+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Giants' Hakeem Nicks Still Out Of Step Following Knee and Foot Injuries

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...still_out.html

Excerpt: "The Giants tried the play no less than four times against the Packers last Sunday night.

The fade route between Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks has been one of their go-to calls, taking advantage of Nicks’ physical playing style and one-on-one match-ups in the end zone.

But none of those attempts were completed for a touchdown. One was tipped by the defense, and another may have been a bit out of reach, but offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride used the missed chances as examples of how Nicks — try as he might — is still not at full strength.

“Still not the same. Not himself, no,” Gilbride said. “He had a couple chances for plays. He would have made those plays easily (if healthy). Easily.”

Nicks has fought through left knee and right foot injuries that have nagged him all season, missing three games and playing the other eight at less than 100 percent. Each of the past few weeks, the fourth-year receiver has said he feels the best he has felt all season, but Gilbride chuckled knowingly.

“Doesn’t he tell you that every week?” Gilbride asked. “Is he convincing you, himself or the opposition?”

But Gilbride appreciates that about Nicks. He has the highest respect for his player’s toughness and his will to be on the field when still hurting.

“You love the fact that he’s trying,” Gilbride said. “He’s fighting his rear end (off). He refused to accept being hurt, and he knows we’re better when he’s out there, and he’s trying to do everything he can. I admire that and everything else, but he’s not the same guy yet as he was, there’s no question about that.”

Those missed fade routes underscored that. The first incompletion was the most glaring to Gilbride, because the ball hit Nicks right in the hands.

In Gilbride’s view, Nicks right now is not used to catching the ball while being jostled — a product of missing most of the spring and summer after fracturing a bone in his foot and really only seeing live action in regular-season games. The knee injury developed in his only 100-yard receiving game of the season, against Tampa Bay in Week 2." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD

5trive for Fiv5

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD
    Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic.
    The final decision is Eli's.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The final decision is Eli's.
    Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass.

Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.

Quote Originally Posted by krygny View Post
    Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass. Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.
    Hixon has been practicing and I hope he's been taking some punts in practice

Randle is actually 2 inches taller and weighs the same as Nicks.,, and he is healthy
    try throwing him the damn fade.
    i don't understand why we don't go to a " tall " spread set in the red zone.....we have the personel.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Or leave Nicks in isolation and have him zig in with a low and inside pass from Eli. At a minimum it will help set up the fade down the road.
    No one remembers who came in second.

With the way the game was going against Green Bay, I don't fault them for trying to get Hakeem back into rhythm on the fade. I don't believe you can completely create real game pressure situations in practice.

They should have Nicks fake the fade and go inside instead. I think they tried to do that on the last play, but Eli's ball was tipped.
    I thought we had something special!!!