+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the NFL may get rid of kickoffs

the NFL may get rid of kickoffs

The alternative would be after a touchdown, a team could either opt to go for a 4th and 15 on their own 30 yard line, or punt. A team will theoretically be able to hold the ball for the entire game barring a turnover..

welcome to the end of the NFL
    Last edited by gmenfan0488; 12-06-2012 at 11:47 PM.

There is an blurb (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9047--nfl.html) on Yahoo about it and I guess a more indepth article in Time about it. Guess the day of the kicker may be coming to a close or a seriously reduced role. A Punter's stock will shoot up like crazy.

National Fairy League
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Starter
    Well this would be the dumbest of rule changes in a long time in any sport. So you could theoretically already win the game by winning the coin toss and then holding on to the ball for 60 minutes by converting those 4th and 15 situations. Teams would just go deep and hope for a catch or a defensive pass interference penalty.

I kind of like it. Not really from the safety stand point but kick off aren't exciting, most end in touch backs or returns to around the 20 anyway. I think watching the occasional team try to get the 15 yards would be better than the rare big return or onside kick. And would they be removing the "kick off" out of bounds penalty? Seeing teams start their drives inside the 10 would be great imo. It would also probably benefit the Giants, our return game sucks, our coverage is bad and I see it moving the average drive starting position back which would help the atrocious defense.

And punts are less dangerous than kickoffs HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

I heard they were also going to legalize pot at the ball games.... This should boost sales at the concession stands.

It'll never happen.......not in the foreseeable future anyhow.

If they keep screwing around with the rules and watering down the game..... soon the lingere league will be more exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gmenfan0488 View Post
    The alternative would be after a touchdown, a team could either opt to go for a 4th and 15 on their own 30 yard line, or punt. A team will theoretically be able to hold the ball for the entire game barring a turnover..

welcome to the end of the NFL
    WHAT IS THIS? 2 HAND TOUCH? **** this sport.

+ Reply to Thread