+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gutsiest Call in NYG History?

I think the 1986 SB Punt formation shift on 4th and inches is the winner and will be the gutsiest NYG call ever. Just saw a clip of it on NFL Network. Man, that was ballsy. We're losing 10-9 at halftime. Our opening drive to start the 2nd half, Parcells calls it. They ran it vs Denver earlier in the yr, and they were not fooled at all during the SB. Rutiledge (sp?) didnt even know if he should run the play bc Denver adjusted to the formation shift so well and werent fooled at all, and looks at Parcells twice as to ask "we shouldnt do this right?" only for parcells to tell him yup do it by nodding his head, do it and it converted.
    That was the springboard for our 2nd half, and we put like 30 points up or something.Landetta credited that fake punt call for the 30 point spring board, but he was on that special teams unit so hes prob a lil biased, ha. Had we punted or failed at that conversion attempt, who knows how the game ends up. That call by Parcells was the shot in the arm that awoke the team...such a gutsy play call
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 12-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.

I've got a better one...

Eli had THR entire Patriots D line hanging on his back...he stays on his feet somehow, escapes and makes a critical decision to heave the ball as far as he can down the middle of the field into double coverage to David Tyree who couldn't catch anything in practice the day before and wins the Super Bowl against a Tom Brady led 18-0 team. LEGENDARY!!!Greatest moment in Giant history...and I was there on the 30 yard line to see it live with my own eyes. LEGENDARY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    Eli had THR entire Patriots D line hanging on his back...he stays on his feet somehow, escapes and makes a critical decision to heave the ball as far as he can down the middle of the field into double coverage to David Tyree who couldn't catch anything in practice the day before and wins the Super Bowl against a Tom Brady led 18-0 team. LEGENDARY!!!Greatest moment in Giant history...and I was there on the 30 yard line to see it live with my own eyes. LEGENDARY!!!
    We don't have a clue who good we have it right now. To be a Giant fan with Eli as our QB!!! PRICELESS!!! That's uncle Ernie and thanks Wellington!!! It's good to be the king!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    That wasn't gutsy at all...it was a normal passing play.

Banned
    I see someone else was also up late and watched NFL Network 10 gutsiest calls ever, lol..........

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I see someone else was also up late and watched NFL Network 10 gutsiest calls ever, lol..........
    Not really the coaches call but more matt dodges call..ready for it?...nah im not gonna say it lol

Im thinking the fake punt that was snapped directly to Gary Reasons in the 1990 NFCCG @ SF. That play netted like 35/40 yards and helped us best the niners and stop the 3peat. Awesome call by Parcells

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IthfQ9q...%3DIthfQ9qFZ_8
    Last edited by miked1958; 12-01-2012 at 03:40 AM.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Veteran
    Eli's play was amazing - maybe greatest in our history but it wasn't a gutsy call at all. As fizzle stated it was just a normal passing play made abnormal by a special player.

Parcells also made many conservative calls to punt and trust the d with very little time left and down in a game that were gutsy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I thinking the fake punt that was snapped directly to Gary Reasons in the 1990 NFCCG @ SF. That play netted like 35/40 yards and helped us best the niners and stop the 3peat. Awesome call by Parcells

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IthfQ9q...%3DIthfQ9qFZ_8
    Winner winner Chicken Dinner

I know this thread is for the gutsiest calls but I have some other favorite PLAYS in history as well.

Bavaro dragging Ronnie Lott and Niner players trying to tackle him getting knocked off like bowling pins.

Ingram dragging like 8 players for a first down...

Marshall/Montana

Gary Reasons Huge hit at goal line on Humpries on 4th down. Came flying over the Line like Superman launching himself at the ball carrier. He had to other huge hits on that drive
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***