men - right now is the most important thing. I think KP can help on the back end and we will need him in center field against Packers. And to cover Jermichael. Just some food for thought though.
    He can be a difference maker on this D bro or just the glue that keeps it all together. That been said don't be surprise if Reese works his magic making him an offer he can refuses. We all thought Kiwi was a goner after last year and he might turn out to be an important piece in the future with Osi playing out his extention and Tuck's contract coming to an end. Again I'm not worried at the moment about Phillips hitting FA at this momemt but don't be surprise if he sticks.

Veteran
    He can sure up the backend for sure - but a degenerative knee issue and a lack of ball hawking keeps his value down. Kiwi is still young and the contract wasnt that surprising in that he was injured (neck) and no one was sure of his return. Usually guys like that do re-sign with their own team cause they have the best knowledge of their injury. And as you said tuck and osi are getting older and it seems clear osi is gone after this year. KP on the other hand has backups who have shown their worth and who are younger.

Again i'd like him to come back for the last 6 games and get a hold of the secondary and help keep the big plays from happening.

I think KP may walk next year as he is a free agent. Some other team will offer a lot more than we will be willing to pay. But for now, I'd rather we do a 3 safety set, keep KP to defend against the deep ball and let Stevie do what he does best...