+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL may eliminate kickoffs!

Banned
    **** Goodell, this guy has made more changes to the game than all of his predecessors he needs to leave the damn game alone. I said this awhile back if this clown keeps changing the game of football I will no longer be watching what will be known as a glorified game of touch.

Veteran
    They're not actually gonna eliminate kickoffs.

They talked about this last year and then it dissapeared. The only reason this was brought up again was because Greg Schiano complained about it. A little itty bitty complaint from a coach isn't gonna remove this.

They've been talking about doing this forever but they never actually do it.

It's not gonna be like the mel blount rule. Mel blount rule doesn't annoy me that much cause people back then said the rules were too bias toward running and now they it's vice versa. Point is first downs aren't automatic if you actually have good corners.

But that's off topic. They talk about this all the time but America isn't gonna let him. You remove kickoff. You might as well remove the commisioner cause the country will be calling for his job and no one will watch games.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    the day this rule goes into affect is the day I stop watching and sell my season tickets

this sport has been dying a slow death that started when the Mel Blount rule was put into affect
    It's not gonna be like the mel blount rule. Mel blount rule doesn't annoy me that much cause people back then said the rules were too bias toward running and now they it's vice versa. Point is first downs aren't automatic if you actually have good corners.

But that's off topic. They talk about this all the time but America isn't gonna let him. You remove kickoff. You might as well remove the commisioner cause the country will be calling for his job and no one will watch games.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    How is this bad for us lol, we suck at kickoffs both ways usually.
    I think you better rethink that one
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Let me ask again. If we eliminate kickoffs, what replaces the on sides kick for a team that is trailing?
    Or worse, what replaces the on side kick when the other team does not expect it.
    Granted the giants would never do it, so it would help us actually, but I still love to see it.

Did u read the part about the other team would start with the ball on the 30, I don't get the logic!
    Not the actual Man, Myth, Legend....Just a Giant fan since birth, I come in peace

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    So does that mean no more punts? What happens to punters?
    no there would be more punts. The scoring team has an option to keep the ball with a 4th and 15 on their own 30. Weird. Most likely they choose the punt option. So ones essence more punts after scoring plays
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    no there would be more punts. The scoring team has an option to keep the ball with a 4th and 15 on their own 30. Weird. Most likely they choose the punt option. So ones essence more punts after scoring plays
    Wouldnt it be funny if the scoring team was down and they went for it on 4th and 15 on their own 30, and got the first down on a fake punt. Haha
    Not the actual Man, Myth, Legend....Just a Giant fan since birth, I come in peace

I took a few moments to read the article. It doesn't say anything other than Goodell brought it up in a meeting with the Chairman of the Competition Committee. It's not even Goodell's idea; it's Schiano's idea.

The hundreds, if not thousands, of law suits being filed by former NFL players requires some sort of discussion about how to make the game safer. I've heard it reported that kick returns are the in game event which produces the most concussive collisions. Just thinking about 22 men ramming into each other would suggest that assertion is probably true.

My guess is this has been publicized as part of the League's long term defense strategy.

I'd hate to see it happen for many of the reasons expressed in this thread. But the League has a responsibility to engage in any conversation that could yield a reduction in concussions. At this point, they are just talking and I don't see it becoming a reality. But I do understand the need to have this and other conversations about the problem.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Hey my thread was moved to the creepy basement that nobody ever goes in, I don't think I've ever gone in anything except "talk about Giants football". Lol welcome to the other side I guess.

+ Reply to Thread