+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baas is back

Baas is back

Center David Baas is back at practice with the Giants after missing the last three games with a neck injury that led to intense headaches. Whether he’s back in the starting lineup, though, remains to be seen.

Baas has recovered enough that he joined the Giants at their light practice on Tuesday and is practicing on Wednesday afternoon. But when Tom Coughlin was asked if he would get his old starting job back, he said “We’ll see. We’ll see how that works out.”

The problem is that in Baas’ absence, the offensive line has looked better than it has all year. The combination of Kevin Boothe at center, Mitch Petrus at left guard, and David Diehl at left tackle (in for the injured Will Beatty) has worked in both the running game and pass protection.

However, some of Boothe’s snaps have been shaky, though they haven’t caused any disasters yet. If nothing else, it makes for a a very interesting decision that Coughlin and the coaching staff will face this week.

Meanwhile, there was some better news at tight end, too, where all three players on the active roster are on the injury report. Coughlin said that TE Bear Pascoe (ribs) and TE Travis Beckum (chest) will practice on Wednesday. TE Jake Ballard (knee) is the only one who will not.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...tarting-lineup

Veteran

Re: Baas is back

Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.

[quote user="JMFP2"]Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.[/quote]

Srsly
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

I'm more happy to read that Pascoe is back at practise.

Here's a question for everyone, if Booth continues his excellent play and gets his snaps under control in these next 2 games who's the favorite for the starting center next season??

We paid all this money for Baas but Boothe is out performing him. Id hate to give that kind of loot to a backup OG/C
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

All-Pro

[quote user="JMFP2"]Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.[/quote]

I bet he does, especially with that fat paycheck he carries. Happened last year when our line went through injuries. The backups played great then Diehl and company got back in there and we were worse again.

[quote user="TuckYou"]

I bet he does, especially with that fat paycheck he carries. Happened last year when our line went through injuries. The backups played great then Diehl and company got back in there and we were worse again.

[/quote]

A little refresher course: it wasn't our offensive line that cost us the season last year.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

All-Pro

Sheeesh i don't want to see him...

[quote user="Kase-1"]Here's a question for everyone, if Booth continues his excellent play and gets his snaps under control in these next 2 games who's the favorite for the starting center next season??

We paid all this money for Baas but Boothe is out performing him. Id hate to give that kind of loot to a backup OG/C
    [/quote]Remains to be seen. IMO if he had the stamina to play a full season at center. He would be one. Again IMO

Veteran

[quote user="Kase-1"]Here's a question for everyone, if Booth continues his excellent play and gets his snaps under control in these next 2 games who's the favorite for the starting center next season??

[/quote]

I'd consider seeing Baas at Guard and Boothe at Center. It will all be very dependent onwhat coaching staff is inplace next season. If they can cut ties with Baas and not take a major cap hit next season, I'd have to consider that option as well. As far as Boothe, if he is annointed Center then whoever the coach is has to get him to practice snaps millions of times in the offseason as well as bury his head into the playbook and learn all protection calls centers tend to be responsible for.

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35