Kruunch's Take (Saints Game)
Most points scored in a single game since 1986 ... yowza!
1) Welcome to the NFL David Wilson (glad we didn't trade him huh?)! Broke the all purpose yardage and return yards records as well as being the first Giant since 1948 (!) to score a rushing TD and a kickoff return for a td. These are the flashes that great players show and I'm a firm believer in this kid.
2) Wasn't there a discussion around here not so long ago about guys like Brees (the supposed "real" elite QBs of the NFL) not having these kinds of let down games? Much less three in a row. Wait ... what do they call something like that ... a SLUMP?! Every QB gets em, no matter how great. Eli is elite! Nuff said.
3) Our elite QB has been off and on all year and this game was no exception. Some horrible throws book-ended around some great ones. In the end, he (usually) gets the job done and showed why his unflappability (real word?) is as annoying to opposing defenses as it is to fans sometimes.
4) David Diehl ... still has some gas in the tank. Players aren't great/suck ... there are shades of gray and DD definitely now fits into that gray area. I'm very glad to have him starting over Jim Cordle.
5) Our defensive line is still napping ... of course decent run games tend to do that to them. I think our big men need to go to a tackling seminar because good lord those hand slaps belong in a porn film, not an NFL game.
6) While I love David Wilson's break out, let's give it up for the Saints kick return coverage ... or lack thereof. Even Jernigan was able to get a big return on a pooch kick.
7) I have absolutely no faith in Perry Fewell's defense ... yet again. I hate the style, I hate the assignments, the lack of pressure and the lack of tightness in the secondary. Basically we're just waiting around for the opposing QB to throw us a gimme and if that doesn't happen, our defense holds the door open to the end zone. Blech!
8) Defensive bright spot ... Stevie Brown. I (jokingly) called him our Troy Polamalu in the past. I'm not joking now ... the kid can play!
9) Antrel Rolle is the most over rated, over hyped, over paid player on the Giants. He's the Michael Vick of the defense. One great highlight does not cover up 10 awful plays. He'd make a great WILL backer, but he's an awful Safety.
10) Our offense has become more and more vertical until we do not even look at the short and intermediate routes. As evidenced by the 3rd and 6 play from their 12 yard line last night, where Eli throws to Cruz who was double covered in the end zone (and this should have been a pick). Meanwhile, a wide-open Bennett (thanks to that double coverage on Cruz) was standing a yard short of the first down line with all the room in the world in front of him. Our offense NEEDS to develop a short passing game again.
Summary: Normally in a 50+ point game where we win, I'd be ecstatic and for the most part I am, however this game still left me feeling unsettled about my Giants. Our defense was porous, when it should have been smelling blood. Our offense, while mostly good still could have easily coughed up this game (2 interceptions and 2 others that SHOULD have been interceptions, including a red zone pick). While we didn't play bad, we didn't play 52 points worth of good either. Our offense needs more consistency and our defense needs to be more aggressive and all of that stems from coaching.
If we make it to the post season (still a big IF at this point sadly) we can look at games like this and the Packers and the 49ers game as the defining moments of the "true" 2012 Giants team. If we don't, we'll harken back to games like the Red Skins, Eagles and Bengals games where we didn't appear to really have our hearts in it. We've all seen this dance before and we've come out on the winning side of this dance quite often.
How will the 2012 dance end?
11) First 50 burger dropped by the Giants since the days of Lawrence Taylor...
Thank you Reddit
for the best gif ever.
The defense has been playing well. They allowed 20 points to be scored and one score was after an interception. That team is going to score some points and get their yards. They are still one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL.
I'd agree if they hadn't been soft against the run all year and the Saints rushing offense this year has been horrible (26th). 143 yards rushing in a game that was mostly one sided (against them) was horrendous. Almost 500 yards of total offense, is not a good defensive showing. The Saints only scored 20 on offense due to Saints miscues more than any amazing defensive display we put on. There is a huge difference.
Originally Posted by Buddy333
Originally Posted by Kruunch
In fact, I'd say games like this really mask some really bad play on our parts that have shown up repeatedly this year. Both on offense and defense.
Last year, PF "simplified" the defense at the end of the year, and that combined with some players getting healthy and some much needed fiery motivation saw them through the post season.
The question is, can they turn it on again this year?
Antrelle Rolle get burned sometimes but he brings it every play. He is constantly assigned to play oit of position and he Soldiers on and does his duty. The guy has no fear of oppossing players and he would never have a public cry/lovefest like Tuck and Osi did about Roach With Braids. We need more of Antrelle Rolles attitude on this team. He should be our Defensive Captain.
The reality is we dont have a great secondary. We are opportunistic, and get some good picks, but a good qb is gonna get big plays against us. We are better in the red zone where the field gets smaller.
As long as our offense can match them, and we get TDs instead of FGs, we can deal with it.
I'm more concerned with our run defense. We havent really been stopping the run at all against most opponents, and that needs to change.
Agreed. I am so thankful Chris Ivory didn't play. Although Pierre Thomas is a baller.
Originally Posted by DandyDon
Honestly, I wish the pass rush would get more pressure, especially now that we are in December and the playoffs are on the line.