+ Reply to Thread

Locklear's Heritage Resonates For Redskins' Game

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...oeCsuFxEkRHwaL

Excerpt: "Giants offensive tackle Sean Locklear was about 12 years old when his mother, Effie, gave him a Starter hat with a Redskins logo on it. He cherished the gift.

“Back then Starter was everything,” Locklear said yesterday inside the Giants locker room at the Timex Performance Center. “I wound up losing it. I think somebody stole it.”

His connection with the Redskins runs deeper than just being a childhood fan. Locklear’s mother is full-blooded Native American, a member of the Lumbee Tribe in Lumberton, N.C., where Locklear was raised. Sean attended pow-wows as a kid. He also has ridden in parades and as an adult has sat in on meetings where tribal leaders continue their quest to be federally recognized.

The Lumbee Tribe dates back to 1885 with ancestors as far back as the 1700s, but it never has benefited from the financial perks a treaty with the United States would bring.

“That’s one thing that we’ve been fighting for and continue to fight for is getting federal recognition,” said Locklear, whose father is African-American. “It’s all about documentation, and we have documents that go back only so far of where our people actually came from.”

The Giants (7-4) play the Redskins (5-6) on Monday Night at FedEx Field in a matchup that always is going to be special for Locklear.

There’s the connection from when he cheered for the Redskins as a kid. There’s the year he spent in Washington last season. The nine-year veteran called it a good experience, though he signed with the Giants during the offseason and has become a valuable contributor to an offensive line that has needed shuffling.

After opening the season as the starting left tackle because of an injury to Will Beatty, Locklear figures to start at right tackle Monday if David Diehl can’t go because of a neck burner. Locklear took all the reps with the first team yesterday.

“I didn’t know I was going to practice there until they told me just before we went out,” Locklear said. “You just have to be ready.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Banned
    Locklear appears to be playing pretty well for the Giants. This is a little surprising, because he couldn't block his shadow in Washington. Glad to see him turn things around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
    Locklear appears to be playing pretty well for the Giants. This is a little surprising, because he couldn't block his shadow in Washington. Glad to see him turn things around a bit.
    Perhaps the most pleasant surprise on the team this year?? I could put Prince there as well, coming off not much last year, but he is a #1 afterall and is expected to deliver big. Locklear, to most fans, was just some guy we picked up to add depth and he has far surpassed that. Go Blue!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro
    seems to be a good fit for him at RT....
    lets hope he has a great game....they need it
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch