+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: What I see as a common denominator

  1. #11
    All-Pro CDN_G-FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,592
    The up-and-down nature of this team is unique in the NFL, and is frustrating as a fan, but here's my two cents:

    1. the fact that we're doing this well without a real running game for the last few years is simply amazing. AMAZING. They know we're going to pass, they don't respect our run, and we still put up more than our fair share of points.

    2. the red zone struggles are a direct result of not being able to run the ball IMHO. If i'm a DC, why defend the run or respect a handoff if you're playing the Giants? Sure if we're on the 1 we can get in, but on the 15? a front 7 can stop our rushing attack easy and there's no room to pass at all on a 25 yard field. Other teams without a decent rushing attack (GB, NE) either have a mobile QB or have TEs that cause massive matchup problems. We don't have those players and no one has to respect our run.

    3. This defense was built on a massive 4 man pass rush, and coverage in the back end that would the turnover advantage of that passrush. For whatever reason, the passrush has been overestimated, and the LBers and secondary weren't put together with the idea that they'd be shouldering more of the defensive load.

    4. Fans continue to think of this Washington team as a 'bottom half of the NFL' type of squad. Well, stop it. They're not, and they've quickly replaced both the Eagles and Cowboys as our biggest threat in the division. Wait till they get their passrushers back.

    5. This is evidence that the Tom Coughlin way of playing football still gets lost on this squad. This team gets away from what they should be doing (execution, smart football, ball security, disipline) and we lose. String a few of those together and they start listening again to the boring yet incredibley effective mantra this team preaches.

  2. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    The thing is that Eli is more naturally talented than Peyton and Brady..
    uh, what?!?!

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    uh, what?!?!
    I said more natural talent. Problem is, as I said in the rest of my post that you conveniently left out, he gets so bipolar sometimes like the rest of this team that the natural talent doesn't translate into real talent over a long period of time... if Eli played up to his true potential, that being the way he did in the last 2 minutes of SB42 and countless other spurts since then, except all the time, he would be greater than Montana at this point. It's that jekyll and hyde nature that downgrades Eli from "Best QB to ever play football" to "decent-to-good QB"...

    Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I said more natural talent. Problem is, as I said in the rest of my post that you conveniently left out, he gets so bipolar sometimes like the rest of this team that the natural talent doesn't translate into real talent over a long period of time... if Eli played up to his true potential, that being the way he did in the last 2 minutes of SB42 and countless other spurts since then, except all the time, he would be greater than Montana at this point. It's that jekyll and hyde nature that downgrades Eli from "Best QB to ever play football" to "decent-to-good QB"...
    I honestly would rather have Eli over Brady and Peyton if the team is down by a score with 2:00 minutes left in the game
    Last edited by Broadway Blue; 12-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    Somebody is not doing their part to get the players amped up properly before the games. Its as if we enetered the game thinking..... "I sure hope we can contain RGIII" ...... instead of "We are going to make sure RGIII is picking himself up out of the dirt all day long".
    ^^^ True
    They have to start Sunday, To turn things around, or they will be in deep trouble !



    Thereís always somebody saying the Giants canít do it, and those people have to be ignored.

    Never underestimate the GIANTS !

  6. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    The up-and-down nature of this team is unique in the NFL, and is frustrating as a fan, but here's my two cents:

    1. the fact that we're doing this well without a real running game for the last few years is simply amazing. AMAZING. They know we're going to pass, they don't respect our run, and we still put up more than our fair share of points.

    2. the red zone struggles are a direct result of not being able to run the ball IMHO. If i'm a DC, why defend the run or respect a handoff if you're playing the Giants? Sure if we're on the 1 we can get in, but on the 15? a front 7 can stop our rushing attack easy and there's no room to pass at all on a 25 yard field. Other teams without a decent rushing attack (GB, NE) either have a mobile QB or have TEs that cause massive matchup problems. We don't have those players and no one has to respect our run.

    3. This defense was built on a massive 4 man pass rush, and coverage in the back end that would the turnover advantage of that passrush. For whatever reason, the passrush has been overestimated, and the LBers and secondary weren't put together with the idea that they'd be shouldering more of the defensive load.

    4. Fans continue to think of this Washington team as a 'bottom half of the NFL' type of squad. Well, stop it. They're not, and they've quickly replaced both the Eagles and Cowboys as our biggest threat in the division. Wait till they get their passrushers back.

    5. This is evidence that the Tom Coughlin way of playing football still gets lost on this squad. This team gets away from what they should be doing (execution, smart football, ball security, disipline) and we lose. String a few of those together and they start listening again to the boring yet incredibley effective mantra this team preaches.
    All great points.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeEli View Post
    We all gripe and moan, but this team has given us more wins the past 7 years than any of us could have wished for.

    Oh yeah, and 2 SB rings.

    Not every team is going to be that Patriots dynasty. Cmon guys.
    And also they have given us more embarrassment that we could have wished for during that time. "Not every team is going to be that Patriots dynasty" So what made the Pats a dynasty? The thinking that they CANNOT be a dynasty or the thinking that they CAN be a dynasty? Why can't the Giants be a dynasty? Is it because we do not have the talent or because we do not think we could be a dynasty? It all starts with Coaching my friends. How well does you coach use the available talent? How well does the coach plan for the game? How well, does the coach makes adjustments during the game? And how does the coach react to the players not executing and putting in a serious effort?

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gfanblue View Post
    I have read a TON of posts here since Monday nights disappointing showing in D.C. What I've collectively gathered from many frustrated fans is this.


    1. While we all enjoy the SB wins recently, we see the potential this team has being wasted.
    2. Inconsistency. PERIOD! How do you shellack the Pack and lay down and die for the Skins?
    3.Excuses. Nobody seems to say "hey, you know what? I have effed up...." It's always the same ho-hum attitude (except Rolle)

    Bottom line. This team in the last 9 years or so under TC has ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS played down to the competition. If its against a hot team like the Saints in the dome, hell we may lose by 8 or 9 but we'll still put 35 on em. At least play hard every game. I would prefer if they scrapped and clawed and fought every single game then to just go through the motions out there and do this up and down garbage every frickin year. Is Fassell around? He'd be a good OC
    I agree with you completely! honestly, dude this team seems to be playing lifeless. its sad because i miss the old tuck, playing his heart out on D. Bradshaw still shows flashes but i remember that tenacity of just carrying the team... we need some sort of spark.

  9. #19
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Blue View Post
    I honestly would rather have Eli over Brady and Peyton if the team is down by a score with 2:00 minutes left in the game
    That could be because Peyton and Brady are down by a score at the end of the game a lot less than Eli is... LOL

    Nothing against Eli, I like him, but given a choice between the 3 with all other factors being equal, I would take Peyton, then Brady, then Eli. And the biggest reason why? Because those other two are rarely trying to mount a comeback, they are usually winning.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  10. #20
    To CDN_G-FAN
    1. the fact that we're doing this well without a real running game for the last few years is simply amazing. AMAZING. They know we're going to pass, they don't respect our run, and we still put up more than our fair share of points.
    Counter point: Other teams had success without a running game: For example, the Pats, GB, NO, even the Cards made it to the SB without a serious running game. They just had coaching staff that recognized their weakness and took advantage of their strengths.

    2. the red zone struggles are a direct result of not being able to run the ball IMHO. If i'm a DC, why defend the run or respect a handoff if you're playing the Giants? Sure if we're on the 1 we can get in, but on the 15? a front 7 can stop our rushing attack easy and there's no room to pass at all on a 25 yard field. Other teams without a decent rushing attack (GB, NE) either have a mobile QB or have TEs that cause massive matchup problems. We don't have those players and no one has to respect our run.
    Counter point: Opposing DC's are defending the run because they know that's what the Giants call inside the 30. The troubling thing is that we call runs up the middle. If you go back and see the run TD's we scored not from the 1-2 yard line but further back, most all of them have come from the sides rather than the middle. Yet, the coaching staff insists on calling runs up the middle. Too predictable. No misdirection, no play action, no creativity.

    3. This defense was built on a massive 4 man pass rush, and coverage in the back end that would the turnover advantage of that passrush. For whatever reason, the passrush has been overestimated, and the LBers and secondary weren't put together with the idea that they'd be shouldering more of the defensive load.
    Counterpoint: Opposing OC's have figured out a protection scheme that takes away the pass rush of the Giants. Besides the Giants are not doing any creative pass rushing scheme and the players have not been taught to stay disciplined.

    4. Fans continue to think of this Washington team as a 'bottom half of the NFL' type of squad. Well, stop it. They're not, and they've quickly replaced both the Eagles and Cowboys as our biggest threat in the division. Wait till they get their passrushers back.
    Counterpoint: if the Giants play up to their potential, they can beat the teams in our division easily. The only time we lose is when the Giants team does not show up.

    5. This is evidence that the Tom Coughlin way of playing football still gets lost on this squad. This team gets away from what they should be doing (execution, smart football, ball security, disipline) and we lose. String a few of those together and they start listening again to the boring yet incredibley effective mantra this team preaches.
    Counterpoint: And that is happening very often. Any one wonders why? And what is Coughlin doing about it? Preaching and practicing is not the same thing. Why is the pattern repeated every year since Coughlin has been here?

    Bottom line is: We know what kind of football the Giants have the potential of playing. Is it too much to ask that they bring their "A" game in every game? Is it to much to ask that, win or lose, they put their best effort in every game? Why do we have to settle for mediocrity?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts