+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants End Playoff Drought: 1981 (One for the Oldtimers)

Found this blog with a link to some video, Giants beat Dallas in OT and go to the playoffs for the first time since 1963.

http://bigbluevcr.blogspot.com/2012/...v-cowboys.html

Wow. That brings back some memories.

I don't think I'll ever complain about Lawrence Tynes again.....

I remember that game.

There was a thread a couple weeks back asking to name the "best Non-Super Bowl season".....1981 was my choice.....I was a kid at the time, and me and my Dad used to watch the games every week.....that was my first year watching the Giants go to the playoffs, so it was huge.

1981 was the end of the dark ages for the Giants.

Think about it.....18 years between playoff appearances.....that's why there were so many Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, and Raider fans from NJ back then. I remember going to school with those schmucks....it wasn't easy.

Like I said, to me, that was the biggest season next to the 4 Super Bowl seasons.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Miss #1....regulation

Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Miss #2...regulation

- Emlen Tunnell

Joe makes FG to force overtime!

- Emlen Tunnell

Miss #3.....Overtime

By this point, my old man was about to have a coronary.....

- Emlen Tunnell

I was going to Trenton State College and pumping gas part time, listening to that Saturday game on the shop radio. Man it was cold outside that day, I remember **** Lynch yelling Giants win! Giants win! Giants win!

I just about busted a blood vessel when they beat the Eagles in the playoff game at the Vet. I had been watching since '69 so that year was a sweet memory for me too.

If anyone can find video of that playoff game you would be my hero!

JOE DANELO WINS IT IN OVERTIME (FINALLY!!!!)

- Emlen Tunnell

Veteran
    I remember watching the game in college. On one of Danello's misses, I was convinced it was good until Pat Summerall announced that he missed. Agonizing game gainst the hated Cowboys. Game was on Saturday and the Giants needed the Jets to beat the Packers the next day for both teams to make the playoffs. I despised the Jets then and still do till this day. Watched the entire game on Sunday with numerous Jets fans and refused to celebrate a single Jets play. When the game ended I ssilently went back to my dorm and when all alone let out a yell that the Giants were in the playoffs.