+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long before the NFL catches up with Shannahan's gimmick(College) offense?

How long before the NFL catches up with Shannahan's gimmick(College) offense?

I have seen this before (i.e. Wildcat) and it doesn't last in the NFL. RGIII looks good but he will not last if he continues running a college type offense. NFL defenses will catch up and he will take a beaten. Perhaps he will succeed in a conventional NFL type offense, remains to be seen.

I don't know if I agree. Here's what my uneducated eyes saw and were blown away with last Monday night. The offensive play calls gave RGIII a ton of options that he could go with on each play. The success of the option depends on the QB to select the best option based on what the defense does.....RGIII almost 100% of the time picked the best option. He was very quick and correct with his decision making, and darn good at execution.

the league caught up to Vick...it will do the same to RG3.......

I hope that atleast the Giants figure it out. Look at Cam Newton and Vick. 1 year after great seasons they were figured out and now make nominal impact. The jury is out on a conventional offense with Bob Gee leading it.
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

Everybody's waiting for the Giants to develop a defensive scheme and school the rest of the league.

Eventually, the way RG3 runs that offense, it will result in turnovers. I'm surprised it hasn't already, but it's only a matter of time. When your own guys don't even know what you're gonna do, bad things usually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    I don't know if I agree. Here's what my uneducated eyes saw and were blown away with last Monday night. The offensive play calls gave RGIII a ton of options that he could go with on each play. The success of the option depends on the QB to select the best option based on what the defense does.....RGIII almost 100% of the time picked the best option. He was very quick and correct with his decision making, and darn good at execution.
    I'm impressed but you fight it by plastering the QB no matter what the option is.

If he's reading the right DE to decide whether to run outside or handoff, get all Inception on them and use it to your advantage. Rush inside and have a disguised guy KNOW ahead of the snap that the DE will go inside and he will go outside. It's like Eli with the constant audibling before the snap, if you confuse them they will overthink it. It also means the team can't impose its will physically they have to play this gimmick carp.

He will be a great QB. Right now, he is benefitting from GREAT playcalling giving him safe options all the time. The pistol is a great play design for him. With that said , the league will get to him weather its hitting him all the time even after he hands it off, or just diagnosing it better. And if he doesn't protect those legs, much of his ability will be lost. Big scare today for him.

Looks like the NFL caught up today.

It's figuring it out and being able to execute defensive stops against it with QBs that have good-great speed and athletism. It's those physical qualities of the QB that make it work and give the offense the "extra dimension" that they're talking about. Cam Newtown and Colin Kaepernick both ripped off huge TDs runs today by just being able to outrun opposing DBs to the endzone. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    I have seen this before (i.e. Wildcat) and it doesn't last in the NFL. RGIII looks good but he will not last if he continues running a college type offense. NFL defenses will catch up and he will take a beaten. Perhaps he will succeed in a conventional NFL type offense, remains to be seen.
    The Redskins dont run the Wildcat. Please watch the games before making such judgements. Pistol does not equate wildcat. Thats like saying a team that runs shotgun all the time is running the Run n Shoot.

+ Reply to Thread