+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mathias Kiwanuka Embracing Dual Role On Giants' Defense

He's a good player and we're lucky to have him. Good but not great at both LB and DE. Definition of a "solid" player that any team in the league would want.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

GET EM Kiwi!

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankAE View Post
    Here'show the Giants defense plays great. Rolle at nickel, Kiwi on line and Chase = Prince and Webby both having safety help and the middle jammed up. That's the way the Giants need to attack the games. Anything else would be a crime.

Oh yea, add in a closer to 100% Nicks and offense rocks as well. Cruz needs to man up a catch the ball and stop looking for defenders
    Rolle at Nickel is definitely a good approach but it would be nice to give different looks with a Will Hill, Stevie Brown or a Jayron Hosley helping out in that spot as well when certain matchups are better for Rolle to be at his natural safety spot. I think they do some of that anyway but to me exclusively Rolle at Nickel could eventually be exploited if they give that look all the time or too much. Defensive alignments need to be mixed up or eventually someone will exploit it. Fewell mixed up all defensive aspects beautifully Sunday and that needs to continue. I would add to your comment about the offense also. They need to run the ball efficiently (similar to the GB game) and not abandon it too soon. The balance against GB was perfect 26 runs 30 passes with 4.7 a rush. Need to keep that up!
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    He had an immediate impact on the defensive line....granted the Packer line has issues, but the Giants pass rush definitely got a shot in the arm with Kiwi up front.
    The couple of plays where he played DT he did really really well.

I think Kiwi's role in the defense depends on the identity of the opponent. If the opponent is a pass-heavy team like the Packers than we will generally go to a 4-2-5 scheme where as if we were playing a run heavy team like the 49ers or Redskins then we will generally go to a 4-3-4.

In the 4-2-5 Kiwi will probably have a bigger role as a rotational DE than as a LB whereas in the 4-3-4 he'll contribute more as a SLB rather than a rotational DE. So yeah, since his athletic ability is so versatile we can cater him to go against what the opponent is strong against.

Besides I think someone said this before, there's no sense in keeping good players off the field. You have to find ways to keep most of your best players on the field. No sense for Kiwi to be earning that much money to only be used as a rotational DE and that too sparingly. Besides he's one of our better LBs barring Boley and probably Williams.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    Rolle at Nickel is definitely a good approach but it would be nice to give different looks with a Will Hill, Stevie Brown or a Jayron Hosley helping out in that spot as well when certain matchups are better for Rolle to be at his natural safety spot. I think they do some of that anyway but to me exclusively Rolle at Nickel could eventually be exploited if they give that look all the time or too much. Defensive alignments need to be mixed up or eventually someone will exploit it. Fewell mixed up all defensive aspects beautifully Sunday and that needs to continue. I would add to your comment about the offense also. They need to run the ball efficiently (similar to the GB game) and not abandon it too soon. The balance against GB was perfect 26 runs 30 passes with 4.7 a rush. Need to keep that up!
    I don't know dude. When we play the three safety scheme I kinda think its better when Rolle plays close to the LOS. He's probably the best nickel we have and he reads the plays better down there.

Sometimes when he plays deep he takes bad angles so maybe Stevie Brown is better off back there where he can be more of a ball hawk. KP can be the sure tackler and Rolle can play a sort of LB/S hybrid depending on the down and situation.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

NICE! he is ALL IN ! gotta love the attitude! he rocks up front!

+ Reply to Thread