+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboys "incident"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    I used to work in a jail setting and it is amazing how many drunk drivers there are out there no matter if they are aware of the possible consequences.

I am not going to lie and not say I have never driven drunk. In my early military days I did..and was very lucky not to have hurt either myself or someone else. But, I wised up after a scare where my buddy lost his license and driving privileges on base after running off a base road. We were lucky that was the only penalty.

I think people think they are either 1) invincible or 2) never think it will happen to them. It's a tragedy but the accountability and failing belongs to everyone...most of all to the player that lacked poor judgement and made the decision to get behind the wheel.

The guy has to live with the fact that he was responsible for the death of his friend, but that is of little consequence since a young man lost his life and his family lost a son, brother, father, etc. This is sad and should serve as a wake up.

And, as much as I hate the Cowboys this is something that transcends a simple game. I hate the Cowbiys as a rival, but never wish to see something bad happen to any human being.
    Very good post.

I'm sure we all know someone who is darn lucky that it hasn't happened to. Not sure why so many think that it couldn't happen to them after drinking. I feel for Josh Brent. It was a terrible mistake that has ruined his life. The guilt must be overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by bELIeve_in_Giants View Post
    I'm sure we all know someone who is darn lucky that it hasn't happened to. Not sure why so many think that it couldn't happen to them after drinking. I feel for Josh Brent. It was a terrible mistake that has ruined his life. The guilt must be overwhelming.
    You feel sorry for a guy who killed someone? He doesn't deserve sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Yeah, I do. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment, but he didn't kill someone on purpose. He made a terrible mistake that I bet 1/2 of this board has made and gotten lucky to not have this happen. That was a good friend who was killed. He's in hell right now, I'm sure. The person who was killed got in the car himself. I'm glad that no one else was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Actually he does deserve sympathy because everyone makes mistakes...sometimes over and over. Unfortunately for him the lesson learned has been a harsh one. I feel sympathy for the guy because he had a career that only few could ever dream of ever having and now it is all gone. I have sympathy for the guy because he has to live with what he did every moment...sleeping or waking. The guy will be haunted for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by bELIeve_in_Giants View Post
    Yeah, I do. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment, but he didn't kill someone on purpose. He made a terrible mistake that I bet 1/2 of this board has made and gotten lucky to not have this happen. That was a good friend who was killed. He's in hell right now, I'm sure. The person who was killed got in the car himself. I'm glad that no one else was involved.
    I agree with you. Back when I was in high school and the military I used to drink and drive. Then one night I got a call from a hospital at 3am to come and identify my friend who was "brain dead" from a single car accident while he was drunk off his butt and only a mile from base. When I went to the hospital, the only way i recognized him was from the tattoo on his arm. From that day on I have never had more than 1 beer and driven. That is the reality, it takes something like that to wake most people up. Myself included!
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

I do not understand why these football players get all the DUI's. I guess its "Lifestyles of the rich and the shameless"

Condolences to the family of Jerry Brown Jr...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by appodictic View Post
    I do not understand why these football players get all the DUI's. I guess its "Lifestyles of the rich and the shameless"
    While there are some mature football players for the most part look at the lifestyle from the days of highschool and on. Most of the players with NFL potential are 'pushed' through school...high school...college and surrounded by guys that never tell them no. Even in colleges, many of the coaches are enablers as long as the player is productive. These guys...even the lowest ranked players get hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at them. Money combined with a slower developing maturity level usually leads to a whole lot of mess. Look how long it took for Pacman Jones to straighten out.

However, DUI's are not the province of NFL players. You are only seeing them getting them because they are a smaller community and in the limelight. If you could see the stats probably for your local jail or even county you would see that NFL players on a national level not even registering a full percentage of those getting DUI's. It is a very common problem, that no matter how harsh you make laws, will not deter alot of people.

There are probably more domestic violence issues than DUI's among NFL players.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 12-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Sorry, niether player gets zero sympathy from me. They both knew they were ****faced drunk & decided to use a 2 ton vehicle as a weapon & it cost them! I'm just thankful it was only them 2 & not an innocent family that paid for their stupidity!

Yeah, he did kill someone on purpose! You get behind the wheel of a 2-4 ton vehicle in a drunken stooper, you have just turned it into a deadly weapon!

Really, stop with the BS excuses for these maggots that drink & drive! Just makes me think that some of you fall into that catagory as well.

+ Reply to Thread