+ Reply to Thread

Vacchiano: Pierce Loves How Antrel Rolls

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1215213

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle's first attempt at shaking up the Giants came in only his second game with Big Blue. After a particularly bitter loss in Indianapolis in 2010, he criticized the coaching staff, the game plan and the lack of leadership by his teammates..

And from afar, the recently retired Antonio Pierce couldn’t help but smile
    Not long after that, Pierce called Rolle and told him “You’re the type of guy they need in that locker room.” Pierce knew, because a few months earlier, before a neck injury ended his nine-year NFL career, he was that guy.

It was clear that when he left the Giants, he left a void. A loud leadership void.

“I know they have other guys in the locker room they call leaders,” Pierce told the Daily News on Thursday. “But you can’t force it on someone. It has to come naturally. With Rolle, it does.”

It should be no surprise, then, that Pierce — now an analyst for ESPN — was thrilled to hear Rolle speak out so strongly on Tuesday about the Giants’ need to get “nasty,” to “get a little bit more dog in us” and to stop heaping so much pregame praise on their opponents. Pierce, who for five years in New York prodded his teammates with everything from words to actions to air horns, agreed that the defense of the defending Super Bowl champs has been pushed around far too much.

So he definitely approved of that message. And he absolutely loves Rolle’s outspoken style.

“I love it when he comes out and says stuff,” Pierce said. “Sometimes you have to step on people’s toes to get to where you need to be. Sometimes you need to start a fire.

“I think in New York you have to have a guy like that. You go back to Jessie Armstead, Harry Carson — every great Giants team had a guy like that. And it always comes from the defensive side of the ball.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Yeah but will they listen to the message this time. Tuck and Osi have been invisible and you wonder if they are having an effect on JPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Yeah but will they listen to the message this time. Tuck and Osi have been invisible and you wonder if they are having an effect on JPP.
    They listened to the message last season but that's history. What worries me a little is the fact that Osi has now seen fit to praise Drew Brees in what could be interpreted as a slap in the face to Rolle. If that's the case, and we now have locker room drama, we could be in for a rougher ride than we thought.

Tuck and Osi have not played up to their previous levels. Has time caught up to them? Who knows.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Leadership comes in many forms. Harry Carson was the unquestioned leader of the entire team and he wasn't a shoot off at the mouth guy.

I liked Pierce, he always had that "dog" in him, Rolle has it too. It is a fine balance on a team though. If you have 1 big mouth then he is a leader if you have 20 they are the Jets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They listened to the message last season but that's history. What worries me a little is the fact that Osi has now seen fit to praise Drew Brees in what could be interpreted as a slap in the face to Rolle. If that's the case, and we now have locker room drama, we could be in for a rougher ride than we thought.

Tuck and Osi have not played up to their previous levels. Has time caught up to them? Who knows.
    Osi's comments were very sensible. I think people who think it was gonna be some kind of back and forth didn't listen to his actual interview and instead read about it. He didn't drool all over Brees, he said he's a very good QB and he's just calling it as it is!

I miss Antonio Pierce!
    Gotta be in it to win it

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    It's was the same way for them last season until Rolle called the team out without calling any names. Tuck and Osi are decent players, but I could never see tuck as vocal leader like Strahan, Pierce or Rolle. Tuck has the C on his chest because of his tenure and nothing else.

I've always felt that they pushed the leadership role on Tuck. I think what Pierce says is right, you have to let it happen naturally. A leader is a leader because of the way he acts, not because he has a big 'C' on his uniform.

That's just my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
    I miss Antonio Pierce!
    AP wasn't the most gifted athlete, but he was smart, and busted his ***.....I agree, Rolle is the closest that we've got to him right now.

JPP is a physical freak, and I think it almost comes to easy for him...... Tuck has the body of a beast, but the psyche of Ned Flanders. Osi is just looking to get paid.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

I still think Chase Blackburn should be our defensive captain... he's not a hothead like Rolle, but neither is he a pushover... Plus, his football intelligence allows him to function like a defensive version of the "field general" when he's making the calls...
    Andre the Giant