+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Saturday, December 1, 2012

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Kenny Phillips Doubtful For Redskins' Game, Jason Pierre-Paul Misses second Practice

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._doubtful.html

Excerpt: "The Giants likely will play another game without safety Kenny Phillips, who is listed as doubtful for Monday night's game against the Redskins with a right knee injury that has bothered him since Week 4.

Each of the team's starting defensive ends appeared on the injury report this week, too: Jason Pierre-Paul is questionable after sitting out practice yesterday and today with a back injury. Justin Tuck did not practice today with a foot injury but is listed as probable for the game.

Phillips missed six games after injuring his MCL against the Eagles, before returning in last week's win against the Packers. His presence was immediately felt on the field, and his return also allowed the Giants to use a three-safety look as their base defense with Antrel Rolle playing the nickel corner and Phillips and Stevie Brown playing deep.

The Giants defense will no doubt have to adjust. Phillips re-injured his knee in the second half of last week's game but said all week he would play. His listing of doubtful indicates he will not.

"When we started our rehab, we didn't go about it the right way, and now here we are, we're dealing with it," Phillips said, explaining why the injury has lingered so long. In the past, he said he pushed the knee too early and did not rest it enough.

LB Jacquian Williams, who has missed the last five games with a PCL tear, is also doubtful. TE Travis Beckum is out with a knee injury, but a person familiar with his status said he did not re-injure the ACL he tore in the Super Bowl, he just has soreness, which is natural coming off that kind of injury. That person requested anonymity because the team has not commented on Beckum's status." Read more...

##

Giants' Hakeem Nicks Still Out Of Step Following Knee and Foot Injuries

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...still_out.html

Excerpt: "The Giants tried the play no less than four times against the Packers last Sunday night.

The fade route between Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks has been one of their go-to calls, taking advantage of Nicks’ physical playing style and one-on-one match-ups in the end zone.

But none of those attempts were completed for a touchdown. One was tipped by the defense, and another may have been a bit out of reach, but offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride used the missed chances as examples of how Nicks — try as he might — is still not at full strength.

“Still not the same. Not himself, no,” Gilbride said. “He had a couple chances for plays. He would have made those plays easily (if healthy). Easily.”

Nicks has fought through left knee and right foot injuries that have nagged him all season, missing three games and playing the other eight at less than 100 percent. Each of the past few weeks, the fourth-year receiver has said he feels the best he has felt all season, but Gilbride chuckled knowingly.

“Doesn’t he tell you that every week?” Gilbride asked. “Is he convincing you, himself or the opposition?”

But Gilbride appreciates that about Nicks. He has the highest respect for his player’s toughness and his will to be on the field when still hurting.

“You love the fact that he’s trying,” Gilbride said. “He’s fighting his rear end (off). He refused to accept being hurt, and he knows we’re better when he’s out there, and he’s trying to do everything he can. I admire that and everything else, but he’s not the same guy yet as he was, there’s no question about that.”

Those missed fade routes underscored that. The first incompletion was the most glaring to Gilbride, because the ball hit Nicks right in the hands.

In Gilbride’s view, Nicks right now is not used to catching the ball while being jostled — a product of missing most of the spring and summer after fracturing a bone in his foot and really only seeing live action in regular-season games. The knee injury developed in his only 100-yard receiving game of the season, against Tampa Bay in Week 2." Read more...

Michael Strahan Named Semifinalist For Pro Football Hall Of Fame

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...semifinal.html

Excerpt: "First-time candidates John Lynch, Michael Strahan and Jonathan Ogden were among 27 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2013 class announced today.

Joining Lynch, Strahan and Ogden among first-year eligible players are Morten Andersen, Larry Allen and Warren Sapp.

Strahan retired after the Giants won the Super Bowl following the 2007 season with 141 1-2 sacks, including a league-record 22 1-2 in 2001. He was the Defensive Player of the Year in '01 and played 15 seasons for New York." Read more.

Giants' Osi Umenyiora Says It's "Imperative" To Outlaw Cut Blocking In The NFL

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._says_its.html

Excerpt: "
    Last week, Sports Illustrated's Peter King tweeted that the NFL's competition committee will consider banning all blocks below the waist in 2013. Blocks below the waist, popularly known as cut or chop blocks, have become increasingly common around the league as zone blocking schemes have spread.

When asked today about the measure, a couple Giants defensive linemen were adamant about the rule change.

"That's imperative. I don't understand for the life of me why that block is still allowed right now," defensive end Osi Umenyiora said. "I understand you want to slow some people down, but people are tearing their ACLs, getting hurt and maimed out there. It's not like our legs are any less valuable than a quarterback or an offensive player so why not protect us also. You can't even touch a quarterback now without it being a fine and $50,000 coming out of your pocket but it's OK for them to cut me and tear my ACL and ruin my career and eliminate the ability to put food in my family's mouth. I don't think it's right at all." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Bradshaw To Shoulder Rushing Load

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1211187

Excerpt: "Ahmad Bradshaw knows it is not his burden alone to make up for the loss of versatile Andre Brown in the Giants’ running game, but a broad smile came over his face when asked Friday if he believes he could handle as many as 30 carries Monday night in Washington.

“Of course,” Bradshaw said. “I’m not going to put all the pressure on me, but I want to help this team as much as I can. When I get an opportunity, that’s what it’s going to be.”

Bradshaw did not practice Friday – he doesn’t often because of a foot injury that has bothered him since last season – but he will be prepared to shoulder more of the offensive burden against the Redskins. He has averaged just 13.8 carries over the past five games since totaling 316 yards on 57 carries in October wins over Cleveland and San Francisco.

“I’m getting better every week, and I feel great about it. We’ll just see how it happens during the game,” Bradshaw said. “Being a divisional game and going back pretty much to home – I’m from Virginia and a lot of my family is from that area – it’s going to be a very exciting game for me. I’m getting a lot healthier now and I’m getting more and more excited for the game.”

After Brandon Jacobs was not re-signed during the offseason, Brown emerged as a valuable weapon and a story of perseverance -- averaging 5.3 yards per rush (73-for-385) and scoring 8 touchdowns this season -- before suffering a broken leg last week against Green Bay. He was spotted on crutches on the practice field Friday.

“It was tough. We can tell Andre really wants it, he wants it more than anybody on this team,” Bradshaw said. “He wanted to be a part of this. (He was having) a great year. It’s a tough loss and everything, and stuff happens. But bad luck did happen to Andre.”

Of course, one player’s misfortune creates an opportunity for others in Tom Coughlin’s “next man up” world. The Giants signed free agent running backs Kregg Lumpkin and Ryan Torain for depth this week, and as Bradshaw noted, “the young boy is still here.” That would be first-round pick David Wilson, who has excelled on kickoffs but has totaled just 102 rushing yards on 24 carries in his rookie season." Read more...

Osi: Cut Blocks More Dangerous Than Head Shots

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...han-head-shots

Excerpt: "There is a revived movement in the NFL recently to ban dangerous cut blocks from the game the way the league has tried to ban hits to the head. Not surprisingly, the Giants’ defensive players are all for that.

Some of them even believe a hit to the head is nothing compared to a chop block at the knees.

“Anybody who plays defense will tell you that they’d much rather get hit in the head or get a concussion than have someone take out your knees,” defensive end Osi Umenyiora said. “That really will set you back for a long period of time. We don’t want that. And it should be eliminated.”

Whether or not that’s true, defensive players all seem to agree that blocks below the waist can be dangerous and Umenyiora said it’s “imperative” that the NFL finally does something about it.

“I don’t understand for the life of me why that block is being allowed right now,” he said. “People are tearing their ACLs and getting hurt out there. It’s not like our legs are any less valuable than quarterbacks and offensive players. So why not protect us also?" Read more...

Former Giant Michael Strahan In Running For Hall Of Fame

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1211048

Excerpt: "Former Giants All-Pro defensive end Michael Strahan is among the 27 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2013 in his first year of eligibility, joining former Giants and Jets coach Bill Parcells and the late former Giants general manager George Young.

The list, announced Friday, will be reduced to 15 finalists in early January and then a maximum of five modern era candidates and two senior candidates can be selected for induction when the 44 selectors convene on Feb. 2 in New Orleans, one day before Super Bowl XLVII.

Strahan, who played his entire 15-year career with the Giants, retired after the Super Bowl XLII upset of the undefeated Patriots following the 2007 season. He holds the NFL single-season record for sacks with 22.5 in 2001 (the last one, the one that set the record, was a gift from Brett Favre).

Parcells made it to the final 10 last year in his first year on the ballot since the HOF changed the rule that now requires coaches to sit out five years before they are eligible, the same guidelines it has for players. Under the old rules, when coaches were immediately eligible after retiring, Parcells was turned down twice by the HOF voters in between his jobs coaching the Jets and Cowboys.

Voters were concerned after Parcells left the Jets that he would coach again. And he did.

Parcells and Strahan each have an excellent chance to be selected. Young, who built the Giants first two Super Bowl championship teams, has been a semifinalist in previous years but didn’t make the final cut. He is also very deserving as he helped turn around one of the NFL’s cornerstone franchise when he was hired in 1979." Read more...

Phillips Unhappy About How Knee Rehab Went

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...nee-rehab-went

Excerpt: "It has been nine long weeks since Kenny Phillips first suffered an MCL injury and he never imagined his right knee would still be a problem. And it’s not just bad luck or chronic knee issues, either.

Phillips said he’s still hurting because “When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way.”

The Giants’ safety wouldn’t get into specifics, nor did he place blame on any one person, but he seemed clearly unhappy about the way his injury has been handled since he first got hurt in a Week 4 game in Philadelphia. He missed the next six games plus the bye week before returning last Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers.

Then he hurt his knee again.

“Yeah, it sucks,” Phillips said. “It’s real frustrating. It seems like it’s always something. But I’ve been able to play through it. This is probably the most I’ve been able to play. I’m trying to bounce back from it. It felt OK. I’m getting better each day.”

Phillips, who was limited in practice on Friday, is pressing to play again on Monday night in Washington and hopes to remain in the lineup the rest of the season. But he’s clearly still hurting and said it’ll likely be that way until the offseason when he can rest.

He had plenty of time to rest before last Sunday night, though, so he definitely didn’t feel like he rushed back onto the field. But something about the way he went about his rehab just didn’t seem to work out.

“When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way, and now here we are, we’re dealing with it right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to get into (specifics). It just didn’t work out the way we wanted it to.

Asked if he was angry, Phillips said “I mean, I wouldn’t say I’m mad about it. It is what it is. No one’s perfect. I just think we both felt that something needed to change. We needed to change up the rehab. We just felt like we weren’t doing the right things.

“So we just switched up and it immediately starting feeling better. So I’m here now. I’m not worried about the games that I missed.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST

Giants Going With Trio At Position

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...7KmEjPi26NxFTK

Excerpt: "As long as the main characters stay healthy, the three-safety scheme that helped the Giants win the Super Bowl last year looks here to stay.

The return of Kenny Phillips from a six-game absence last week allowed coach Tom Coughlin’s team to use a three-safety look against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, and the result was a resounding 38-10 victory that snapped Big Blue’s two-game losing streak.

With Phillips likely to be available again after he bounced back well from another knee injury sustained in that game, the Giants sound as if Robert Griffin III and the Redskins can expect to face the same system Monday night when the NFC East rivals square off in Landover, Md.

“We would like it to become the norm,” Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said yesterday. “I think it can be effective against a running team or a passing team because of who [the three safeties] are and what they bring to the table.”

The scheme, which calls for a safety (usually Antrel Rolle) to cover the opponent’s primary slot receiver instead of a nickel cornerback while Phillips and Stevie Brown fill the normal safety roles, had mostly gone on the back burner this season while Phillips missed those six games with knee woes.

But Phillips returned Sunday night, and the effectiveness of the three-safety scheme returned with him as the Giants limited Rodgers — the reigning MVP — to just 219 passing yards and one touchdown while intercepting him once and handing Green Bay by far its most lopsided loss of the season." Read more...

Locklear's Heritage Resonates For Redskins' Game

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...oeCsuFxEkRHwaL

Excerpt: "Giants offensive tackle Sean Locklear was about 12 years old when his mother, Effie, gave him a Starter hat with a Redskins logo on it. He cherished the gift.

“Back then Starter was everything,” Locklear said yesterday inside the Giants locker room at the Timex Performance Center. “I wound up losing it. I think somebody stole it.”

His connection with the Redskins runs deeper than just being a childhood fan. Locklear’s mother is full-blooded Native American, a member of the Lumbee Tribe in Lumberton, N.C., where Locklear was raised. Sean attended pow-wows as a kid. He also has ridden in parades and as an adult has sat in on meetings where tribal leaders continue their quest to be federally recognized.

The Lumbee Tribe dates back to 1885 with ancestors as far back as the 1700s, but it never has benefited from the financial perks a treaty with the United States would bring.

“That’s one thing that we’ve been fighting for and continue to fight for is getting federal recognition,” said Locklear, whose father is African-American. “It’s all about documentation, and we have documents that go back only so far of where our people actually came from.”

The Giants (7-4) play the Redskins (5-6) on Monday Night at FedEx Field in a matchup that always is going to be special for Locklear.

There’s the connection from when he cheered for the Redskins as a kid. There’s the year he spent in Washington last season. The nine-year veteran called it a good experience, though he signed with the Giants during the offseason and has become a valuable contributor to an offensive line that has needed shuffling.

After opening the season as the starting left tackle because of an injury to Will Beatty, Locklear figures to start at right tackle Monday if David Diehl can’t go because of a neck burner. Locklear took all the reps with the first team yesterday.

“I didn’t know I was going to practice there until they told me just before we went out,” Locklear said. “You just have to be ready.” Read more...

Giants' Strahan Semifinalist For Hall Of Fame

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...#axzz2DkeC0uQ9

Excerpt: "First-time candidates John Lynch, Michael Strahan and Jonathan Ogden were among 27 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s 2013 class announced Friday.

Joining Lynch, Strahan and Ogden among first-year eligible players are Morten Andersen, Larry Allen and Warren Sapp.

Lynch was a star safety for Tampa Bay and Denver over 15 seasons and was considered one of the hardest hitters in the game, as well as a strong coverage defender.

Strahan retired after the Giants won the Super Bowl following the 2007 season with 141 1-2 sacks, including a league-record 22 1-2 in 2001. He was the Defensive Player of the Year in ‘01 and played 15 seasons for New York." Read more...
    With Phillips Likely Back, Giants To Load Field With Safeties vs. Redskins

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...#axzz2DkeC0uQ9

Excerpt: "Coordinator Perry Fewell has added a new wrinkle to the Giants’ defense with veteran safety Kenny Phillips back in the lineup.

Instead of using schemes with three safeties instead of two, Fewell upped the count to four at times in a 38-10 win over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night.

Phillips, Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown formed the main trio. They were joined by Will Hill, and later Tyler Sash after Phillips aggravated an injury to his right knee.

Phillips practiced on a limited basis Friday for the Monday night game against Washington (5-6). He expects to play, which means the Giants (7-4) probably will load the field with safeties to give Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III a little more to think about.

Fewell said the safety-heavy formations can not only confuse a quarterback, they allow him to use all his talent.

“I think when you use that package it gives you a lot of flexibility,” Fewell said. “It does cause some confusion for the offense. Who is the safety? Who is the guy who is dropping down? Some people don’t know. Some people think they know. Those guys, the way they move around and the way they allow us to change them, it can make things difficult for a quarterback.”

Getting Phillips back in the lineup last week was key to the formations. He sprained his medial collateral ligament against Philadelphia at the end of September and missed six games in what was a slower-than-expected recovery.

“It’s real frustrating. It seems like it’s always something,” Phillips said after practice Friday. “But I’ve been able to play through it. This is probably the most I’ve been able to play. I’m trying to bounce back from it. It felt OK. I’m getting better each day.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS.COM

Giants' Injuury Report - 12/1/2012

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...3-a94243765b61

"Out
    TE Travis Beckum - Knee (DNP)
    Doubtful
    S Kenny Phillips - Knee (LP)
    LB Jaquian Williams Knee (LP)
    Questionable
    T David Diehl - Shoulder (LP)
    WR Domenik Hixon - Ankle (LP)
    DE Jason Pierre-Paul - Back (DNP)
    Probable
    C David Baas - Shoulder (FP)
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw - Foot (LP)
    CB Jayron Hosley - Shoulder (FP)
    S Antrel Rolle - Illness (DNP)
    DE Justin Tuck - Foot (DNP)"

Giants vs. Redskins Scouting Report

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...d-3078ba2cc837

"The Giants will make their only Monday night appearance of the season this week when they visit their NFC East rivals, the Washington Redskins, in FedEx Field. It will be a rematch of the Giants’ thrilling 27-23 victory in MetLife Stadium on October 21, when Eli Manning and Victor Cruzhooked up for the game-winning 77-yard touchdown pass with 1:13 remaining – and only 19 seconds after Washington had taken the lead. The Giants have faced the Redskins 159 times in the regular season since their first game in 1932, making this their most frequently-contested rivalry. They lead the series, 92-63-4. Washington swept the season series in 2011 for the first time since 1999. The Giants have won five of their last six games in Washington and are 8-6-1 in FedEx Field.

Offense
    With electrifying rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III running the show, the Redskins’ offense is ranked seventh in the NFL is yards per game (384.9) and points per game (26.9 a game). Washington is averaging a league-best 6.2 yards per play. The Redskins are second in the NFL in rushing yards a game (162.9) and second in yards-per-carry (5.2). They are 19th in passing yardage (222.0 a game).

Washington’s offense lost tight end Fred Davis, who tore his Achilles tendon against the Giants, but now has the services of wide receiver Pierre Garcon, who missed six games with a toe injury. Tackle Jamaal Brown was kept on the reserve/physically unable to perform list and he will not play this year.

The Redskins have scored 76 points off of turnovers after getting 43 all of last year. They are one of three teams in the NFL with more rushing attempts (346) than passes (305). Griffin (642 rushing yards) and Alfred Morris (982) are the only teammates in history to exceed 500 yards in their rookie season. Washington’s last 10 100-yard rushers have been rookies – Evan Royster, Roy Helu and Morris, who has four this year.

When the running game is clicking, the Redskins use plenty of play action, which makes Griffin even more dangerous. They run a variety of screens and gadget plays. Griffin is a dual threat who has thrown 16 touchdown passes and rushed for six more scores. He has completed 67 percent of his passes, thrown only four interceptions and is averaging 6.5 yards a carry. Griffin has outstanding arm strength, he’s a good decision maker and he breaks down a defense when he steps out of the pocket, as he did on a successful fourth-and-10 late in Washington’s loss to the Giants. Defenses get tired chasing him around. Griffin’s backup is another rookie, Kirk Cousins, who has thrown nine passes this season – including a 77-yard touchdown.

Morris is a workhorse back who rushed for a season-high 120 yards vs. the Giants. He ran for 113 yards in the Skins’ Thanksgiving Day victory in Dallas. Morris is a tough, hard-nosed runner whose 982 yards place him fifth in the NFL. He has scored six touchdowns. Royster is a quick-footed, change-of-pace back who has 13 rushing attempts and 13 catches this season. Fullback Darrel Young was a linebacker at Villanova who joined the Redskins as an undrafted free agent. He is now an improving blocker who has averaged 4.7 yards on his nine carries and caught two touchdown passes.
    Garcon had a spectacular 59-yard touchdown reception against the Cowboys. He is a consistent playmaker with speed and strength who has averaged almost 16 yards a catch in his limited action this season. The other starter is Josh Morgan, who has a team-high 37 receptions but has yet to score a touchdown. He is tough and competitive in the middle of the field and Washington’s best-blocking wideout. Santana Moss, a 12-year veteran, has career totals of 70 catches for 1,048 yards and 11 touchdowns against the Giants. This season, he usually lines up in the slot in a three-wide receiver formation and he leads the team with seven touchdown receptions. Moss is a savvy veteran who is quick at the break point and fast enough to get down the field. Leonard Hankerson, who had six catches against the Giants, is at his best as a post-up target. Brandon Banks is dangerous when he gets the ball on bubble screens. Aldrick Robinson has 11 catches, including one in each of the last two games – 49 and 68-yard touchdowns. He is a vertical route runner who helps clear out the intermediate area for his teammates.

Logan Paulson took over as the starting tight end when Davis was placed on injured reserve. Paulson is a strong blocker who is making strides as a receiver. His 12 catches in the last four games is the team’s second-highest total in that span. Backup Niles Paul is used primarily as an H-back. He is a good lead blocker who has averaged 18.7 yards on his seven catches. Chris Cooley, a former six-year starter who was released on August 28, was re-signed to take Davis’ place on the roster. He has played little since his return, but is a smart and savvy veteran.

Washington’s starting offensive line has remained intact since the first Giants game. The best player up front is left tackle Trent Williams, a powerful and aggressive blocker who can handle speed rushers because of his quick feet. Right tackle Tyler Polumbus is a 6-8, 305-pounder short-area mauler in the run game. Left guard Kory Lichtensteiger is Washington’s most-penalized player, but he is a feisty blocker. Right guard Chris Chester, a tight end in college, is the Redskins’ most productive inside offensive lineman. He is a steady all-around player. Center Will Montgomery has good instincts in the run game and is at his best on the move.

Defense
    The Redskins’ 3-4 defense is ranked 28th in the NFL (390.5 yards a game), despite being one of the league’s strongest units against the run. Washington’s rushing defense is third in the NFL, giving up only 89.2 yards per game. But the pass defense is ranked 31st, allowing 301.4 yards an outing. The Redskins have allowed an average of 25.9 points a game, placing them 25th in the league. They have given up 285 points – 40 in the third quarter, but 116 in the fourth.

Washington is missing numerous key players on defense. The Redskins lost two of their best defensive players for the season in Week 2, when left end Adam Carriker (torn tendon near his right knee) and right outside linebacker Brian Orakpo (torn left pectoral) were injured. Safety Brandon Meriweather and rookie linebacker Keenan Robinson are also on I.R.

The defensive line has just 3.5 of the Redskins’ 20 sacks. Nose tackle Barry Cofield, the former Giant, has played well all season. He leads the team with 26 quarterback hits and has 35 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Cofield is a good player on the move who is constantly running plays down. Left end Jarvis Jenkins, who missed the 2011 season with a torn knee ligament, quickly reads schemes and uses his hands well against the run and pass. Right end Stephen Bowen is an every-down player who moves inside in the sub defenses. Kedric Golston contributes steady pressure as a backup. Chris Baker is a two-down space eater who plays about 13 snaps a game.

Middle linebacker London Fletcher, the 15-year veteran, has battled injuries all season, but his streak of consecutive games played is now at 235. Currently playing with a sore ankle, Fletcher leads the team with 127 tackles (75 solo) and has two interceptions and a sack. The three-time Pro Bowler is an instinctive player who takes good angles and is a sure tackler. Perry Riley is a solid run-stopper at the other inside backer position. Left outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan is the team’s biggest pass-rush threat. He leads the team with 6.5 sacks; no one else has more than 2.0. Kerrigan has straight line power and good movement on the edge. Rob Jackson reacts quickly to the ball in pass coverage and can pack a punch against the run. Backup Lorenzo Alexander has gotten increased playing time. He lines up in several spots and is a relentless attacker.

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall sometimes covers the opposition’s best receiver and at other times stays on the left or right side. A volatile player – he was ejected from the game in Pittsburgh – Hall is playing well and is Washington’s third-leading tackler with 80. He leads the Redskins with four interceptions. The other corner is Josh Wilson, who does a good job of disguising his intentions. Cedric Griffin plays on the corner in the sub defenses, with Hall moving inside. Griffin is a hard-hitter. Free safety Madieu Williams has been the most consistent member of the secondary. A good communicator on the back end of the defense, he is quick to read a play and react to it. DeJon Gomes has taken over for Reed Doughty as the other starting safety. Gomes is at his best as a zone defender, but he has brought good pressure on blitzes.

Special Teams
    Coach Mike Shanahan’s decision to sign kicker Kai Forbath on October 9 has proven to be wise.
    Forbath has made all 10 of his field goal attempts, though the Steelers did block one of his extra point tries. Forbath has been accurate and poised. Punter Sav Rocca is 26th in the NFL with a 44.0-yard gross average and 25th with a 37.-8 yards net average. But he gets good hang time and the Skins haven’t allowed a punt return longer than 22 yards. Brandon Banks is averaging 24.1 yards on 21 kickoff returns and 6.8 yards on 23 punt returns. Long snapper Nick Sundberg, who didn’t play against the Giants in October, has been activated off injured reserve. Alexander is one of the NFL’s best special teamers. He leads the team with 20 special teams tackles (15 solo). Washington is fifth in the NFL in punt coverage (average opposing return, 6.5 yards) and 11th in kickoff coverage (22.6)."

Giants' Injury Report - 11/30/2012

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...3-a94243765b61

NEW YORK GIANTS

Did Not Participate in Practice
    RB Agmas Bradshawa (Foot)
    T David Diehl (Shoulder)
    DE Jason Pierre-Paul (Back)
    Limited Participation in Practice
    C David Baas (Shoulder)
    WR Domenik Hixon (Ankle)
    CB Jayron Holsey(Shoulder)S Kenny Phillips (Knee)
    LB Jacquian Williams (Knee)

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
    Limited Participation in Practice
    LB London Fletcher (Ankle)
    T Trent Williams (Thigh)
    GIANTS 101

Giants Returning To Championship Form At Just The right Time

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/01/...he-right-time/

Excerpt: "No one grew more weary of the “here we go again” and November slump diatribes more than the New York Football Giants themselves. On Sunday night in front of the nation, they silenced the flip-flopping critics. Again.This is still a five game schedule, but upon closer look at how this team is approaching them is undeniably beyond confidence-building.
    “Give it all I got today and I looked in your eyes, boys, and I know that [expletive] we did in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh & all that [expletive] we did before that bye, that [expletive] is gone! That team right there is gone; it’s dead…” was Justin Tuck’s pre-game war cry.

Last season, this team was much lower before they took a sharp right and went on a serious run. That run took them into the playoffs and they never lost the momentum or the integrity to finish.

Many use mention of the definition of insanity, but that cliché is not for the Giants. The only thing they are repetitive in is tradition and pride. Anything that doesn’t get them on the road to those two intangibles is changed with quickness. There is nothing crazy here (except some of the fans). Last week, it was mentioned that serious introspection had to go down for this team to come out as the reigning NFL World Champions. They achieved success so far for game one in that six game season. Game two is a division game and will take a bit…more." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Spotlight On...David Wilson, Rueben Randle: Time To Contribute Rookies

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/11/3...new-you-giants

Excerpt: "Before the bye week New York Giants' wide receiver Hakeem Nicks talked to rookie receiver Rueben Randle and offered a word of advice. Nicks told Randle the season was coming to crunch time, and it's time for the rookies to really start picking up their game.

"[Nicks] said these next couple of weeks, we're going to need all you young guys to step up," said Randle. "The beginning of the season is over with, so it's about time we pick up our game and contribute."

Earlier in the year NBC broadcaster Cris Colinsworth suggested that the Giants were upset with Randle's work ethic in practice, which Randle didn't take too kindly. Randle has been working mostly as a punt returner this season getting few opportunities at wide receiver. He caught his first career NFL touchdown last week against the Green Bay Packers. He was hoping it would of came sooner in the season rather than later, so he wasn't making a big to-do about it. "It's big, but I'm not going to make a big deal about it. Just got to keep pushing and keep working."

Among the other key rookies to contribute in this late part of the season is running back David Wilson. Wilson's opportunities at running back were cut short all the way back to Week 1 when he fumbled on his first drive against theDallas Cowboys. He's worked mostly as a kickoff returner. He's had some success returning kickoffs, including a 66-yard return against the San Francsico 49ers, and he scored his first career NFL touchdown against theCleveland Browns on a carry in the second half.

Last Sunday the Giants lost their second running back Andre Brown to a broken leg, so a path for Wilson to really step up has opened. Veteran backAhmad Bradshaw gave the rookie some advice, telling him about his rookie year when Derrick Ward went down with an injury.

"Be prepared so when your chance comes, you'll be ready. That's what I've been doing," said Wilson. "Completing quizzes with Henry [Hynoski], going through practice, shadowing Andre and Ahmad at practice and making sure I'm watching them and paying attention when they're in the games and seeing how I would react in the situation they're in and all the things you can do to prepare and be ready so when it's your turn you can step up without missing a step." Read more...

Giants vs. Redskins: What To Watch For Monday Night

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/11/3...i-david-wilson

Excerpt: "Here is a look at a few things to watch Monday night when the New York Giants face the Washington Redskins.

How will the Giants defend the Redskins?

We have talked over the past few days about how the Redskins torched the Giants' defense for 480 total yards in their first meeting. The Giants had no answers for the running of Alfred Morris, or the running and throwing of Robert Griffin III. Tom Coughlin promised tweaks to the Giants' defensive scheme, and it will be interesting to see what the Giants do.

You can be certain that the three-safety alignment, not available to the Giants in the first game with Kenny Phillips out, will be big part of the plan. How they deploy the line and linebackers, and whether they choose to go with a lot of man-to-man with press coverage on the outside (my preference) or play more zone looks will be worth watching.

One thing we know for sure. The Giants got four turnovers from Washington the first time, and they can't count on that being their only weapon again." Read more...

SITE LINK

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE.

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

Notebook: Bennett, Wilson, And Garcon

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...son-and-garcon

Excerpt: "Martellus Bennett
    insists he did not cry at MetLife Stadium last Sunday night.

The Giants tight end took a big hit from Packers safety Jerron McMillian in the fourth quarter, and was slow to get up. McMillian was flagged for unnecessary roughness. (He also was hit with a $21,000 fine by the league).

"I guess it's for the well-being of whoever was down, because I guess he was crying and whatnot," McMillian said this week, according to Fox Sports Wisconsin. "I guess something was wrong with him, but it was a clean hit. I think they more so threw the flag because of his reaction instead of the actual contact."

"I didn't cry," Bennett said, chuckling, when asked about McMillian's comment Friday. "The last time I cried was when I asked my wife to marry me."

LEARNING CURVE: With No. 2 running back Andre Brown out with a broken fibula suffered against the Packers, rookie David Wilson might finally get some significant carries, starting Monday night against the Redskins.

The starter, Ahmad Bradshaw, said Friday that Wilson is now "very important" to the Giants' offense, and talked about how he's trying to help the first-round draft pick.

"I just try to feed him a lot of the little things because that's what he has problems with," Bradshaw said. "When he's running the ball and reading the guards' blocks and just being more patient. A lot of our runs are patient runs and waiting for the front line to make a certain block or for the defensive line to jump outside and you know we cut it up. Just little things I can help him with. He has great vision, great speed. He's a sponge right now to absorb all the information." Read more...

Week 13 Predictions: Giants at Redskins

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ts-at-redskins

Osi Not Taking Redskins Game Lightly

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...s-game-lightly

Excerpt: "
    The Giants have a two-game cushion in the NFC East heading into Monday night's clash with the second-place Redskins.

But defensive end Osi Umenyiora spoke Friday about a sense of urgency regarding this game, despite the disparity in the standings.

"Not to look ahead, but the teams we have coming up here are all good football teams," Umenyiora said. "So we're not gonna take any of them for granted and feel like, 'OK, if we lose this game, we still have an opportunity to win our division.' Because if we lose this game, we might not win our division, with the teams we have coming up ahead.

"Every game is a very, very important game for us. We have a very tough five games here, and we have to take every one of them like it's a championship fight."

That's music to many Giants fans' ears. Big Blue doesn’t always bring its “A” game when it doesn’t need to.

And Umenyiora’s right – the rest of the schedule is no cakewalk, with games against the Saints, Falcons and Ravens ahead, before the regular season finale against the Eagles." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

MISCELLANEOUS

Vick Worsens, Could Miss Rest Of Season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/michael-vick-could-miss-rest-of-season/related/
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Starter
    Thanks RF!
    Can't wait for Monday night. Giants will prevail. Are we looking at another 9-7 Division winner?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    Thanks RF!
    Can't wait for Monday night. Giants will prevail. Are we looking at another 9-7 Division winner?
    I think we will win at least 11 games
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think we will win at least 11 games
    With a win on Monday night, I totally agree. In the meantime, we're staring at another LONG week-end of waiting.

Thanks for the recap, as always RF!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    With a win on Monday night, I totally agree. In the meantime, we're staring at another LONG week-end of waiting.

Thanks for the recap, as always RF!
    These off Sunday games are as pain

# 80

5 game sched left...
    next game is the most important....
    lets get another win...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    5 game sched left...
    next game is the most important....
    lets get another win...
    One game at a time. I have a good feeling about how the season ends, my friend.

# 80

of course you do....

Ro....would you be happy if the got to the playoffs and played a great game but were one and done??
    Not saying you would be happy about a loss but most SB champs dont even get back to the playoffs. I guess from that aspect I would be bummed but overall it would be a good season.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    I believe.
    I don't see any game ahead as a sure thing, not even with the Eagles. But if we play at the same level as we did against the Packers (and the 49ers) we can run the table.

# 80