+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I see as a common denominator

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That could be because Peyton and Brady are down by a score at the end of the game a lot less than Eli is... LOL

Nothing against Eli, I like him, but given a choice between the 3 with all other factors being equal, I would take Peyton, then Brady, then Eli. And the biggest reason why? Because those other two are rarely trying to mount a comeback, they are usually winning.
    And if they do somehow find themselves losing, they have a difficult time digging themselves out of the hole.

Only the Giants players themselves know why they don't play with the same intensity week in, week out, Being world champs, they should know they are gonna get that opposing team's best effort & that beating the champs will be the highlight of some team's season. If we bring our A game every week & another team beats us, it'll suck, but at least I can accept it, but when we don't bring our A game, especially against inferior teams & they beat us by 1 or 2 points or like the Bengals, pound us, that leads to many a sleepless night for me!

We lost 3 games to Philly/Pitt/Skins by a total of 7 freaking points! Games we should have won. 10-2 ends up being 7-5 & fighting for our playoff lives.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    The up-and-down nature of this team is unique in the NFL, and is frustrating as a fan, but here's my two cents:

1. the fact that we're doing this well without a real running game for the last few years is simply amazing. AMAZING. They know we're going to pass, they don't respect our run, and we still put up more than our fair share of points.

2. the red zone struggles are a direct result of not being able to run the ball IMHO. If i'm a DC, why defend the run or respect a handoff if you're playing the Giants? Sure if we're on the 1 we can get in, but on the 15? a front 7 can stop our rushing attack easy and there's no room to pass at all on a 25 yard field. Other teams without a decent rushing attack (GB, NE) either have a mobile QB or have TEs that cause massive matchup problems. We don't have those players and no one has to respect our run.

3. This defense was built on a massive 4 man pass rush, and coverage in the back end that would the turnover advantage of that passrush. For whatever reason, the passrush has been overestimated, and the LBers and secondary weren't put together with the idea that they'd be shouldering more of the defensive load.

4. Fans continue to think of this Washington team as a 'bottom half of the NFL' type of squad. Well, stop it. They're not, and they've quickly replaced both the Eagles and Cowboys as our biggest threat in the division. Wait till they get their passrushers back.

5. This is evidence that the Tom Coughlin way of playing football still gets lost on this squad. This team gets away from what they should be doing (execution, smart football, ball security, disipline) and we lose. String a few of those together and they start listening again to the boring yet incredibley effective mantra this team preaches.
    The next Giant with a hard to pronounce name should be a defensive tackle from a Pacific Island.....Somoa, Tonga, Figi, whatever. We need some piss and vinegar on this team.

Enough with the "skill" players....I want defensive tackles, offensive linemen, and linebackers.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    And also they have given us more embarrassment that we could have wished for during that time. "Not every team is going to be that Patriots dynasty" So what made the Pats a dynasty? The thinking that they CANNOT be a dynasty or the thinking that they CAN be a dynasty? Why can't the Giants be a dynasty? Is it because we do not have the talent or because we do not think we could be a dynasty? It all starts with Coaching my friends. How well does you coach use the available talent? How well does the coach plan for the game? How well, does the coach makes adjustments during the game? And how does the coach react to the players not executing and putting in a serious effort?
    Your response goes to exactly the point that this poster is trying to convey. This is one of the most frustrating parts of being a fan of thne Giants today. They never perform up to their potential. ANd it starts with the coaching staff. They set the tone of whats acceptable and what's not. I have the second half of the skins game on the TV now and if I watch anyone of the Giants O linemen stop in the middle of a block once more... I'll scream!!! I watched snee do it, boothe does it constantly and baas well he never blocks anyone. No one holds any of these guys accountable for their game. Thats why Rolles comments are right on... Including himself. Its not always the dog... Its the fight in the dog that matters. And if your dog starts out accepting less than perfection than you'll continue to get lousy effort and a poor work ethic. Don't even start talking about a dynasty. This team has been way to busy reading their press clippings, including the coaches. A moran see we have no running game but why momo? Because of their attitude, thats the problem
    Its been like this ever since TC came on board. The team never comes out with the same passion and fire every week. It was so noticeable Monday night, they played decent ball for 30 minutes, then... They went to sleep. No way this team was ready to play 60 minutes and they took a L for their effort. This is why the entire team is like this and its not only one part of the team. So we'll be good, even sometimes we'll play our best and win Super Bowls but nothing changes if nothing changes. Oh, don't worry about the dynasty, yet

even though i dont feel we played as hard as we needed to. we did actually only allow 17pts, 7 of which was a fluke flumble recovery. add on the fact we went back to settling for fgs instead of tds. we beat the pack the way we did by scoring tds.

Quote Originally Posted by bearbryant View Post
    Your response goes to exactly the point that this poster is trying to convey. This is one of the most frustrating parts of being a fan of thne Giants today. They never perform up to their potential. ANd it starts with the coaching staff. They set the tone of whats acceptable and what's not. I have the second half of the skins game on the TV now and if I watch anyone of the Giants O linemen stop in the middle of a block once more... I'll scream!!! I watched snee do it, boothe does it constantly and baas well he never blocks anyone. No one holds any of these guys accountable for their game. Thats why Rolles comments are right on... Including himself. Its not always the dog... Its the fight in the dog that matters. And if your dog starts out accepting less than perfection than you'll continue to get lousy effort and a poor work ethic. Don't even start talking about a dynasty. This team has been way to busy reading their press clippings, including the coaches. A moran see we have no running game but why momo? Because of their attitude, thats the problem
    Its been like this ever since TC came on board. The team never comes out with the same passion and fire every week. It was so noticeable Monday night, they played decent ball for 30 minutes, then... They went to sleep. No way this team was ready to play 60 minutes and they took a L for their effort. This is why the entire team is like this and its not only one part of the team. So we'll be good, even sometimes we'll play our best and win Super Bowls but nothing changes if nothing changes. Oh, don't worry about the dynasty, yet
    im perplexed. i thought this yr would be like 08. i thought that the team would know the level of play each snap required to be a champion, they did so for that 6 game win streak that got us the sb. they know what is required. them not achieving it is either a talent or a coaching issue or both possibly. ur right, this team doesnt come out fired up and ready to play consistently like they do for streaks.
    ever notice how we almost always have two winning streaks a season? we're king of the 5 game win streaks. its just when the streak is broken, we go from incredibly hot to incredibly cold and lose 3-4 in a row, only to start another streak.
    when we won the sb, the 2nd win streak started at the perfect time. it could end up happening again easily. dont let people tell u otherwise, we've seen eli just go on these 6 game streaks where he kills it. truth be told, he'd kill it non stop but imo our inconsistencies lay in the fact that not all phases show up, and eli knowing this tries to do way too much and it leads to horrid output from every unit...
    but i could see us losing to N.O, then winning the final 3 to make the playoffs, and then go onto to win it all again

My dad always says "the Giants dont play to win, they play to not lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Parademon View Post
    Only the Giants players themselves know why they don't play with the same intensity week in, week out, Being world champs, they should know they are gonna get that opposing team's best effort & that beating the champs will be the highlight of some team's season. If we bring our A game every week & another team beats us, it'll suck, but at least I can accept it, but when we don't bring our A game, especially against inferior teams & they beat us by 1 or 2 points or like the Bengals, pound us, that leads to many a sleepless night for me!

We lost 3 games to Philly/Pitt/Skins by a total of 7 freaking points! Games we should have won. 10-2 ends up being 7-5 & fighting for our playoff lives.

If this was a one or two year phenomina I might agree with you; but this has been consistent over the entire Coughlin era. His teams, regardless of personnel have choked in the second half. The problem that I see is that at a point, after listening to Coughlin for 10-12 weeks, the players just get sick of it and tune him out. Coughlin has no influence on his own teams after the midway point of the season. They reach a point where they need some external stimulous to get focused to play. In 2007 it was the army vet speaking to them before every game. The guy inspired the players, and they responded. Last year the All In theme caught their attention and they responded; but I think that was more player led than Coughlin led. This year we saw the kid come in and tell them to play like the champions they are, and they slaughtered Green Bay. The Sandy Hook kids were in the stadium Sunday, and they played like crazy for them; but they don't play for Coughlin late in the year. When Coughlin says he has no clue why his players do what they do, he's telling the truth, and there my friends is the heart of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    If this was a one or two year phenomina I might agree with you; but this has been consistent over the entire Coughlin era. His teams, regardless of personnel have choked in the second half. The problem that I see is that at a point, after listening to Coughlin for 10-12 weeks, the players just get sick of it and tune him out. Coughlin has no influence on his own teams after the midway point of the season. They reach a point where they need some external stimulous to get focused to play. In 2007 it was the army vet speaking to them before every game. The guy inspired the players, and they responded. Last year the All In theme caught their attention and they responded; but I think that was more player led than Coughlin led. This year we saw the kid come in and tell them to play like the champions they are, and they slaughtered Green Bay. The Sandy Hook kids were in the stadium Sunday, and they played like crazy for them; but they don't play for Coughlin late in the year. When Coughlin says he has no clue why his players do what they do, he's telling the truth, and there my friends is the heart of the problem.
    I will always like TC for what he's done here. He's developed players like Tiki. He's won the heart of guys like Strahan. He has proven to be a winner. No you can't win every game,it's football. But, you can be a contender and that's what is frustrating. They aren't consistently playing to the level they can.

Bottom line if you are a true athlete you should not need to get motivated to play!!!!! The determination and motivation what one lives for. I do not see many on this team that have that type of attitude. Smiling on the sidelines while your team is getting it's tail kicked is not what an athlete is about. I hated to lose when I played and hate to lose in anything I do. We need to find more players that will run through brick walls and have a nasty edge to them.

+ Reply to Thread