+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I'd think they would adjust the offense to the strengths of the player if the player proves himself.

Ala Tiki vs. BJ vs. AB.
    So you're saying that Wilson needs to prove himself better in our scheme (which is nothing like VT's scheme) and then we'll put more Wilson-friendly schemes and plays in for him? I understand what you are saying but in this particular scenario, it seems sort of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    So you're saying that Wilson needs to prove himself better in our scheme (which is nothing like VT's scheme) and then we'll put more Wilson-friendly schemes and plays in for him? I understand what you are saying but in this particular scenario, it seems sort of silly.
    Put another way, they are developing Wilson into the running back who will be the future of the team. In the meantime he is handling the very important return duties at which he excels.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Yes, but the "prove" himself isn't just a matter of yards. More appropriately it's learning the pass protection, passing routes, running routes, being QB friendly, etc ...

In other words the Giants need to see a reason to change their offense. They've done it over the years with different personnel (including RBs, WRs, TEs) in the TC era.

For my thinking, David Wilson could do the most help by being the pass blocking outlet guy. As a check down, that kid could be really dangerous but it would require him adding a lot of finesse to his game.

Having said that, I agree with your sentiment of why draft a guy you KNOW didn't fit your system but the Giants have also done this in the past if the player was physically gifted enough (e.g. Sintim, JPP, etc ...). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Way way too early to tell with Wilson yet.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 12-04-2012 at 03:07 PM.

I think Wilson would fit better on a team like the Lions who prefer to run on the edges vs the Giants that usually dial up power blocking schemes between the tackles and guards. Leshoure is a bigger and stronger RB with some surpising agility and vision as well. I could care less who we have on our team as long as we could benefit from it.
    Considering we have basically never played him in the regular season, that is a huge stretch to suggest trading him away already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Considering we have basically never played him in the regular season, that is a huge stretch to suggest trading him away already.
    You realize that will never happen, right?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    You realize that will never happen, right?
    And I think its a crazy notion. I am not advocating it at all lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Yes, but the "prove" himself isn't just a matter of yards. More appropriately it's learning the pass protection, passing routes, running routes, being QB friendly, etc ...

In other words the Giants need to see a reason to change their offense. They've done it over the years with different personnel (including RBs, WRs, TEs) in the TC era.

For my thinking, David Wilson could do the most help by being the pass blocking outlet guy. As a check down, that kid could be really dangerous but it would require him adding a lot of finesse to his game.

Having said that, I agree with your sentiment of why draft a guy you KNOW didn't fit your system but the Giants have also done this in the past if the player was physically gifted enough (e.g. Sintim, JPP, etc ...). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Way way too early to tell with Wilson yet.
    We drafted him to play (learn and develop) behind Bradshaw and, as it turned out, Brown. To take advantage of his speed, they gave him the kick return responsibility because we were always behind the 8 ball on field position. You don't have a guy at the wrong end of the field handling the ball unless you trust his ball handling ability and speed. He's doing a damn good job returning kicks, is getting snaps here and there as he learns about pre-snap reads and blocking assignments.

If we kept Sinorice Moss for 4/5 years, we're not about to release Wilson any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Put another way, they are developing Wilson into the running back who will be the future of the team. In the meantime he is handling the very important return duties at which he excels.
    His kick returning has been a welcome sight for sure and I don't understand the criticism in that regard. A few people did mention this offseason that he would be raw with some issues in his vision and pass blocking so I knew not to expect much from him this year. I think he can be really good if utilized correctly but I question if he can be an AP type who can make all the runs or a Ray Rice/Doug Martin type that excels in every aspect of the RB.

JPP wasn't really a system mismatch, just an extremely raw and physically gifted player. You get the guys like Beckum (pure receiving TE) and Sintim (a 3-4 LBer) who had good physical traits that Reese coveted but that doesn't take into account the player's mental agility and ability to convert into a different scheme. I just hope Wilson doesn't end the same.

I doubt it would happen anyway. The Giants aren't like that with draft picks. I just happen to be of the opinion that Leshoure (who I admit to having liked prior to the draft) is a better fit for the Giants than Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    And I think its a crazy notion. I am not advocating it at all lol
    We are still in the denial stage with a tinge of anger lol

Serious question, how many of the posters bashing Wilson were also calling Amukamara a bust last year/early this year? Because if you were one of the posters you've already had your talent evaluation cards revoked. I'm wondering what you know about player development plans that the Giants staff have setup for Wilson. Or are you also preaching that the F.O. and coaches are TERRIBLE and never even considered such things? Hmm...