+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

My take on the game

Since everyone's sharing their pissed off opinion of the game, I might as well share mine.

First things first, we have to give props to the Redskins organization for coming prepared. They saw that our pass rush was beginning to click based on the GB game and did all they could to nullify it; and it worked. RGIII made one good decision after another to put his team in a chance to win so you have to give him props for that.

Now let's play the blame game. I think if you looked at the stat sheet, the stats would be misleading. Based on the stat sheet you would probably assume, barring penalties, we played a pretty balanced game. 33 pass attempts and 26 or 27 rushing plays seems well balanced. But this is what drove me mad: WHEN we called pass plays and WHEN we called running plays. I felt as if the Giants were rushing on obvious passing downs or rushing on obvious passing downs. Every time Eli would get into a rhythm we would run 2 plays in a row, kinda grinds my gears. Now I'd like to blame someone for it but to be honest we probably will never find the culprit. I'd assume everyone was at least a little bit at fault. I want to blame KG but I don't if he called the better play and Eli audibled out of it or I wanted to blame Eli but I wouldn't know if that was the play KG told him to run and he didn't audible out of it. I feel as if we didn't come thoroughly prepared for WASH defense. Eli doesn't usually get this fluttered by a defense; either the preparation was bad or he was seeing something he never saw. Btw how come we never run any strectch plays? Why is everything up the gut? For the most part Alfred Morris and RG3 got most of their yardage on sideline runs.

I'm a firm believer in a balanced attack but if a situation calls for a more pass heavy offense then I would assume most people got that route. I really wished we threw a lot more than we ran. Washington was ranked near the bottom in pass defense and what do we do? We run the ball. Now don't get me wrong, I like it when we run the ball but I felt the pass to run ration should've been a lot larger considering the defense we were going up against. I mean for heaven's sake London Fletcher was in pass coverage! He's a beast in stopping the run but a liability in the pass game. We should've went to Marty B or Pascoe a lot more. You know create mismatches.

I think the defense played in spurts. They would have moments of great defense and other moments where they were as undisciplined as you get. That play option offense is driving me crazy. I'm sure there is someway around it. Maybe if the DE or LB added a bit of subtlety to their technique. What I mean is that the play option is predicated on what the pass rusher will do: widen or go inside. The QB analyzes the situation and acts accordingly. Since the game moves at such a fast pace, the decision must be made in a split second. So I was thinking why don't they fake an inside move real quick as if they're attacking the rush so the QB will bite and hold the ball to pass and than go back out to pass rush the QB. I guess the defense played in a half emply/half full way. They kept the explosive Redskins offense to 17 points but gave up insane amounts of rushing yards including that last run that ended the game.

All three phases of the game were ill-prepared and did not come to play. -Sigh-

Eh but what do I know? I'm just a armchair coach that's ranting away.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Veteran
    I'm not sure I agree with your assessment on the pass vs. run. I was personally glad to see the Giants attempt to run the ball more. I think they have had a tendency to get too pass happy in recent games, and that has resulted in some bad things most notably failure to pick up third and short with passing plays. Also when the Redskins don't have to worry about the run game Eli was getting pressure like at the end of the fourth quarter. So you have to be able to run the ball. This is still a problem for the G-men. I think the problem is still execution in the running game. Bradshaw, who is a tough little cookie, still on occasion does not follow his blocking, and although he is strong for a little guy, he does not have the size to make something when nothing is there like Alfred Morris. I think Andre Brown is a big loss. The lack of a consistent running game as well as penalties put Eli in a lot of third and long situations. Not good. Special teams penalties on almost every return is unacceptable. You can't start every drive on the 10 yard line.

Everyone gives RG3 too much credit in my opinion. Yes he is an amazing talent with his speed and ability to get away from on-rushers and extend plays, but I think the reason he is so successful is that he has a beast in the backfield in Morris who last night would rarely run for less then four or five yards, and after the Giants stuffed him for no gain, he ran for 12 yards on the next play. This guy is a punishing runner who is very hard to bring down. This guy makes Brandon Jacobs look like a little boy as far as being a road grader type of running back, and he has speed too. The problem is that if you try to key on Morris, then RG3 will kill you, and vise-verse. I see this Washington team being very hard for the G-men to contend with in the future if these to guys stay healthy. However this league has a way of figuring out how to stop teams eventually, and hopefully we will learn how to stop this option crap. Personally I think you have to force RG3 to run, and beat the crap out of him, and eventually he will turn into Michael Vick, insignificant.

But until our defense can dictate the game to the redskins instead of their offense dictating to our defense, our team will be in trouble. Unless we become a consistent quick score big play offense like the Patriots of last year, who could win even though their defense got big yards rolled up on them.

Fair enough. However, this might the sore loser in me, but I don't think Alfred Morris is that great as well. I think he's a product of his great offensive line and scheme, as well as potency of the Redskins' read option. Otherwise I think he's just an above average tough nosed rb, nothing special.

Man I remember when Canty was out of the lineup how everybody thought that he was going to improve rush defense. It's improved a little bit but not drastically as we hoped. The DTs gotta get it together as well as the DEs. Whenever the opponent runs a stretch play we simply can't defend it without giving up major yardage. But when we run it, we always get 1 yard or tackled for no gain or for a loss. It's insane I tell you.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”