+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

loose starting spot due to injury

is this a slippery slope for the NFL? Will players hide concussion symptoms to not loose slot? Is coughlin sticking with diel his way of setting a positive example to players? Coughlin sees it all a mile ahead doesnt he?

no doubt players will hide stuff but now in the NFL yu get a head shot you get checked. By a 3rd party.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

The worst example of this is in San Fran. QB with the best completion percentage in the league get a concussion and loses his job. I can't stand Harbough, but you gotta feel bad for Alex Smith after resurrecting his career like that.

Lose.

I hope the 49ers don't maker the playoffs. Harbough is a scumbag for what he did to Alex Smith

Veteran
    Hixon lost his job to Cruz via injury and to nicks the year before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Hixon lost his job to Cruz via injury and to nicks the year before that.
    Those are WR, not a QB which is pretty much the Derek Jeter of positions. Cruz also showed signs of great talent, and when he stuck it in there, he won the roll. Even before Cruz was a starter, he showed signs of being an all-star WR, but we kept him off the field because Hixon was in that spot. Hixon's had plenty of chances, he can't stay healthy and he never won the role of being our kick returner which is why we signed him in the first place.

You don't put in a QB who has played one game, over a QB that has a 104 QB rating, almost 2,000 yards and 13 TD passes, you just don't. In the games the 49ers have won with him at QB, he's had only 1 interception and 11 touchdowns. No way he should have lost his job. If anything, you keep him in and at the end of the season, you trade him for a draft spot.

Hixon also lost his spot because the other just played better. Yeah, they got their chance a bit earlier because of an injury, maybe. But I don't think it changes the course of history very often.

San Fran might be the exception.

Well first of all I think Harbaugh would be making a mistake by benching Smith. The kid has played well but he really wasn't as good as some people are saying last week. I just think that Smith gives them the best chance to win. Look at his performance against NO in the playoffs. he scored 2 TD's in the last 2 minutes to win that game. He CAN make plays and has proven it by his performance.

But having said that, I think you can definitely lose your job to injury. It happened to Drew Bledsoe when his replacement turned out to be an all time great. As Lawl said, it happened with us at WR.
    HC's have to put the players on the field that give them the best chance to win. If a guy comes in because the starter gets hurt and plays great, better than the starter, then thats life.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MrDenmark View Post
    Hixon also lost his spot because the other just played better. Yeah, they got their chance a bit earlier because of an injury, maybe. But I don't think it changes the course of history very often.

San Fran might be the exception.
    This move will just make draftees not wanna play for the 49ers..they look no better than the Raiders under Al Davis.