+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: One problem about David Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    you should be less impressed with the coaching staffs use of wilson,,they are not playing to his strengths,,,,we need to use him like Philly uses shady,,,screen passes and more misdirection,,let him use his speed and elusiveness in the open field..this kid is not a hand it off up the middle guy, plain and simple. plus 4 carries? I dont care who is evaluating him, you can not evaluate on such a microscopic body of work. this kid will be tiki barber 2.0 when it is all said and done..I can feel it.
    And that goes back to an earlier point I've made before: If the coaching staff isn't utilizing him properly because he doesn't fit our scheme, then why did we feel the need to draft Wilson with our 1st when we could of taken someone else and then drafted another RB later on who fit the NYG scheme? Considering we find great success (and lots of other teams as well) with later round backs, it was an unusual draft move by Reese.

Also, I'm going off of what we've seen him do in VT combined with his time here in NY and that's a big enough sample size to in fact say that his vision is not what you desire out of a 1st round selection. It can be fixed though but the question is when will he get it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    And that goes back to an earlier point I've made before: If the coaching staff isn't utilizing him properly because he doesn't fit our scheme, then why did we feel the need to draft Wilson with our 1st when we could of taken someone else and then drafted another RB later on who fit the NYG scheme? Considering we find great success (and lots of other teams as well) with later round backs, it was an unusual draft move by Reese.

Also, I'm going off of what we've seen him do in VT combined with his time here in NY and that's a big enough sample size to in fact say that his vision is not what you desire out of a 1st round selection. It can be fixed though but the question is when will he get it?
    why does everyone say he doesn't get it,,,has that been documented? doug martin is playing because they have nobody else. the giants draft and develop well so we are never really in that position to force a kid into duty,,,this kid will be fine,,tiki wasnt so great when he first came up,,,the problem is the undying loyalty to bradshaw and the fact that this team just does not play rookies historically,,1st round or 7th round. plus,,plenty of players were mediocre in college and studs in the NFl and vice versa,,so I dont put much stock into his college days,,I think everybody is really frustrated and looking to vent on anyone and everyone,,remember what was said about prince? many of the same things,,now look at him,,he is on his way to being a legit top 10 corner,,have some patience,,,the kid will pan out.

Veteran
    not the kids fault the coaching staff just does not play rookies like that,,never have. you guys need to relax,,if we were 9-3 nobody would even be talking about him like this,,it's just one more than to b*tch about. the entire team should be ashamed.
    Nicks, jpp Ross kp all played significantly more snaps. All of them play a position that is harder to transition to the pros than rb...But, let's assume you are correct and we don't play rookies, then we should've drafted a player that plays a position worth investing in. guys like cordy Glenn, Andre branch, Kendall Reyes

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Nicks, jpp Ross kp all played significantly more snaps. All of them play a position that is harder to transition to the pros than rb...But, let's assume you are correct and we don't play rookies, then we should've drafted a player that plays a position worth investing in. guys like cordy Glenn, Andre branch, Kendall Reyes
    its just how the giants roll,,like refusing to move up in the draft to get a stud,,we just dont do it. if we didnt have bradshaw this kid would have gotten significant snaps by mid season. we can question the giants draft stratedgy all we want but we have won 2 super bowls in the past 5 years so I have faith in the fact that they know what they are doing.

why does everyone say he doesn't get it,,,has that been documented? doug martin is playing because they have nobody else. the giants draft and develop well so we are never really in that position to force a kid into duty,,,this kid will be fine,,tiki wasnt so great when he first came up,,,the problem is the undying loyalty to bradshaw and the fact that this team just does not play rookies historically,,1st round or 7th round. plus,,plenty of players were mediocre in college and studs in the NFl and vice versa,,so I dont put much stock into his college days,,I think everybody is really frustrated and looking to vent on anyone and everyone,,remember what was said about prince? many of the same things,,now look at him,,he is on his way to being a legit top 10 corner,,have some patience,,,the kid will pan out.
    Doug Martin overtook LeGarrette Blount who did rush for 1k yards in his rookie season so it's not like TB had nothing there before. The issue with Blount was his lack of pass blocking ability which Martin came into the NFL having some prior experience (but it wasn't perfect). What I mean by "he doesn't get it" is that he hasn't displayed the proper skillset to be a feature back like Bradshaw has. The pass blocking obviously isn't there due to the low amount of snaps and on some of his very limited carries, he hasn't displayed the vision to be the type of RB the Giants like. I promise you there is no frustration from the Skins loss that factors into my Wilson evaluation. I'm just being honest in with what I see.

I'm not sure where you see the similarities in Tiki and Wilson unless you are just saying that because they both have been Giants. Shady or CJ Spiller would be a more appropriate comparison but the problem is that our scheme isn't really fit for those kind of RBs.

Prince also isn't a good comparison because he was injured for half of the season and there was no way we were going to put a rookie CB out in that stretch of games that featured the Packers and Saints. Plus, as pointed out before, the two positions are so different and the development time usually takes longer for defensive backs in the modern NFL.

Doug Martin overtook LeGarrette Blount who did rush for 1k yards in his rookie season so it's not like TB had nothing there before. The issue with Blount was his lack of pass blocking ability which Martin came into the NFL having some prior experience (but it wasn't perfect). What I mean by "he doesn't get it" is that he hasn't displayed the proper skillset to be a feature back like Bradshaw has. The pass blocking obviously isn't there due to the low amount of snaps and on some of his very limited carries, he hasn't displayed the vision to be the type of RB the Giants like. I promise you there is no frustration from the Skins loss that factors into my Wilson evaluation. I'm just being honest in with what I see.

I'm not sure where you see the similarities in Tiki and Wilson unless you are just saying that because they both have been Giants. Shady or CJ Spiller would be a more appropriate comparison but the problem is that our scheme isn't really fit for those kind of RBs.

Prince also isn't a good comparison because he was injured for half of the season and there was no way we were going to put a rookie CB out in that stretch of games that featured the Packers and Saints. Plus, as pointed out before, the two positions are so different and the development time usually takes longer for defensive backs in the modern NFL.
    why does he not have the proper skill set? you can tell that from a handful of carries? tom brady didnt havre the proper skill set,,not saying this kid is the tom brady of running backs but you see what I am saying. To say this kid doesnt get it doesnt make sense,,he is a rookie,,learning the pro game behind an entrenched starter. you could have taken over blount,,he is a head case and not that good,,prince is a perfect comparison because up until a few weeks ago the same was said about him,,cant cover,,too slow,,wont pan out,,should have drated somebody else,,blah, blah,,,once given a chance,,solid,,,,,and this kid is in the mold of tiki barber,,small,,pass catching back,,,best in open space,,I mean it's a no brainer,,,throw this kid some screens,,use him on some misdirection plays and you will see a better player,,cj spiller is an awful comparison because his only asset is speed,,and I believe he is faster than wilson as well. I said in an earlier post that we should use him like shady,,play to his strengths. there just is not enough meat on the bone to make any judgements just yet.

Your compairing Bradshaw to LeGarretteIpunchmyownteamatesintheface. The guy only has 2 years in the league as well so you can't compaire Bradshaw with that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's normal for the Giants
    You asked for facts and I gave them...

and after looking through the Giants' #1 picks' rookie seasons, Wilson still sticks out:

Through the same period:
    Code:
    Prince Amukamara:
    7 games / 0 starts 1 interception 3 passes defended 12 tackles / 2 assists
    Jason Pierre-Paul:
    16 games / 0 starts 4.5 sacks 6 passes defended 2 forced fumbles 17 tackles/ 5 assists
    Hakeem Nicks:
    14 games / 6 starts 47 receptions 790 yards 6 touchdowns
    Kenny Phillips:
    16 games / 3 starts 1 interception 50 tackles / 7 assists
    Aaron Ross:
    15 games / 9 starts 1.5 sacks 3 interceptions / 1 touchdown 35 tackles / 7 assists
    Mathias Kiwanuka
    16 games / 9 starts 4 sacks 2 interceptions 2 forced fumbles 44 tackles / 9 assists
    Corey Webster:
    15 games / 2 starts 5 passes defended 2 forced fumbles 38 tackles / 1 assist
    Eli Manning:
    9 games / 7 starts 197 attempts 1043 yards 6 touchdowns
    Obviously there are still four games remaining so this could very well change, but as it stands, Wilson is the first #1 pick of this current group to be used so sparingly.

roanoke,,you are one of the more knowledgable posters on this board, you get it,,,,,some people will just never be happy.
    It's not about being unhappy, it's just confusing. Why draft a guy if you aren't going to use him?
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 12-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

why does he not have the proper skill set? you can tell that from a handful of carries? tom brady didnt havre the proper skill set,,not saying this kid is the tom brady of running backs but you see what I am saying. To say this kid doesnt get it doesnt make sense,,he is a rookie,,learning the pro game behind an entrenched starter. you could have taken over blount,,he is a head case and not that good,,prince is a perfect comparison because up until a few weeks ago the same was said about him,,cant cover,,too slow,,wont pan out,,should have drated somebody else,,blah, blah,,,once given a chance,,solid,,,,,and this kid is in the mold of tiki barber,,small,,pass catching back,,,best in open space,,I mean it's a no brainer,,,throw this kid some screens,,use him on some misdirection plays and you will see a better player,,cj spiller is an awful comparison because his only asset is speed,,and I believe he is faster than wilson as well. I said in an earlier post that we should use him like shady,,play to his strengths. there just is not enough meat on the bone to make any judgements just yet.
    I've already told you what he is lacking so far at this point - lack of pass protection skills (most rookies lack this to be fair) and mediocre vision to be an inside runner like the Giants covet.

Blount's actually a decent runner but the issue was that he was so poor in pass blocking, it was quite evident to the opposing defenses that a run play was happening anytime he was in the game.

Prince is not a good comparison at all and those who said he can't cover because of physical limitations were incorrect. Other than short arms, he has the perfect build and frame to be a shutdown corner in this league. Some people freaked out because of the Jacksonville preseason game but other than that, he has been money and there has been little complaints about him. He's the kind of player you can plug into any system and he will do wonders for you. Wilson...that's debatable.

Doug Martin is more like Tiki when you watch the tape. Wilson isn't as tough on the inside like those two are and he prefers to avoid defenders like CJ Spiller does instead of taking them on with his leg power. Spiller is a faster north-south runner but Wilson has a better burst of agility and I'll give you that much. I made a judgement on his vision which hasn't changed since VT so there is enough meat on the bones so to speak.

I understand you like this kid's explosive running and what he can potentially offer to an offense and that is fine and respectable but I simply disagree about him needing more chances. I think the coaching staff isn't giving him more because he isn't ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder27 View Post
    Your compairing Bradshaw to LeGarretteIpunchmyownteamatesintheface. The guy only has 2 years in the league as well so you can't compaire Bradshaw with that ****.
    I never compared those two? I brought up Blount because he was there before Martin...that's all.

+ Reply to Thread