+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Insider: Rolle Is Painted Into A Corner

Giants' Insider: Rolle Is Painted Into A Corner

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1209158

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle is ready and willing to play his new old role.

The veteran safety, who began his NFL career as a cornerback, found himself back in coverage in Sunday’s rout of the Packers. And while Rolle has long said he enjoys playing safety, he didn’t mind the move.

“One thing I like more than safety and my own goals is winning,” Rolle said. “So whatever it takes to win, that is what I am going to do. I like the role.”

Rolle said on his WFAN radio interview on Tuesday that he is back home in Miami “getting some treatment on my knee.” And when he returns, he just may find himself in a hybrid role again, because it worked incredibly well last Sunday.

Veteran Kenny Phillips, the Giants’ most reliable deep cover man, returned in that game after a six-game absence due to a sprained MCL, and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell desperately wanted all three of his play-making safeties — Phillips, Rolle and interception machine Stevie Brown — in action. So he used them all, relying heavily on a three-safety defense to flummox Aaron Rodgers.

The Giants have used three safeties in seasons past, but never like this. Rolle, Phillips and Brown were on the field together for every play of Green Bay’s first two possessions, and the three-safety, two-linebacker set was the regular defense, until Phillips reaggravated his MCL in the fourth quarter.

Phillips did not return, although Tom Coughlin said the injury was “not anything new,” and Phillips said on ESPN Radio on Tuesday that he “absolutely can play” against Washington.

A healthy Phillips likely means Rolle will continue to move around.

Against Green Bay, while Brown and Phillips handled deep responsibilities, Rolle routinely covered the dangerous Randall Cobb. After entering the game with six TDs in four games, Cobb was held to four catches.

“I thought he reacted very well to that spot,” Coughlin said of Rolle.

Rolle’s versatility is just one wrinkle on defense. LB Mathias Kiwanuka saw action at defensive tackle and defensive end. Justin Tuck served as a stand-up pass rusher, and on one play, Fewell used four safeties, adding rookie Will Hill. All those tricks baffled Rodgers, who turned in his second-lowest QB rating this season (81.9). Those tactics should also be useful against the likes of Robert Griffin III (Week 13), Drew Brees (Week 14) and Matt Ryan (Week 15.) The three-safety look can be key and Rolle knows it.

“I just keep my eyes open and keep myself flexible within this defense,” Rolle said. “Because I know things can change at any sudden point.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Great to hear fewell is mixing it up. Hopefully Kenny makes washington so we can keep it up.

I don't know if 3-safety would work against RG3 (I'd rather have Williams or Rivers on the field), but definitely against Brees and Ryan...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

The RG scheme is evolving. No one really knows what to do yet. He is still new and evolving himself. They need hitters who can cover in the middle.....

Rivers....????? Williams????? Are they even practicing????
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    The RG scheme is evolving. No one really knows what to do yet. He is still new and evolving himself. They need hitters who can cover in the middle.....

Rivers....????? Williams????? Are they even practicing????
    Bob Griffin is dangerous in and out of the pocket. We're gonna need a nice balance between base, nickel, and if possible a 3 safety set, cause its not like we playing a 1 trick pony....Not looking foward to seeing this guy 2x per season for the next 10yrs. BTW wheres JQ Williams???
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
    Bob Griffin is dangerous in and out of the pocket. We're gonna need a nice balance between base, nickel, and if possible a 3 safety set, cause its not like we playing a 1 trick pony....Not looking foward to seeing this guy 2x per season for the next 10yrs. BTW wheres JQ Williams???
    Bobby Gee 3 is is dangerous but as defenses see more and more of him, he will be easier to deal with. we have already seen that a couple times this year.

I highly doubt that Bobby Gee 3 is relevant for more than six seasons. The guy istaking some hits and I think that will continue. However, if you come down here to DC area, these delusional Washington Redskins fans will go on and on about he is the greatest QB ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    Bobby Gee 3 is is dangerous but as defenses see more and more of him, he will be easier to deal with. we have already seen that a couple times this year.

I highly doubt that Bobby Gee 3 is relevant for more than six seasons. The guy istaking some hits and I think that will continue. However, if you come down here to DC area, these delusional Washington Redskins fans will go on and on about he is the greatest QB ever.
    Dunno about the whole "relevant for only 6 seasons" statement, the kid is a much better passer than Vick was coming into the league and he's in an offense that really benefits him nicely. He'll only become a better passer as he matures, I think he's the real deal.

But I do agree that at some point defenses will figure out the best way to approach his game. Basically for us it'll be stopping the run and putting them into 3rd and long situations.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    Dunno about the whole "relevant for only 6 seasons" statement, the kid is a much better passer than Vick was coming into the league and he's in an offense that really benefits him nicely. He'll only become a better passer as he matures, I think he's the real deal.

But I do agree that at some point defenses will figure out the best way to approach his game. Basically for us it'll be stopping the run and putting them into 3rd and long situations.
    If he could incorporate his running the way Rodgers does he could last and be a threat for a long time. but I have a feeling that wont be the case, it's too much of his playing style. He's a natural athlete, it's what he does. He'll want to be out making big plays with his feet as well.

Also having mentioned Rodgers, AR has taken his fair share of licks and head injuries.

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)
    Personally, I think in order to slow down Bob you gotta run a 5-1-5 with 2 DL playing contain on the outside. It would be extremely ballsy, but if we had the DL alignment being

Kiwi- Tuck - DT- DT- JPP on most plays, and rotate Osi in it would work.

Then there is the 3-3-5 which would probably consist of a base of

Tuck- Canty- JPP
    Kiwi Blackburn/Boley Williams/Rivers Up front
    Last edited by Giants5699; 11-29-2012 at 12:30 PM.

He has done everything to deserve respect. You people calling him BOB is very insulting and not at all funny. Rob/RG3 is just as easy. If your a Giants fan be as classy as the organisation and show respect.

+ Reply to Thread