+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's fault is it that the players come out flat? Coughlin, or are they just un-motivatable?

I've been thinking, there have been times when the Giants have been flat out out-coached and schemed, like the Seattle disaster from 2006, and the Colts disaster last year.

however, during the early Coughlin era, the players *****ed about him being too tough, but they came out to play. in 2004, the players generally gave good effort, especially the Steeler game. in 2005 they also came out to play, the Denver game, Seattle game, it was mostly linebacker issues that tanked that year.

2006 i think was mostly a failure of talent and coaching, primarily from the coordinators, and Eli still being raw.

2007 the team hung together

2008 began the deterioration of the old Coughlin Giants. O'Hara, Pierce, Fred Robbins, Madison, McQuarters, Toomer, Danny Clark. A lot of established veterans on the team began losing a step, or were on their way out, all no nonsense, high motor leaders. say what you want about the plaxico nonsense, the team had a certain strength and power to them, and once december came around, the Giants weren't knocking anybody off the ball.

its in 2009 and 2010 that you start seeing all the blowouts and defeats in the 1st quarter. but you have to look at the team, and compare the players. on offense, who were the captains? Amani Toomer, Steve Smith and Eli? now who are they, Manningham, who is an idiot, and Nicks, who is always hurt?

on defense it used to be Robbins, Strahan, Pierce, Danny Clark, Madison. now who is it, Tuck, who's afraid to play, then Osi? Rolle (who talks better than he tackles)?

Maybe the problem is that Jerry has been stocking the team with a bunch of weakling premadonnas who want to live the good life in NY, like Kerry Rhodes. I've always felt that Coughlin's problem was that he doesn't have enough control. he doesn't personally command one area of the team the way Belichick or Fox takes control of the defense, he's way to reliant on coordinators to manage the team. And I don't think, as a disciplinarian Parcells disciple, he gets rid of cancers and keeps the team in line. We haven't seen him get rid of problems the way Belichick did with Seymour and others (and actually make profit off them to boot!). Seymour *****es? gone. Moss is *****ing? gone. he doesn't mess around. Osi has been a problem for 2 years now, Rolle gets to keep on antagonizing division rivals off the field.

you know, 2009 was a disaster, but i thought it was a fluke. and then the team quit after the eagles, and i thought now was the chance for Coughlin to get rid of these cancers and plug in some new players as he saw fit. now that its still going on and the same players are still here, i don't know what should be done. i don't think the giants will fire Tom, but there needs to be a lot of personnel moves, and staffing moves next year. these players have run their course, and to keep trying the same thing with them is insanity.

All-Pro

Re: Who's fault is it that the players come out flat? Coughlin, or are they just un-motivatable?

its everyones fault if they come out flat......

from the Owners to the freaking water and towel boys.

If they dont come out pumped and ready the whole team collectively are losers.....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Re: Who's fault is it that the players come out flat? Coughlin, or are they just un-motivatable?

Its Like you said. Sitting back and waiting for the pimple to errupt rather than just getting rid of it upon its first sign.

Justin Tuck should have been put on IR. Tell me how last season Victor Cruz was put on IR for a hangnail and Tuck gets drag *** all over the field. If he's so damn hurt then let him watch the games at home. Instead he gets to hang out and mope and mumble to the press.

Justin Tuck is an engery sucker.

Perry Fewell should have been on very short leash this season after what happened against Philly last year. Is that even an acceptable term anymore? Meaning...If your defense performs like that again FIND A NEW JOB! Accountability.

JR spent money and made moves to IMPROVE the offensive line but the offensive line got worse. Who's accountable for that? Pat apparently isn't because he has a shining reputation.

Special teams don't produce. Who's accountable?

Manningham runs the route or drops a pass and he's not accountable.

We have but 1 player on our team who is accountable and that's the QB. Because if he ****s up everyone pisses and moans incesantly. Everyone else gets just play half assed and everyone Tom Coughling included looks the other way.

I've been saying Chris Canty takes plays off. Sooo he takes plays off and there's no action taken to rectify this issue.

My coach made us run this steep *** hill if we loafed on a drill in practice.

If you loafed on a play in the game you came out of the game.

Couglin is supposed to have all these principles and he can be a hardass when it comes to his curfew or his meetings but when someone's not performing on the field he doesn't do anything.

If Coughlin is this task master then tell me why he puts up with Justin Tuck. If I was Coughlin I'd march right into the doctors office and say "What the hell is MEDICALLY wrong with this player?" If the doctor can't come up with a damn good answer then Tuck would have hell to pay. I know for damn sure I wouldn't have the guy halfassed paticipating in practice and then in the game playing 1 down then going to the sideline for a damn massage!

Someone should let Tuck know that those guys are NFL trainers not Vietnamese masseuses.

The team coming out flat is on the Coaches because they tolerate the team coming out flat.

Coaches who don't put up with that crap...don't put up with that crap.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Veteran

[quote user="GameTime"]

If they dont come out pumped and ready* the whole team collectively are losers.....

[/quote]

Agree.

I'd blame the players first, and then the coordinators, and finally, Coughlin.

But, if Baas starts, and Petrus is benched, and they come out flat on offense, I'm going to put all the blame on Coughlin.

I've always thought one of the main jobs of a head coach was to motivate the team to play. If he's not able to do it then we're in a lot of trouble.

These are professional players who are paid millions to do their job. If they can't get motivated already on their own by themselves - with or without a coach - something's majorly wrong.

It the coaches job to put the player in the right position to make plays. This coaching staff has not done that most of the year. How can you get beat by teams that have Rex Grossman(2X), Taveris Jackson and Vince Young as their OB. The only game Vince Young won was against the Giants. Caughlin and crew were completely out coached in all 4 four games. We should have easily beaten these teams and be 11-3 not 7-7. Even if we only lost 2 of the games we are 9-5 with the Eagles out of the picture.
    Also the injuries are happening because the players are out of position and play with poor technique especially when tackling. How many times have you seen a player make a tackle and get up hurt.

[quote user="JMFP2"][quote user="GameTime"]

If they dont come out pumped and ready* the whole team collectively are losers.....

[/quote]

Agree.

I'd blame the players first, and then the coordinators, and finally, Coughlin.

But, if Baas starts, and Petrus is benched, and they come out flat on offense, I'm going to put all the blame on Coughlin.[/quote]

I am hoping DD and Petrus stay where they are Baas is back at center. Boothe has done a decent job but it's only a matter of time before one of his wild snaps costs them big.

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating here....Bill Parcells once said"this is the Superbowl....If these guys can't get motivated for this they need to find a new profession.(sorry if it is not the exact quote,,,but it is close)

Coaches can motivate to an extent....but in the end the players have to motivate themselves.
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

It's not WHO, but WHAT. Its called money, they get it whether they play well or not. It may not be labeled correctly calling it flat it's more "I don't give a crap, gimme the money."