+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prince Stepping Up To The Plate

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...p-to-the-plate

Excerpt: "At first, Perry Fewell needed to see something extra from cornerback Prince Amukamara.

"I was very leery, I (was) saying, 'I want more out of Prince, I want him to do this, I want him to do that,'" Fewell said Thursday.

After reviewing tape during the bye week, though, the Giants' defensive coordinator had a change of heart.

"Although he needs to be better technique-wise, hes really progressed and done some nice things," Fewell said. "Can he be better and can he be more dominant? I think he can and I think he wants to be. He is gaining experience. Im just letting him grow, mature and learn even more. I think Prince is going to be a pretty good football player for us."

Since becoming a starter in the fourth week of the season, Amukamara has shown flashes of why the Giants selected him in the first round of last year's draft. The cornerback hasn't been hampered by injuries, which slowed him throughout his rookie season and even through the first few weeks of this year.

"I'd agree with them that I have been improving and am starting to feel comfortable out there," Amukamara said.

The cornerback came to the Giants with high expectations, but his rookie year didn't go as planned. He missed the team's first nine games with a broken left foot, and then struggled when he came back. While he played during the Super Bowl run, he didn't showcase the talent that made him one of the draft's top corners.

This year, things got off to a tough start once again as he missed time in the spring after an injection in his foot, and then suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason. Giants general manager Jerry Reese even seemed to challenge Amukamara, saying he expected him to play like a first-round draft pick this season." Read more...
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

I am happy Prince has been playing fairly consistent and well this season. One of our CB need to step it up, because it certainly isn't Corey Webster.
    Adversity makes for a worthy adversary.

Yeah he's been great. It's funny though every announcer that does our games always says that he has been struggling this year....I'm always like do these guys even know what they are talking about. I don't think they do, cause they usually don't even say Prince's name through the whole game, unless he is making a big play for us. That should tell them something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    Yeah he's been great. It's funny though every announcer that does our games always says that he has been struggling this year....I'm always like do these guys even know what they are talking about. I don't think they do, cause they usually don't even say Prince's name through the whole game, unless he is making a big play for us. That should tell them something.
    They say **** like "the QB is gonna try to attack Amukamara" or "IMa lil surprised the team is not trying to target Amukamara" SMH teams aren't targeting him bc he's been solid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Notorious B.I.G BLUE View Post
    They say **** like "the QB is gonna try to attack Amukamara" or "IMa lil surprised the team is not trying to target Amukamara" SMH teams aren't targeting him bc he's been solid.
    Exactly... I just laugh everytime cause they make themselves sound like fools...

Quote Originally Posted by The Notorious B.I.G BLUE View Post
    Prince isn't not getting targeted because he's solid, hes not getting targeted because the worst CB in the league is playing on the other side of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzlesticks View Post
    Prince isn't not getting targeted because he's solid, hes not getting targeted because the worst CB in the league is playing on the other side of the field.
    And yet when he does get targeted he gets the job done most of the time. Webster is an example of someone who benefitted from not being the worst corner on the field when he was with Ross...

Veteran
    webster reminds me of asante samuel. he worries more about jumping the route to make picks rather than blanketing a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.56 View Post
    webster reminds me of asante samuel. he worries more about jumping the route to make picks rather than blanketing a receiver.
    I don't know, he always seems to be trailing too far or looks like he is expecting help over the top that is not there. Not sure if he is running the wrong defense...zone when man or vice versa or is just losing a step...and rather quickly.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I don't know, he always seems to be trailing too far or looks like he is expecting help over the top that is not there. Not sure if he is running the wrong defense...zone when man or vice versa or is just losing a step...and rather quickly.
    yea that's another thing. him and the safety always seem to never be on the same page. there's times where ive seen a wide reciever wide open on a deep pass because of miscommunication.