+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good article on how to defend RG3

Full link here....

http://www.chicagotr...,6299566.column

This is the part I found most interesting....and this is what I mentioned elsewhere that Fewell should have done (played the option assuming RG3 retains the ball).

.......As for the read-option offense he's running in Washington? Enjoy it while it lasts.

Three quarterbacks who have busts in Canton, each of whom has been duly impressed by Griffin this season, say that read-option offense — as effective as it has been — isn't sustainable over the long haul. The Washington star needs to start sliding and running out of bounds more to protect his body.

"Yeah, it's the element of surprise right now, but you're going to get teams that say, 'Who cares about the dive back, go directly at RG. Even if he doesn't have the football, and he's riding the guy? Hit him anyway,'" said Jim Kelly, Hall of Famer for the Buffalo Bills. "I would do that if I was the defensive coach. I would say, 'If he's going to run the option, make him pay for it.'

"This is not a league for a quarterback to want to run the football. Look at Michael Vick. The guy is one of the greatest athletes to ever play that position. Sooner or later, you're going to get hit a couple times too many, and all of a sudden you're going to start getting gun-shy."

Kelly and Griffin spent time together at the Davey O'Brien Awards last year, when Griffin won the National Quarterback Award, and Kelly received the Legends Award.

"He's just a great character kid," Kelly said. "His background, I got to meet his parents, and just knowing what type of work ethic he has … Right now that offense is a big asset for them. But I don't think that's an offense that you're going to see a lot in the future, because it puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback in the running game. I'd be a little more worried than anything."
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

they held him to 17 points....not bad...
    they should have won...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    they should have won...
    +1

I wouldn't be surpised if DC's start going with Jim Kelly's advice.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    they should have won...
    eh if RG wanted to score anywhere from 20-28 points, he could have.

Most of that low score was us holding the ball for a majority of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    eh if RG wanted to score anywhere from 20-28 points, he could have.

Most of that low score was us holding the ball for a majority of the game.
    Agreed......the point Jim Kelly is trying to make is that system comes with a cost.

I remember it wasn't long ago that people were saying the same thing about Michael Vick.

I think RG3 has more upside than Vick due to his passing ability......but the point remains the same......if you are going to run a system like Shanahan's, it's going to eventually take a bigger physical toll on the QB than a conventional offense.

- Emlen Tunnell

I don't like the Vick, RGIII comparisons. They don't really have much in common besides being fast and able to run the football.

"Who cares about the dive back", eh? So that's the answer? I bet Alfred Morris wholeheartedly agrees with that strategy!

Pretty good article. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I wouldn't be surpised if DC's start going with Jim Kelly's advice.
    honestly, that is what I have been saying all year. I don't want RG3 hurt, but if they run that offense, hit em every single time. Make him pay. RG3 started crying a bit early on in the year that he was getting hit too often. Make him pay.

5trive for Fiv5

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    honestly, that is what I have been saying all year. I don't want RG3 hurt, but if they run that offense, hit em every single time. Make him pay. RG3 started crying a bit early on in the year that he was getting hit too often. Make him pay.
    Exactly.....Alfred Morris is a good back....but he's benefitting from the guesswork involved in the option. Next time around, I hope the Giants key on RG3 every single play.....it's not roughing the passer if it's a designed run and the RG3 is trying to disguise who is holding the ball.

Parcells or Belichick certainly wouldn't agree to play a game of hide and seek with RG3....they'd treat him like they treated Joe Montana.

- Emlen Tunnell