+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathias Kiwanuka Embracing Dual Role On Giants' Defense

Mathias Kiwanuka Embracing Dual Role On Giants' Defense

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5569

Excerpt: "When he was selected in the first round of the 2006 draft, Mathias Kiwanukaprobably never imagined that he would ever become one of those “slash” type of players.

Yet that’s the position he finds himself in today as the versatile Kiwanuka lines up as both the strong side linebacker and as a defensive end, the latter of which he played exclusively in last week’s dominating performance over the Packers.

“Yeah, I definitely love being down there. That’s a big part of the reason why even when I was playing linebacker, I would still go down on most third-downs and be able to rush. That’s what I do naturally.”

Kiwanuka, who last year signed a contract extension, could have tested the free agency market if he wanted to, searching for a team that would have used him extensively as a defensive end. But he said he met with the Giants brass who sold him ion the idea of continuing to put his versatility to good use before he agreed to his contract extension.

“I had a meeting with the GM (Jerry Reese) and (head coach Tom) Coughlin, and this is what I signed up for,” he said. “There’s going to be times when I’m used at linebacker and there will be times when they need me as a defensive lineman. I’m good as long as I feel prepared going into that game, I’ll play whatever.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Defensive lineman, please.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

They better keep him on the d-line. Why change it???

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    They better keep him on the d-line. Why change it???
    He had an immediate impact on the defensive line....granted the Packer line has issues, but the Giants pass rush definitely got a shot in the arm with Kiwi up front.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

it is his natural role...but I get the whole "most talented" guys on the Field at the same time thing.

Hence: the 3 Safety look, which also looked excellent for the better part of the GB game

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    it is his natural role...but I get the whole "most talented" guys on the Field at the same time thing.

Hence: the 3 Safety look, which also looked excellent for the better part of the GB game
    Agreed.....having Stevie Brown on the team has really helped.

- Emlen Tunnell

Gotta love this guy. He's willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

Here'show the Giants defense plays great. Rolle at nickel, Kiwi on line and Chase = Prince and Webby both having safety help and the middle jammed up. That's the way the Giants need to attack the games. Anything else would be a crime.

Oh yea, add in a closer to 100% Nicks and offense rocks as well. Cruz needs to man up a catch the ball and stop looking for defenders

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Agreed.....having Stevie Brown on the team has really helped.
    hell yes, but KP is a factor as well

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

I think he is better DE than LB...

+ Reply to Thread