+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Team...poor secondary

I'm a devout Giants Fan, don't get me wrong, I bleed blue. But there's no denying a slight weakness in our secondary. Yes, we shut down Green Bay, but so far our secondary has been beat by high power passing offenses in the NFL. Though I think Corey Webster is talented on the field, it is clear that he is sometimes having a hard time with deep passes, and Amukamara as well. I think it may benefit us to trade Corey Webster and a draft pick to the Cleveland Browns for Joe Haden. Joe Haden is an explosive cornerback who excels at man-to-man coverage and has remarkable athletic ability and potential. The Cleveland Browns are obviously in a rebuilding stage with young guys such as Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, and Greg Little. I think they'd love another draft pick, and we'd love another arsenal for our secondary.

I'll agree that CWeb is having a down year but Prince has been the complete opposite. He's becoming a premier corner of the first order. Sure he'll have hiccups here and there but that's because I don't think he's fully developed yet. I think PFF rated him to be a top 10 corner up to this point in the season.

Seeing how thin our secondary gets and how we seem to bring guys off the streets to play CB at times, it only makes sense to keep a veteran to show the new guys how the defense works. If we got rid of Webster, we'd get rid of our most experienced DB. I highly doubt TT is coming back next year so we simply have to draft a bit higher for a CB and let CWeb groom him till he becomes prepared to become the other starting corner.

Besides, CWeb still has a few years left in him and can provide us depth once another corner takes his starting position. Also, I don't think the Browns will be will to trade Haden. He's a young guy with shutdown potential for a rebuilding team; they'd make a huge mistake by trading him. He's a top 10 draft pick from only two years ago, there's no way Cleveland parts with him unless we offer them something they can't refuse.

Just got to build through the draft like we always do. In Reese we trust.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Also there have a lot of injuries in the secondary. The secondary has actually played pretty well when they are at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by rtahsin View Post
    I'll agree that CWeb is having a down year but Prince has been the complete opposite. He's becoming a premier corner of the first order. Sure he'll have hiccups here and there but that's because I don't think he's fully developed yet. I think PFF rated him to be a top 10 corner up to this point in the season.

Seeing how thin our secondary gets and how we seem to bring guys off the streets to play CB at times, it only makes sense to keep a veteran to show the new guys how the defense works. If we got rid of Webster, we'd get rid of our most experienced DB. I highly doubt TT is coming back next year so we simply have to draft a bit higher for a CB and let CWeb groom him till he becomes prepared to become the other starting corner.

Besides, CWeb still has a few years left in him and can provide us depth once another corner takes his starting position. Also, I don't think the Browns will be will to trade Haden. He's a young guy with shutdown potential for a rebuilding team; they'd make a huge mistake by trading him. He's a top 10 draft pick from only two years ago, there's no way Cleveland parts with him unless we offer them something they can't refuse.

Just got to build through the draft like we always do. In Reese we trust.
    I agree we have to draft 1 in the first round ( Xaiver Rhodes FSU).I don't think he'll fall to us but you never know.

When Phillips plays they are pretty good. The problem is Phillips staying healthy.

Mike Jenkins could be an inexpensive great veteran presence on our team next year if we chose to fix our secondary through FA/draft

Thanks for the responses guys, first post so I hope to get some more insight. I agree with you guys about the injuries with Philips and Amukamara's impressive performance this year. I still can't help feeling though that a high-draft linebacker or defensive back would be the most beneficial asset to our still-improving defense.

yeah i dont ever think we will get a high profile LB in the first round. I'm interested to see how we are going to work on rivers but i think that our priority entering the draft should be oline. rounds 1-3 we should pick up 2 olineman and one defensive player.

All-Pro
    They are a different team with KP playing but he is hurting now. The game started bad the other night but after that one bad play they did shut down the leagues best rated passer. Some of those sacks where coverage sacks too.

Browns would never have any interest in trading Haden, he is their second best player. That would be the equivalent of the giants trading JPP.

Webster is very capable of being a top CB, but makes technique errors all the time. Getting beat by Nelson was completely technique